BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 04-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Barnacles Shout Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Side View Post
And our defense has sucked since he has been out. Salo is not, and has not been the answer. He is and was not an Ohlund. At one time he was a very good defenseman, but age is catching up with him. I think he makes a great 2nd pairing.
I think you are confusing the Ohlund we saw for around 15 games during the Cup run and the Ohlund who needed Lundin to save his bacon on a nightly basis in two seasons prior. Ohlund wasn't effective unless he was playing with a more mobile player who could cover his positioning (Hedman/Lundin). When Lundin got hurt he got paired with Brewer if memory serves, and he looked old and slow. He was nails in that playoff run, though.

RE: Carle. I'm far from ready to close the book on a guy who played less than a season under Boucher's system (one that has a reputation to be difficult and counterintuitive), and has now played 5 games under Cooper.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Swedish Battle Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
I think you are confusing the Ohlund we saw for around 15 games during the Cup run and the Ohlund who needed Lundin to save his bacon on a nightly basis in two seasons prior. Ohlund wasn't effective unless he was playing with a more mobile player who could cover his positioning (Hedman/Lundin). When Lundin got hurt he got paired with Brewer if memory serves, and he looked old and slow. He was nails in that playoff run, though.

RE: Carle. I'm far from ready to close the book on a guy who played less than a season under Boucher's system (one that has a reputation to be difficult and counterintuitive), and has now played 5 games under Cooper.
Nope, no confusion. We have not been the same on defense since he has been out.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Not sure why other teams can clutch & grab us at will, but on any given night we can pick up an "interference" call for checking the puck carrier...
I'm still f'ing irate over this same bullshit happening game after game. I try to make sure I'm not seeing things through my homer glasses but god damn, what the f happened to the interference calls?
Old 04-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Tim Taylor's WrapAround

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
I'm still f'ing irate over this same bullshit happening game after game. I try to make sure I'm not seeing things through my homer glasses but god damn, what the f happened to the interference calls?
They did actually call one on TJ last night, when he was checked without the puck trying to get deep in the zone. One, at least...
Old 04-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Side View Post
And our defense has sucked since he has been out. Salo is not, and has not been the answer. He is and was not an Ohlund. At one time he was a very good defenseman, but age is catching up with him. I think he makes a great 2nd pairing.
I agree that Salo isn't a #2, but neither is/was Ohlund. He was a 2nd pair at best, and maybe a 3rd pair. I think you are mis-remembering his effectiveness, or perhaps I am.

Yzerman must target a #2 this summer, IMO.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I think we rate Ohlund highly because it's been quite a while and he was the only consistent hitter on the blueline when he was in. He paired decently with Hedman but then so has Salo.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

I think you guys are all basically saying the same thing. When Ohlund had someone who could move next to him which allowed him to throw hits he was extremely effective. When he did not have that, he was not effective. Where that puts him on the depth chart, who knows. On the Lightning, that was a top pairing. Should it have been? Maybe not. But Ohlund was similar to Salo in that they were aged vets who you could probably get a good 15-18 minutes out of on the back end (I know, different players).
Old 04-08-2013, 06:32 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
I agree that Salo isn't a #2, but neither is/was Ohlund. He was a 2nd pair at best, and maybe a 3rd pair. I think you are mis-remembering his effectiveness, or perhaps I am.

If that's the plan, probably looking at going the trade route given this year's crop of unrestricted free agent defensemen. Yzerman didn't indicate what position or who he might be target (of course) but he did acknowledge to Cristodero that an off-season trade is in the realm of possibilities:

Quote:
The organization is so deep at wing, Yzerman said, there might be bait there for another trade over the summer. The Lindback-Bishop combination helps there, too. Lindback will make a reasonable $2.2 million next season, and Bishop, who will be a restricted free agent after the season, is under contract for just $650,000.

Last edited by Mike; 04-08-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat664422 View Post
They did actually call one on TJ last night, when he was checked without the puck trying to get deep in the zone. One, at least...
Yeah, out of many they didn't unfortunately. Lack of consistency seems to me to be the biggest single issue every year with the refs. It's like the sudden shift once the play-offs start. They pretend like everything's just the same as usual but clearly it isn't. If the game being called loosely in the play-offs makes for better hockey why don't they just call it like that all season?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:19 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
If that's the plan, probably looking at going the trade route given this year's crop of unrestricted free agent defensemen. Yzerman didn't indicate what position or who he might be target (of course) but he did acknowledge to Cristodero that an off-season trade is in the realm of possibilities:

Quote:
Quote:
The organization is so deep at wing, Yzerman said, there might be bait there for another trade over the summer. The Lindback-Bishop combination helps there, too. Lindback will make a reasonable $2.2 million next season, and Bishop, who will be a restricted free agent after the season, is under contract for just $650,000.
So what do you sign Bishop to this off season?

Last edited by KyleFreadrich43; 04-09-2013 at 03:21 AM.