BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 04-09-2013, 08:42 AM
Swedish Battle Tank

Default What Would You Do?

This is not direct at anyone person, Seems that everyday there is someone posting that they don't like this player or that player.

So here is everyones chance. Tell us who you don't like and why. Tell us how you would replace them and at what cost you think it would take.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Cooper's Law

I would be for moving Brewer. When he signed his extension it was a little overpriced but he earned it with how he helped during the playoff run. Now he's become slow, overpriced, and gets exposed way too much.

If we can trade him, I'll be happy. If not I expect him to be one of our buyouts.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSpace View Post
If we can trade him, I'll be happy. If not I expect him to be one of our buyouts.
We still owe him 1/2 his contract -- $7.75M, so that'd be the check Vinik writes him this summer, and then you'd still need to go out and not only sign a #2 (which we need already), but also another Top-4 guy to replace Brewer -- all at over-inflated FA prices.

I think we should stand pat with the players we have, maybe make a savvy signing or two this summer, give the team a chance to gel and grow with Cooper, Bishop, and the kids with rejuvenated vets and a simpler system to play. Give Cooper a chance to get some of his own assistants in the mix.

IMO, cutting guys like Brewer, Carle, Malone, etc. just open up holes that you have to backfill with FA signings. We've already got enough kids on the roster, so you don't really want to bring up any more permanently -- maybe Palat.

It's more about getting those guys to play in the roles and the minutes they are capable of playing and in situations where they can be successful.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Swedish Battle Tank

Quote:
I would be for moving Brewer. When he signed his extension it was a little overpriced but he earned it with how he helped during the playoff run. Now he's become slow, overpriced, and gets exposed way too much.

All well in good, but who do you replace these players with? Who do you think is out there for a trade and what will that trade cost us? Do you wait till free agency and go that route? But as Tim has said isn't that the route that one over pays? Do we really have that many in the "A" that are ready?
Old 04-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Jay Feaster's Cheeto Encrusted Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
We still owe him 1/2 his contract -- $7.75M, so that'd be the check Vinik writes him this summer, and then you'd still need to go out and not only sign a #2 (which we need already), but also another Top-4 guy to replace Brewer -- all at over-inflated FA prices.

I think we should stand pat with the players we have, maybe make a savvy signing or two this summer, give the team a chance to gel and grow with Cooper, Bishop, and the kids with rejuvenated vets and a simpler system to play. Give Cooper a chance to get some of his own assistants in the mix.

IMO, cutting guys like Brewer, Carle, Malone, etc. just open up holes that you have to backfill with FA signings. We've already got enough kids on the roster, so you don't really want to bring up any more permanently -- maybe Palat.

It's more about getting those guys to play in the roles and the minutes they are capable of playing and in situations where they can be successful.
Cooper does have one of his assistants "in the mix". Brian Garlock is in Tampa now, not Syracuse.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Cooper's Law

In my opinion Gudas has already surpassed Brewer on the depth chart. If Aulie keeps his recent form up he will as well.

That would slot Brewer on the bottom pairing/#7 D(depending on how you want to look at it). If Korobov or Sustr show they're ready to take a step up(both mobile, shut down defenders) then Brewer will be expensive and expendable.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
In my opinion Gudas has already surpassed Brewer on the depth chart. If Aulie keeps his recent form up he will as well.

That would slot Brewer on the bottom pairing/#7 D(depending on how you want to look at it). If Korobov or Sustr show they're ready to take a step up(both mobile, shut down defenders) then Brewer will be expensive and expendable.
You do understand that coaches protect players, usually young or less skilled, by putting them out in situations and against opposing lines, offensive zone faceoffs vs defensive zone faceoffs, etc, so as to hopefully give them situations to succeed, right?

Just because you think he's ahead in the depth chart doesn't mean he is, and doesn't mean he's ready to take on the responsibilities that Brewer is put out in. Hedman and Brewer are continually put out against the opposing teams top lines and skill guys in all situations and all zones and for big minutes. Their mistakes usually end up in the net because of that, whereas the same mistakes by other defenders end up just being a scoring chance or a whiffed chance.

Brewer doesn't need to be playing against the top lines; that's why we need a #2 IMO. But he's far better than a #6/#7 that you claim. That's just goofy. However, I don't think Gudas should be fast-tracked into that role either.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
You do understand that coaches protect players, usually young or less skilled, by putting them out in situations and against opposing lines, offensive zone faceoffs vs defensive zone faceoffs, etc, so as to hopefully give them situations to succeed, right?

Just because you think he's ahead in the depth chart doesn't mean he is, and doesn't mean he's ready to take on the responsibilities that Brewer is put out in. Hedman and Brewer are continually put out against the opposing teams top lines and skill guys in all situations and all zones and for big minutes. Their mistakes usually end up in the net because of that, whereas the same mistakes by other defenders end up just being a scoring chance or a whiffed chance.

Brewer doesn't need to be playing against the top lines; that's why we need a #2 IMO. But he's far better than a #6/#7 that you claim. That's just goofy. However, I don't think Gudas should be fast-tracked into that role either.
You keep saying that. But looking back at last game, I see 5 times where Brewer was really matched up against Ovechkin, while Gudas matched up 4 times. Now I don't have an exact science to it or am going back multiple games (yet, that would take some time I don't have right now), but to me it doesn't look like Gudas is completely protected and Brewer is completely thrown to the wolves. Maybe if I get some time I will consider doing all of it just to see how the numbers look over the last say 3-4 games and get a true system. This was more just an eyeball test (for example, if their TOI overlapped by 5 seconds, not using it).
Old 04-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Mike Gallimore has the Boucher data, and obviously my comments were based on historical Boucher data.

Not enough data on how Cooper runs his matchups and tendencies. That's obviously one of the things we're very interested in is how Cooper runs things, but you need a statistically relevant number of games in order to have predictable evidence -- usually a season's worth.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Mike Gallimore has the Boucher data, and obviously my comments were based on historical Boucher data.

Not enough data on how Cooper runs his matchups and tendencies. That's obviously one of the things we're very interested in is how Cooper runs things, but you need a statistically relevant number of games in order to have predictable evidence -- usually a season's worth.
Ok, fair enough. Being a complete numbers nerd, it would be really cool to see some of those number breakdowns of TOI (I find that a very telling stat) all put together on the site somewhere if possible unless I have missed it (I know, a big order, but hey, can't hurt to ask).

And for the record, completely agree that the sample size is very small (with Cooper). I personally would take Gudas over Brewer at this point, and am curious if Cooper may be feeling the same way.