BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 02-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
Is it too late go reposess #25 and give out #24 or something else?
Amen to that brother...I thought the same thing when I saw that f$&%*ing leisurely Sunday afternoon skate on what, in Carle's world, passes for a "backcheck"...what a damn disgrace (both that play, and the failure of three GMs to have retired #25 already...the idea of 4 and 26 eventually being up there without Captain Dave, the driving force whose unshakable dream and iron will got done what they alone could not, ranges from being unsettling to an unbelievable outrage depending on the day)
Old 02-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Pyatt/Killorn/Panik have been by far our best line for the last 2 nights, not just last night.

Also, holding the puck behind our net for 8 seconds on the PP, once again, done multiple times the last couple of games. Coaching Coaching Coaching. Also with the PP, I find it beyond funny that you can tell immediately if it is going to be succesful or a bust. When they move around (swithcing spots and stuff), they destroy teams. When they stand in the same spot, hold puck, pass it, hold puck, pass, hold puck, pass, hold puck, no look Marty pass, break the other way; never ever succesful.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyRules View Post
When our best hope is Marty-Vinny-Pouliot as a line, we're in deep shit.
In deep shit w/Marty & Vinny on a line? Usually that's what people clamor for, they definitely have the chemistry. Not quite getting this...all three of these guys are highly gifted, creative, incredibly skilled players. Maybe just not a fan of French guys?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scobo_24 View Post

2) St Louis
What is wrong with him? Assists or not... he looks aweful. St Louis seems like he playing with eye patch over both eyes
Not to be the proverbial "dickhead", but you didn't think he was going to last forever did you?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:57 AM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
First couple of games this season he was back. I don't think Boucher would have told him to stop that quickly when they were winning.
It's a mighty coincidence that we played our best with almost zero coaching time, and have gotten progressively worse every day of instruction since.

Vinny came out playing like the star and captain he should be, now he's back to the autopilot days of our crappy years. My gut says the conversation went something like this -

"Vin, as our captain you shouldn't be getting in fistfights and leveling people along the wall. Leave that up to Marty, he's our muscle out there."

"Whatever you say coach."

"That's the ticket champ, now excuse me while I replace Marty's eyedrops with chlorine, hypnotize Stammer into never shooting, and voodoo curse Hedman so he can't fathom people skating both towards him and horizontally. "
Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
When they move around (swithcing spots and stuff), they destroy teams. When they stand in the same spot, hold puck, pass it, hold puck, pass, hold puck, pass, hold puck, no look Marty pass, break the other way; never ever succesful.
Pretty good summation. To make the games interesting I've taken to counting the passes on the PP from the time we enter the zone w/possession until either a shot or breakout. The average seems to be about NINE. I dunno about you, Guy, but IMHO that's about six or seven too many. Although, what do I know? I'm just sitting here slowly going insane.

I know the GM and coaches know more about the game, but from my seat hockey is an extraordinarily simple thing. Apparently you just quickly get it up the ice (basically a no-brainer with the two-line pass and the post-2004 rules against touching an opponent); then fire away from the backline, and jam the front like mad for rebounds and tip-ins. Simple as that. Whoever does the most of that wins. The more times you blast the little thing at the net, the more goals you score, the more chaos you put the D in, the more mistakes they make, the more rebounds they cough up, the more deflections go right to an open guy for a tap-in, etc. Only good happens. All this fancy passing proves is that you like pretending you're in practice more than you like playing the actual games. A little bit passing to get the D and G moving is OK, but you know in practice they don't just do a little bit and then relentlessy fire the disc on goal, they pass it around forever like a college lacrosse club killing the clock.

That's the coaches' fault. Everything that goes on is the coaches' responsibility ultimately, and Boucher having no answers, or lame, banal platitudes is disturbing.

Call me crazy but I still feel this club has enough youthful energy coupled with veteran smarts to at LEAST make the show assuming they get something resembling NHL-caliber goaltending out of their two backups on a consistent basis (those last four words being the main thing)
Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Enrico Ciccone's Blimpie Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
they destroy teams. When they stand in the same spot, hold puck, pass it, hold puck, pass, hold puck, pass, hold puck, no look Marty pass, break the other way; never ever succesful.
over and over and over again. then when the defense switched on the blue line and fires through traffic... Brewer takes the lead of the rocket richard race and Salo becomes the highest plus/minus in the league... i just don't know why they are changing what worked.

It's like the team wont shoot unless its a "high" scoring chance....they wont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
Not to be the proverbial "dickhead", but you didn't think he was going to last forever did you?
im not expecting him to be in his prime. but when you are trying the same move great moves over and over and 8/10 you turn the puck over...how about you change it up some?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scobo_24 View Post
over and over and over again. then when the defense switched on the blue line and fires through traffic... Brewer takes the lead of the rocket richard race and Salo becomes the highest plus/minus in the league... i just don't know why they are changing what worked.

It's like the team wont shoot unless its a "high" scoring chance....they wont.

Unless you are Marty, who won't shoot in high scoring chances, or one of the new guys who hasn't been changed yet, who fire everything. But yeah, glad I'm not the only one noticing that a little movement on the PP changes everything. This is kind of what happened last year. We stood in the same spot the whole time, and never did anything on the PP. It almost looked like those guys (our top players) were so tired, they just took that time to rest some and not have to move. As was mentioned, Marty is not getting any younger. Yet he is 4th in TOI. Stamkos is 3 (this is among forwards). No other team has two in the top 10 other than Minnesota (at 7 and 8, who are huge dissapointments). So, my question, could this be a big problem with the PP?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Quick note as I know it's been mentioned a couple of times already about the Pyatt, Killorn, and Panik line. I was really impressed last night with Killorn especially. A couple of times he really displayed the speed and acceleration that came with his scouting report. He also seemed to have a calmness with the puck which shows he is catching up with the increased speed of the NHL game.

We were awful last night on faceoffs (esp on the offensive and defensive zone draws). That is one area Stammer HAS to improve in the years moving forward. Vinny for a long time struggled in the circle but over time has become a way above average faceoff guy. Stammer needs to do the same.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:42 PM
John Tortorella's Doghouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by uf1910 View Post
Quick note as I know it's been mentioned a couple of times already about the Pyatt, Killorn, and Panik line. I was really impressed last night with Killorn especially. A couple of times he really displayed the speed and acceleration that came with his scouting report. He also seemed to have a calmness with the puck which shows he is catching up with the increased speed of the NHL game.

We were awful last night on faceoffs (esp on the offensive and defensive zone draws). That is one area Stammer HAS to improve in the years moving forward. Vinny for a long time struggled in the circle but over time has become a way above average faceoff guy. Stammer needs to do the same.
when the bolts scored to bring it to 4-3, I said " good- now they HAVE TO come back with Pyatt, Killorn, and Panik-" errr nope. They come out with Thompson, Ted Turtle, and Pyatt. Safe play- but safe is death. Starting to seriously question the coaching. Last season was a disaster, this team played so soft they had slippers on- bunny slippers too! Starting to see some of that second to the puck, "excuse me, don't hit me" stuff a little too often now-