BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 02-25-2013, 07:40 PM
BP Staff

I hope Boucher destroys him.

For whatever you may think of Guy as a coach, he's a good man and doesn't deserve garbage like that.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

The one time Boucher had competent goaltending we went on a very deep run. Yzerman should take a long look in the mirror if he does anything but laugh at the suggestion of firing the coach.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:36 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Of course the one time Boucher had competent goaltending none of the credit could have extended to his goaltending "coach" IMO.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

I don't blame the goalies completely. I blame the system and the complete lack of standing up and defending our goalies. I think that hurts their confidence. Lindback has had problems, but he has also had insane saves that has really shown promise as well.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:40 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
The one time Boucher had competent goaltending we went on a very deep run. Yzerman should take a long look in the mirror if he does anything but laugh at the suggestion of firing the coach.
My thoughts too, and the reply was, when do you take the spotlight off SFY and turn it on the coach? In other words how much of what we're seeing is on the coach instead of Yzerman? To my mind the GM picks the players for both the farm and the big club. If the farm team is kicking ass and the big club not, then the coach is better, the players are better, or the opposition is worse.

Clearly #3 is true but it's true league-wide in the AHL that teams are generally not NHL caliber. Could the players simply be better? That'd be not only a huge scouting gaffe but also hard to substantiate when comparing to Stamkos, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Purcell, Salo, etc. So the only thing left, unless I've omitted something, is coaching. Yzerman ain't gonna fire himself. No, not saying he's firing Boucher or that he should. I have zero clue what to do, I admit. This is just a discussion, where thoughts come with the typing, not necessarily beforehand...sometimes we know less after than before, but can't know that until done

I want Boucher, who like Tortorella won championships at every level he's coached, to win one here too. Although Johnny T had Khabibulin plus Sydor, Cullimore, Sarich, Kubina, Pratt, even Clymer was as serviceable on D as some we have now. The coach doesn't pick the G or D, so systems have to take over and take up the slack in talent or else it's bottom halfville, no playoffs. Systems & execution are the coach's job

there, clear as mud
Silver lining of Grubergate scandal: It reveals graphically the hateful contempt harbored by the central authoritarian controllers for even their own supporters. Democrats can disprove Gruber's repeated assertions about their being stupid, but only if they repudiate the "ACA" sham and the criminal fraud that was committed against Democrat voters in order to dupe them into supporting it, and finally join responsible Republicans in killing and burying the thing.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
My thoughts too, and the reply was, when do you take the spotlight off SFY and turn it on the coach? In other words how much of what we're seeing is on the coach instead of Yzerman?

To my mind the GM picks the players for both the farm and the big club. If the farm team is kicking ass and the big club not, then the coach is better, the players are better, or the opposition is worse.

I want Boucher, who like Tortorella won championships at every level he's coached, to win one here too. Although Johnny T had Khabibulin plus Sydor, Cullimore, Sarich, Kubina, Pratt, even Clymer was as serviceable on D as some we have now. The coach doesn't pick the G or D, so systems have to take over and take up the slack in talent or else it's bottom halfville, no playoffs. Systems & execution are the coach's job
The question I have is why do our systems fail always against what seems to be the same style team.
Why do we still pass like pee wees when pressed
Why is there still panic in the 'D' with blind passes and passes out front of the goalie when pressed
Rolly came in on his own without the tutelage of Jean..... did very well. What happened after his Jean experience?
I've yet to see any of our goalies improve at this level.
Since Fleming left the 'D' has been awful giving up the blue line like a wet piece of tissue paper.

So if you do not have all the "PERFECT PIECES" you are left with coaching and system to make the best use of your players.

IMHO - I think we are better defensively with the additions this summer but not showing it on the ice.
Goal keeping needs some tutelage that is not happening pathetic development there.
We can leave the exploits of the PP play to a whole new thread.

Dissapointing to see how they are playing. Because we are in the south east division I think we will survive into the playoffs but would not expect anything but an early exit.

you bet
really expected better play.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
I don't blame the goalies completely. I blame the system and the complete lack of standing up and defending our goalies. I think that hurts their confidence. Lindback has had problems, but he has also had insane saves that has really shown promise as well.
I could live without so many spectacular saves if he could consistently make the routine saves.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Cooper's Law

Again, I understand the frustration. I want to hang someone after every loss.

But this is a process not a quick fix. Other than Luongo, I don't see a veteran out there who is going to be this sure fire savior (and our friends in Vancouver wanted to run Lou out themselves).

You want a goalie who has gotten better? Exhibit A - Garon. Is Jean the right guy for the job? Don't know. Hopefully Guy and Steve do.

Is Lindback the man? We are going to find out. Cloutier wasn't. Grahame might have been without the reported demons in his life.

Yzerman is attempting to build a system. He has sacrificed short term gain by keeping players in the AHL longer than we have seen in the past. He's upgraded the major club with long term and short term additions.

It may not be happening as quickly as we like, but that's the plan. Will it work? Stay tuned.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:30 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Again, I understand the frustration. I want to hang someone after every loss.

But this is a process not a quick fix. Other than Luongo, I don't see a veteran out there who is going to be this sure fire savior (and our friends in Vancouver wanted to run Lou out themselves).

You want a goalie who has gotten better? Exhibit A - Garon. Is Jean the right guy for the job? Don't know. Hopefully Guy and Steve do.

Is Lindback the man? We are going to find out. Cloutier wasn't. Grahame might have been without the reported demons in his life.

Yzerman is attempting to build a system. He has sacrificed short term gain by keeping players in the AHL longer than we have seen in the past. He's upgraded the major club with long term and short term additions.

It may not be happening as quickly as we like, but that's the plan. Will it work? Stay tuned.
I feel like I just said this with one of your other posts: Yep. This.

They have a plan and like all others, have made missteps. When was the last time the Capitals, Sabres, or Blues won the Cup? It's a HARD thing to do.

Develop. Depth. Heart. I think it was Pete who said the future is with the kids in Syracuse, and I agree. Stamkos will captain them, Hedman will be the blueline leader. Lindback or Vasya or Janus or Desjardins or Wilcox (?!) will be in net. That's what we're looking at for the future. Tell me that's not awesome. Obviously there will be adjustments made, and adjustments are better than blowing a team up.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

I'm just saying that there has to be a goalie. When you commit to coaches like Torts and Bouch, whose systems put enormous pressure on their goalies, you have to then GET a proper goalie for that coach. Torts had Nabby and now has Lundqvist. Success. Bouch had Roloson's last good year and we nearly skated the Cup.

I know we are trying to build something. I know that Boucher is carrying out Yzerman's plan to try to develop Lindback into a No.1 goalie.* I have patience for that plan. So why would anyone jettison Boucher now?? Overhauling his staff is fine by me. But I see no reason to have one iota less faith in his coaching ability.

* - At the same time, I reserve the right to mercilessly point out how shitty Lindback has been. They're called growing pains for a reason.