BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 03-08-2013, 11:51 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
You didn't see the Jets forwards chip past him and then blow by him so fast he didn't even attempt to retrieve the puck? Between that and the blind hope passes around the boards (which is one of the quickest indicators to me of a shaky defenseman) that were getting picked off, I was just getting madder and madder they kept putting him out.

It's one game, sure, but he needs to show some ability to step up when injuries and the like press him into more minutes. If he tops out as a #6/#7 defenseman, that's not acceptable. Not when the big issue in this organization is a lack of power forwards and we gave up one in Ashton to get Aulie (granted, Ashton's not going great guns right now).
Maybe that would have been different if he stayed under Cooper's eye....
Old 03-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

What ever happened to using a little chip shot to put the puck airborn out to center ice? It seems to rarely be used anymore, at least I'm not seeing it. I always thought it was a safe play, and it's better than a blind clear around the boards.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:04 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
You should never, EVER make a blind pass up the boards if you're a d-man. Always see it before you do it. That's rules #1, #2, and #3 of playing defense, in my book. Turnovers like that end up in the back of your net, A LOT, and they're completely unnecessary. I'd rather a guy take a bump and sit on the puck in his corner than piss his pants because he's scared and make a turnover like that (Sarich learned to do that over time and got well paid for it). Most coaches feel the same way, too.
#1 rule is not to turn the puck over in a scoring area. Shooting the puck around the boards when you have forward support along the wall is not a sin IMO. I never seen puck clears other than that.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:37 AM
Popcorn Server

Whole coaching staff sucks. If they can't get the players to pass cleanly and not turn over the puck something is wrong. Seriously need to can the staff now, otherwise they are for sure going to lose Marty and if they do that they might as well trade Vinny out too. Same shit different game.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:19 PM
Snoozin' Zyuzin (aka Suddenly Susan)

Coaching staff questions going national now

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-in-tampa-bay/

Boucher has run out of answers and the attitude is trickling down to the players. Last sentence of this article might be the most telling part of the whole decision/equation...
Old 03-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutznboltz View Post
Coaching staff questions going national now

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-in-tampa-bay/

Boucher has run out of answers and the attitude is trickling down to the players. Last sentence of this article might be the most telling part of the whole decision/equation...
At the same time, it’s curious to note that Boucher has just one year remaining on his contract while his assistants — Dan Lacroix and Martin Raymond — have their deals expire in June.

That is very telling. And I'm going with what ChaseSpace said on the very first page of this thread, Raymond and Lacroix could be gone when their contracts are done.

But also, the sentence before that very intense last sentence stated that Yzerman expects that no head coaching changes are imminent.

My personal thoughts: This team is in their rebuilding stage. That's all there is to it. Our young guns are coming up and claiming spots on the team at a rapid pace. My opinion, why not bring Cooper up with them? I'm not exactly saying I have a problem with Boucher's coaching style; well, yes I am. But, Cooper does so well with shaping these young guys, and he could do just the same in the NHL. Boucher's rapid line changing, game of musical lines isn't and hasn't been flying with me for awhile, and in my opinion isn't a stellar way to welcome our rookies into the Bigs. The team is rebuilding, and the coaching staff could use some rebuilding as well.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Correct me if I'm wrong guys and gals, but isn't it Boucher's system, and Cooper is running it successfully in the AHL? Should any extra credit be given to the innovator?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Quote:
Itís over. And thereís a good chance the tenure of their coach will be after the season, too. Itís probably time to start pondering what [...] Jon Cooper will be able to do with this group.
So, that's from the Campbell story. And it does seem kind of inevitable that Yzerman will see Boucher's failures over the last two seasons and fire him. (What other choice is there?) But I really do wonder what Cooper can do differently with the veterans. Boucher was supposed to be the master of psychology. Do we just need to start dismantling and shipping off all the olds?
Old 03-22-2013, 01:24 PM
Jay Feaster's Cheeto Encrusted Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong guys and gals, but isn't it Boucher's system, and Cooper is running it successfully in the AHL?
That may only be an assumption.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5on5original View Post
That may only be an assumption.
From the couple of games I've seen, the biggest difference is how much more hungry and how much less tolerant they are in Syracuse.