BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 02-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Send a message via AIM to njbolt12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
I guess my issue with Boucher is his loyalty to his assistants, in the face of overwhelming data that says otherwise. I don't know if that's Yzerman's call too, but I feel like we've been limping along without Fleming's input, and Frantz Jean is just sabotaging us. Look at how Roloson suddenly did much better once he went back to his own preparation techniques. I remember Chief said something about Jean working on a goalie's stickhandling when he's still struggling to stop pucks. I mean what the hell?

I wouldn't consider Lindy and Garon turds by any means. Garon is what he is- a decent backup- and there is a lot to like about Lindy in terms of the tools he has. Altogether, average with huge upside, IMO.

Frantz Jean doesn't inspire any confidence in me. There's other factors to the struggles in net, but I think he has to go. I think it's a more specific issue than Boucher and the overall players and system.

It's extremely sad that Wayne Fleming looks to be losing his battle with cancer soon. He was a definite asset. But he, and Frantz, have to be replaced. Not sure if SFY or Boucher is more responsible for the lack of action, but SFY hasn't hesitated to make roster moves when needed, so this is baffling. Even if Fleming survives and can come back in some capacity (fingers crossed), you can figure out a role for him then.

Not trying to be a pessimist, I think this team is extremely dangerous - present and future -with just average goaltending. Goaltending is more fickle than really any other aspect of the game, but I'd like to see some of the incredible improvement in player development we've seen over the past few years migrate over to the guys with the painted masks, particularly when we have a gem or two in the system.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat664422 View Post
What coach would have made the playoffs with the Roloson of two years ago? So far this year, Lindback's stats aren't much better. Not trying to throw Lindback under the bus, just pointing out the statistics to this point. Goaltending counts for a lot in this sport. Remember the awful panthers team that made it to the Cup Finals with beezer?

I will say I can't defend Boucher crediting the team with working hard when they weren't. Thankfully they've been back to working hard the last three games. If that becomes a continuing problem, then we've either some players or the coach has to go.
My question I keep asking is why is it every goalie has the same issues in Tampa? That's why I question if it is that we are just all-time bad at selecting goalies, or if they are being coached terribly. And I stand by it has to hurt that we show 0 effort in defending our goalie/clearing the crease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
We've played much better under Boucher's watch than we did under Toc. So I'm going to disagree and leave it at that.
So being better than 25th in the league makes you a great coach? As Flycoon pointed out, pretty low bar.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
That's a pretty low bar. Toc = Ludzik.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
So being better than 25th in the league makes you a great coach? As Flycoon pointed out, pretty low bar.
This is why I tend to stay away from forum discussions, your blending what I've said with someone else. I never said Boucher was a great coach, or even a good coach for that matter.

But you claimed that having a minimum of one of the best players in hockey should make you a lock to make the playoffs. Well Tocchet had it and didn't make the playoffs. There is plenty more examples but I thought the Tocchet comparison would be an obvious choice to make a counter point. I'm totally open to exploring a coaching change.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
This is why I tend to stay away from forum discussions, your blending what I've said with someone else. I never said Boucher was a great coach, or even a good coach for that matter.

But you claimed that having a minimum of one of the best players in hockey should make you a lock to make the playoffs. Well Tocchet had it and didn't make the playoffs. There is plenty more examples but I thought the Tocchet comparison would be an obvious choice to make a counter point. I'm totally open to exploring a coaching change.
Fair enough, I did mix you up with someone else. My bad. True, coaches don't make the playoffs when they have top players. But that is what gets coaches fired. But, I'll leave it at if we are not in the playoffs, I think you have to explore if we should keep Guy (just like you I believe).