BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 04-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
So similar to Carle?
LOL, I think "The Otherside" just created a thread you might want to checkout...
Old 04-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
So similar to Carle?
Barberio is an interesting player, potential-wise. Could be similar to Carle. Could end up more like Bergeron. Or... he could be the next Mike Green or Erik Karlsson.

But... his extensive time in Syracuse has really helped his skating and his defensive zone coverage. Definitely benefit from Yzerman's "don't rush them" philosophy, and from lots of time with Cooper.

I, for one, am very interested in seeing where Barberio is developmentally. Lead all AHL blueliners in scoring last season. Big range of potential.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Administrator

A good read from Chad on what to expect from Barberio:

http://boltprospects.com/content/wha...-mark-barberio
Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester47 View Post
LOL, I think "The Otherside" just created a thread you might want to checkout...
I think my views on Mr. Carle and the money we are paying him are pretty well known

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
A good read from Chad on what to expect from Barberio:

http://boltprospects.com/content/wha...-mark-barberio
That's a great read, thanks. So, threw a hip check. So no, guess he isn't Carle.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Looked very much like a kid making his NHL debut last night, but still I could see his strengths and weaknesses a bit. Let's hope he has more to show in these last few games of the season. Maybe he could find a spot next season and then move into the top 4 (replacing Carle) in the fall of 2014.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Administrator

IMO... no one on the blueline that's not a pending UFA is leaving (and we don't have any pending UFA blueliners). We just don't have enough organizational depth.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I thought Barberio had a decent first shift and then rapidly faded, but that's OK for a first game.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:05 PM
The Constrictor

Quote:
IMO... no one on the blueline that's not a pending UFA is leaving (and we don't have any pending UFA blueliners). We just don't have enough organizational depth.
I'm with you on that point. Barring any unforseeable trades, I think we go into next year with:

Hedman, Salo, Brewer, Carle, Aulie, Gudas, Barberio as a top 7.

That said, there are a few decent defensemen out there as UFA who could be looked at, but given the contractual log-jam we have on the blue line and the cap circumstances we're going to be contending with over the next couple of seasons, I just don't see us picking any of them up.

Also, I'm actually okay with that. I don't think half of these guys are half as bad as people make them out to be. Similarly to what you said in an earlier post, Brewer is constantly facing the best the opponent's can throw at us. The vast majority of his (and others) time here has been under Boucher, which popular belief says was a difficult system to fully understand and play under. I don't think there is a player on this team who hasn't looked at least as good if not better under Cooper than they did under Boucher.

The top 7 I mentioned above should be about on par with top 6/7s for most playoff/playoff-bubble caliber teams next season assuming Cooper does tailor his system to the players we have the way he is known to.

Would I like to move some of our heavier D contracts and pick up better replacements in the process? Obviously. But whether that is possible is an entirely different matter.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaej View Post
Hedman, Salo, Brewer, Carle, Aulie, Gudas, Barberio as a top 7.
Brian Lee has another year left on a one-way contract. He'll be in the mix too assuming he's untradeable (which I believe to be the case since he wasn't picked up on waivers or moved at the deadline when everyone is loading up on depth).

Sustr and Witkowski might be in the mix too for a roster spot.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:07 PM
The Constrictor

Quote:
Brian Lee has another year left on a one-way contract. He'll be in the mix too assuming he's untradeable (which I believe to be the case since he wasn't picked up on waivers or moved at the deadline when everyone is loading up on depth).

Sustr and Witkowski might be in the mix too for a roster spot.
Fair points. Looking at it, I'd say Hedman, Salo, Brewer, and Carle are sure things.

That leaves arguably 3 spots to contend for assuming we carry 7 D.

Aulie has seen a full-time role this year, but is an RFA. Given his play time this year, no way he settles for a 2-way deal, so we're probably either parting ways or you can pencil him in.

Gudas has, for the most part, looked at home in the NHL and gives our D a much-needed physical presence. I'd have a hard time believing we don't see Gudas in Tampa next year.

Barberio's a tough call. I could see Sustr or possibly even Witkowski giving him a run for his money for the final spot.