BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 02-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by uf1910 View Post
He has that "height advantage" on 80-90% of the league.
If he was fighting guys 6'3-6'5 I wouldn't say anything, but he's fighting some guys that are as much as 9 inches smaller and 50 pounds lighter.

It's not JUST about the size, but when you have the size, how do you use it? Against guys who are 5'10 170 ponds? Or against guys your own size or with fighting ability?
Old 02-07-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
LOL

We will agree to disagree.
Who is going to do it? If the Flyers dress Shelley, Sestito, Simmonds, Rinaldo, and Hartnell, who matches up against them?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
If he was fighting guys 6'3-6'5 I wouldn't say anything, but he's fighting some guys that are as much as 9 inches smaller and 50 pounds lighter.

It's not JUST about the size, but when you have the size, how do you use it? Against guys who are 5'10 170 ponds? Or against guys your own size or with fighting ability?
My point is (and was) he has that same size advantage on 80-90% of the league so you making that statement as evidence of his lack of fighting ability (or whatever you are trying to imply) really serves no purpose except to let us know that Aulie is 6'6" and most of the rest of the players in the league are not.

As for the using the size, maybe it's just me but he has had no problem throwing his weight around this year. Granted he is doing it from the bottom pairing in somewhat limited minutes but what exactly are you looking for from him besides what he has given? As for fighting guys his own size, again when 80-90% of the league is smaller the chances of him fighting someone his own size are fairly slim.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
My point is (and was) he has that same size advantage on 80-90% of the league so you making that statement as evidence of his lack of fighting ability (or whatever you are trying to imply) really serves no purpose except to let us know that Aulie is 6'6" and most of the rest of the players in the league are not.

As for the using the size, maybe it's just me but he has had no problem throwing his weight around this year. Granted he is doing it from the bottom pairing in somewhat limited minutes but what exactly are you looking for from him besides what he has given? As for fighting guys his own size, again when 80-90% of the league is smaller the chances of him fighting someone his own size are fairly slim.
He is not a fighter, he's a player who fights on occasion.

I like the way he plays, but I have no unrealistic expectations for him.

You can keep using the taller than 80-90% of the league stat if it makes you happy.

He still doesn't go after guys who ARE more his size, or have much fighting experience. That is not up for debate, those are facts.

But even taking size out of it, if he fights some of the guys I listed, I might change my opinion of him.

Last edited by KyleFreadrich43; 02-07-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Quote:
Who is going to do it? If the Flyers dress Shelley, Sestito, Simmonds, Rinaldo, and Hartnell, who matches up against them?
Well first off maybe I was watching a different video then you but I thought I was watching Aulie pummel Rinaldo. I guess that doesn't count since Rinaldo is 5'11" and not in the same size bracket as Aulie but I digress. I don't see Aulie backing down from any of those guys if presented with the opportunity, maybe I'm wrong but until I see him walk away from a fight I will stand by my opinion.

As for the rest of the team, I'll spare both of us playing pros and cons of our fighters vs their fighters b/c it will serve no purpose. I think there will be fistacuffs on 3/18, you think this team will run scared so again agree to disagree and we can find out in March. Moving on
Old 02-07-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Well first off maybe I was watching a different video then you but I thought I was watching Aulie pummel Rinaldo. I guess that doesn't count since Rinaldo is 5'11" and not in the same size bracket as Aulie but I digress. I don't see Aulie backing down from any of those guys if presented with the opportunity, maybe I'm wrong but until I see him walk away from a fight I will stand by my opinion.

As for the rest of the team, I'll spare both of us playing pros and cons of our fighters vs their fighters b/c it will serve no purpose. I think there will be fistacuffs on 3/18, you think this team will run scared so again agree to disagree and we can find out in March. Moving on
So you judge him being a good fighter by winning a fight against a guy who is 7 inches smaller and 30 pounds lighter?

I just don't get your logic or what you've seen to lead you on that he's a good fighter. I mean, by your logic, if you fight guys that don't usually fight or are smaller than you, somehow makes you a good fighter.

Fight fans and for the most part the fighters themselves, judge fights and fighters by their experience, track record, and quality of talent. I dont know what measurement you use.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 PM
BP Staff

We gave up a former 1st round pick for Aulie. He better be more than an enforcer with that steep a price tag. Labrie should be handling those duties here, and if it turns out he's too much of a liability defensively to make it at the NHL level, then Stevie Y needs to replace him with someone who isn't. But Aulie shouldn't be placed in that role.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
We gave up a former 1st round pick for Aulie. He better be more than an enforcer with that steep a price tag. Labrie should be handling those duties here, and if it turns out he's too much of a liability defensively to make it at the NHL level, then Stevie Y needs to replace him with someone who isn't. But Aulie shouldn't be placed in that role.
Exactly, I see him as being more of a physical defenseman. I dont see him as a fighter.

As for Labrie, people on here have always told me that there's no need for a guy who only plays 5-7 minutes, well if that's the case, then how long will he be here? Otherwise, I can think of 3-4 guys I'd rather have sitting out some nights and then only playing 5-7 minutes when they do play.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:37 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Both goals Lindback allowed were disappointing, though the first being wide open at least has the excuse of catching him off guard. Obviously only scoring one goal on the other end kind of takes away attention from that.
Yes, you'd like to see Lindback stop Tom Sestito, especially after getting the same exact look on the 2nd goal. That said, both times the goalscorer was in alone on Lindback and you give any player at this level that much time and space, they're a threat to score. Even a fringe NHLer like Tom Sestito.

Lindback wasn't perfect but gave the team more than a fighting chance and the offense, which struggled to generate an attack at times, had its chances but came up short. It happens.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:46 PM
John Tortorella's Doghouse

Quote:
Exactly, I see him as being more of a physical defenseman. I dont see him as a fighter.

As for Labrie, people on here have always told me that there's no need for a guy who only plays 5-7 minutes, well if that's the case, then how long will he be here? Otherwise, I can think of 3-4 guys I'd rather have sitting out some nights and then only playing 5-7 minutes when they do play.
I believe that there IS a place here for a guy whose sole purpose is to back up his teammates with fisticuffs. The team plays more agressively when they know they have back up- last year with no back up at all, the Lightning was one of the softest teams in the league. Until Nacho actually goes with Thorton or Rupp, and gets an opprtunity to fill that role, it is tough to say whether that has value to the Bolts this season....