BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 03-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice

God I just fuckin' love Tom Jones

I mean, sure... SFY's phone/inbox will be blowing up from inquiries by other GM's to take a player who's salary will equate to half their cap cushion going into next season, right? Not to mention 20% of the "perennial" playoff teams have to shed what equates to his salary just to get Goddamned cap compliant.

I mean, hell, the one team we ALL know that VL4 would conceivably drop his NTC clause for has a wee bit over $12M in cap space which would essentially give them $4.5-$5M to sign...

6 more roster players

Because it makes so much sense to start trading players whose impacts go beyond being on the ice because something is so terribly wrong with this team right? So let's follow the Jones Methodology and start trading high-salaried, "under-achieving" players to fix what ails this team. Mental toughness and mental mistakes.

Is it so fuckin' bad over there at 620 that we have 2 guys behind the microphone now who have casually flipped into the open tidbits of "wisdom" and "speculation" just to get listeners or draw in calls? Is 98.7 really annihilating them that badly?

Is there the likelihood of a shakeup coming? Most likely. Is it absolutely plausible that VL4 can be traded? It's plausible. But the limitations on being able to do so are so handcuffing. If the middle portion of my rant is to be debated, and I'm sure it will, then I defer to my first part.

Such utter nonsense.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Send a message via AIM to Maverick9911

"Column" is being generous. Here's a guy who somehow got a regular spot and did nothing but rip off Deadspin, throw up generic and overdone "Best/Worst of/Top 10" lists, many of which were borderline stolen from other blogs, and yet parlayed that into a short-lived TV gig and now a radio show.

He's a Pittsburgh honk, and while I wish I had saved the exact link, he admitted as such once and flat out wrote "I'm not a Lightning fan." Anything he says about the Lightning is suspect, in my eyes.

Plus as a broadcast personality, he makes Dan Sileo sound like Peter Jennings.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick9911 View Post

Plus as a broadcast personality, he makes Dan Sileo sound like Peter Jennings.
Cold. But very true.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

You can trade who you want, not sure it changes anything without a change in the philosophy up top.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:55 PM
BP Staff

Marty's the one who will move if things don't turn around, and it will be of Marty's own volition out of frustration and knowing he only has so many more productive chances at the Cup left in him. Do not be surprised if the Lightning continue to circle the drain if he goes to the Rangers for a modest king's ransom.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Since we are talking in hypothetical, who would you want from them? They'd be double dipping into their farm system after dealing for Nash.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Send a message via AIM to njbolt12

Jones is an idiot. I just read his column and now feel bad I gave that page a hit. Vinny is the only legitimate trade candidate? Yup... just look at the reaction icons at the bottom from people who likely don't follow the ramifications and potential of such a deal as those on this forum.

More realistically, I hope the scenario Pete mentions doesn't come to pass.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Since we are talking in hypothetical, who would you want from them? They'd be double dipping into their farm system after dealing for Nash.
Hagelin sure does play well against us. Del Zotto was a childhood teammate of Stamkos'. Miller. Kreider. Christian Thomas' dad is obviously in the Lightning organization. There's lots of targets of opportunity in that organization.

Marty is obviously familiar with Richards and Torts. He's also got his offseason home in Connecticut, as I recall. It just makes boatloads of sense.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:28 PM
The Bulin Wall

FWIW, Garrioch said the Rags offered Del Zotto, Kreider and their first round pick in 2014 for Ryan O'Reilly in an article in today's Ottawa Sun...
Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 PM
BP Staff

Sure they did. Because Ryan O'Reilly is the second coming of Mario Lemieux.