BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 03-10-2013, 07:02 PM
BP Staff

Default Lighting Trade Speculation

With the Lightning looking at extremely long odds to return to the playoffs and rumblings about the direction SY may or may not take this club, figured it would be worthwhile to concentrate speculation about moves that may or may not play out in advance or by the trade deadline, which is just over three weeks away (Wednesday, April 3 @ 3 p.m.).

Several names come to my mind as potentially being available, be it by the team's or player's behest, once Yzerman commits to being a seller:
  • Martin St. Louis ($5.625m AAV for 2 additional seasons)
  • Ryan Malone ($4.5m AAV for 2 additional seasons)
  • Eric Brewer ($3.875m AAV for 2 additional seasons)
  • Teddy Purcell ($2.362m AAV through this season; $4.5m AAV for 3 additional seasons)
  • Benoit Pouliot ($1.8m AAV through this season, pending RFA)
  • Brian Lee ($1.15m AAV for 1 additional season)
  • M.A. Bergeron ($1.0m AAV through this season, pending UFA)
  • B.J. Crombeen ($1.0m AAV through this season, pending UFA)
  • Nate Thompson ($900k AAV through this season, pending UFA)
  • Adam Hall ($650k AAV through this season, pending UFA)

Last edited by Mike; 03-10-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:17 PM
BP Staff

Barring a trade request from him, St. Louis is here to stay (or for now), obviously.

Of the remaining other players, Pouliot is the only one I have any reservations about seeing shipped off elsewhere.

I'm intrigued by the idea of using the ability to trade salary/cap space in concerted efforts to move one, two or all three of Malone, Brewer and Purcell. Particularly in the case of Malone, I'd look to see if he was amenable to a return to Pittsburgh and see how the Pens might feel about returning Malone to the fold and what they'd be willing to part with if TB picked up half his tab for the remaining two years of his deal.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Does the CBA allow a team to pick up part of a traded players salary?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Cooper's Law

Yes - with limits.

The Brian Burke rule
Old 03-10-2013, 08:31 PM
Cooper's Law

My ramblings:

Malone would be attractive to a team trying to get the floor (or stay there) since his payroll hit is much less than he cap hit. But with the cap going down next year, it's going to be easier to hit the floor and besides those are the teams that want less expensive prospects.

Brewer - I would think that everyone would see the same thing we see. A player that is rapidly slowing down with a substantial cap hit. Perhaps a depth defenseman? So what would you get?

Hall is a player that I would think teams would like. Guy obviously hasn't let him out of the doghouse when he misplayed the 5 on 3 several games ago. But he is a good penalty killer and faceoff guy. I would think someone would want him.

MAB could be valuable in the right situation, but I don't believe that you would get much for him.

You forgot Thompson. I think he is someone you could trade too.

I'm thinking St. Louis is the big prize. I believe that we are going to go into full rebuild mode with another 3 - 6 kids coming up from Syracuse next year. Other than the fact that he likes living here, why would he want to spend his last couple of years with a rebuilding team? But on the other hand, if you are the Lightning, do you want to try and sell tickets without Marty next year?
Old 03-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
Does the CBA allow a team to pick up part of a traded players salary?
Yes Sir

Of the list above

Martin St. Louis ($5.625m AAV for 2 additional seasons) - Only if he decides it's time to move on... prefer a top 6 or top 9 tweener (on their roster) player and a top 60 pick coming back.

Ryan Malone ($4.5m AAV for 2 additional seasons) - Get him to waive his clause, PIT or MIN for a Dman or buyout this summer.

Eric Brewer ($3.875m AAV for 2 additional seasons) - He has a modified NTC, so ask him for a list, offer to retain a portion of salary and move for what you can or dumpster him via buyout as well.

Teddy Purcell ($2.362m AAV through this season; $4.5m AAV for 3 additional seasons) - This one's a little more dicey, as that 4.5M next 3 seasons a buyer would have to be sold he's a top 6 or intends to play him in a top 6 role for the remainder of his contract. Tough selll... perhaps out west?

Benoit Pouliot ($1.8m AAV through this season, pending RFA) - He needs to be resigned instead of being offered as trade fodder.

M.A. Bergeron ($1.0m AAV through this season, pending UFA) - 4-6th rd pick.

B.J. Crombeen ($1.0m AAV through this season, pending UFA) - added as a piece in perhaps a trade involving any of the others above for anyone looking for a pk/agitator.

Adam Hall ($650k AAV through this season, pending UFA) - Given this team has no sense of direction and apparent on-ice leadership, I'd be hesitant to move him as well. Plus, hate to lose his face-off prowess

Add -

Lee for a pick
Old 03-10-2013, 09:13 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
You forgot Thompson. I think he is someone you could trade too.
Yes. Added.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrice View Post
Add - Lee
Done.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:09 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Lightning scouts at the Sharks - Avalanche game tonight.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:31 PM
John Tortorella's Doghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
Lightning scouts at the Sharks - Avalanche game tonight.
yeah dog. DF Boyle for brewer straight up. Thorton for V4 straight up. Lee for anybody, or a bag o' pucks....straight up....