At the end of the season.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

This is all about Vasilevskiy, folks.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:08 PM
John Tortorella's Binky

Yzerman on trade per EE twitter

"Yzerman says basically bringing in Desjardins is about having a better quality guy in the event of injury or call up to Lindback or Garon"
Old 02-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
This is all about Vasilevskiy, folks.
That's what I'm getting out of this, too. They must be very confident in Vasilevskiy coming to North America next season.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaej View Post

Not saying I'm a fan of the move and I know everyone here has always been high on Tic, but in all honesty, I never really felt like he had what it takes to be a real #1 at the NHL level. Besides his W's, his stats have always been just good, not great, at the AHL level and while he has the whole "shows up big for big games" thing, he's also always had a way of showing up average at average games. With so many other options in net (Lindback, Vasilevsky, Janus, Garon, Helenius, Wilcox in a few years), realistically Tic was expendable. That said, I wish we would've gotten something more along the lines of a draft pick, but it is what it is.
This. Tokarski's stock has been in a steady decline and he obviously wasn't fitting into the plans anymore.

Garon's finishing the year in TB, IMO. Desjardins and Helenius are going to finish in Syracuse. Simple for this year. It gets more complicated next year. Garon's gone with Desjardins and Helenius battling for the backup slot next year, as long as Desjardins is resigned (he's a UFA at season's end - really hope this wasn't a contract dump. I don't think it was.) Janus has another deal left in the KHL but might have an out clause (anyone confirm/deny this?) Vasya said he's coming over, too. Wilcox and Nagle are non-factors at the moment.

TB - Lindback, 1 of Helenius or Desjardins
Syr - Helenius or Desjardins, Vasilevskiy

Iif Desjardins isn't resigned or Helenius continues to tank you throw Janus into the mix next year, otherwise let him finish his contract in the K.

Tokarski's trade sucks from a fan's perspective, but this move gives the Lightning better options overall.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

I don't see how Desjardins doesn't get a shot at the back up THIS year. Garon can only have so many more "bad" games, and they'll have to give him a shot.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 PM
John Tortorella's Binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
I don't see how Desjardins doesn't get a shot at the back up THIS year. Garon can only have so many more "bad" games, and they'll have to give him a shot.
I hope you're right. I would love to see Desjardins in Tampa, but I have a feeling that's not gonna happen unless there's an injury.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Jimmie Olvestad's Dimensional Speed

Default Tic traded

I don't understand why everyone thinks Helenius or Desjardin is soo good. Neither have shown me anything in the last couple of years to make me think they are backup worthy. At least Tic is a winner - neither of these guys can say that and they both are having horrible years in the AHL - why would they be able to make the jump to the NHL so easily?

I just hope Tic gets his chance in Montreal - don't think he was ever going to get it in Tampa.

I bet the owner in Syracuse is having a fit - with Helenius and Desjardin in net - going to be tough to repeat (which he thought was in the bag!)
Old 02-14-2013, 12:34 PM
John Tortorella's Binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody W View Post
I don't understand why everyone thinks Helenius or Desjardin is soo good. Neither have shown me anything in the last couple of years to make me think they are backup worthy. At least Tic is a winner - neither of these guys can say that and they both are having horrible years in the AHL - why would they be able to make the jump to the NHL so easily?

I just hope Tic gets his chance in Montreal - don't think he was ever going to get it in Tampa.

I bet the owner in Syracuse is having a fit - with Helenius and Desjardin in net - going to be tough to repeat (which he thought was in the bag!)
Well it's not as though Syracuse's play of late has indicated that anything was in the bag other than a potential drop from playoff hockey.

As for Helenius, I'm not certain but I don't think anyone in this thread has called him good or better than Tokarski. However, he is on a one-way deal next season iirc which is something to be considered.

As for Desjardins, he actually has a better save % (though worse W/L and GAA) than Tic this year, and has proven himself able to compete at the NHL level before (albeit only in a 2-game stint with us, but he was phenomenal in those games).

The thought seems to be that if Lindback/Garon is injured, do you really want to rely on Tic given his mediocre performance this season in the AHL as well as his subpar play in his last call up attempt(s)? The opinion seems to be that Desjardins can be leaned on a little bit more without worrying he's going to fall over. Not necessarily that he will be the "better" goalie long-term or anything.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice

Just thinking out loud here but, I'm not so sure even Helenius is in the plans in SYR next season either, despite being under contract. Janus on the other hand...

One last time.... Spoooooon!

Good luck Tic!