BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 PM
BP Staff

Pay windah!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Embellishment by the Turd robs Conacher of his 2nd of the night.
That was bizarre, but not surprising that the refs screwed that one up. The FLA dunce looked like he stopped skating and was just trying to hang on before Conacher blew past him. Little C moved him aside and went in for the kill. Refs you suck.

BTW, the sterling tradition of TB fans booing the F out of the opposing team when they get lame power plays holds strong. Such sweet music.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:12 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Ellerby - Crombeen

Crombeen knees Jovanovski and Jovanovski gives him a light slash and they start jabbering, as they do, Ellerby skates in and drops his gloves and Crombeen responds, the linesman tried to get between them, but both reared back and fired punches and the linesman got out of the way.

Crombeen threw a right and Ellerby a left which turned into an attempt to block the right from BJ, but that didn't work as the right landed, so Ellerby grabbed on to Crombeen with both hands....Ellerby grabs on and ducks, they wrestle....Crombeen tries to slip a body shot in with his left, and gets his right free....Crombeen throws a right to the back of Ellerby's helmet, Ellerby responds with a soft right and another that hits Crombeen in the back....they wrestle some more as Crombeen goes for Ellerby's helmet, Ellerby lands a right, ....Ellerby throws another right to the back of BJ's head and then they wrestle some more....Ellerby doesn't seem to want to fight....Crombeen cocks his right as Ellerby is still holding on, burying his head against Crombeen's shoulder....BJ goes for the helmet again as Ellerby tries to get Cronbeen's jersey over his face....off comes the helmet....Ellerby throws another weak left....they continue to grapple....Crombeen throws a right that misses and another that hits Ellerby's shoulder....Ellerby throws an overhand right that barely lands and BJ answers with another right to the shoulder....they continue to wrestle and finally Crombeen gets some separation...Crombeen throws another right that misses and then an uppercut that lands, Ellerby gets off balance and goes to the ice.

Win Crombeen.

Ellerby go 19 minutes in penalties.

2 for instigating
2 for unsportsmanlike conduct
5 for fighting
10 misconduct

I found it odd that they called Ellerby for "unsportsmanlike conduct" whereas in other cases, they've called the "instigating with a visor" penalty.

As long as they keep it under 30 shots, Lindback seems to hang in there.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
I found it odd that they called Ellerby for "unsportsmanlike conduct" whereas in other cases, they've called the "instigating with a visor" penalty.
I think they gave him an unsportsmanlike because Crombeen and Jovanovski had squared off and then Ellerby just straight up jumped in.

I remember Downie and Ovie dropping the gloves once before someone jumped in for Ovie, the player that jumped in was given an unsportsmanlike
Old 01-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

rant

The officiating continues to appall spectators and players alike. That was a goal of the year candidate from Conacher, while diving he pulls it backhand-forehand, unreal. Just as there was no pick, there was no hold!

I thought sure they would disallow Pyatt's goal too, since he punched it in. Got lucky there. How does it even make sense that you're allowed to use your stick to score goals--EXCEPT the part of the stick that's in your hands? What are you supposed to hold it with, your tongue? Just because I can do that doesn't mean everyone else can. Seriously, these hockey officials are acting exactly like govt officials or anyone else who gets a little power over other humans and then promptly proceeds to blur the line between staying the fuck out of the way while merely facilitating other people doing things, vs. driving the action, being the show, causing the results and making it all about them, as if they're onstage puppeteers rather than off-camera directors. Just as "regulators" and "legislators" think their job is to find something to regulate or constrain in order to justify their existence (and paychecks), referees think their job is to call penalties. Neither group seems to realize their ideal day would consist of taking no action--everyone governed themselves acceptably today. Can you imagine a modern referee feeling good about a game where he called no fouls? I can't even imagine it happening in the first place. Conacher's instinctual moves were beyond highlight-reel perfect, and he gets a penalty for it, and no goal. Just sad. Referees make me sad.

Know what I like? Games where we don't even NOTICE the officials. Remember when that was their stated policy goal....
/rant

Another great win over the panturds at home...they never do that when we go to the game

WTF is it with Lindback and the goofy, never-in-a-million-years-should-that-have-gone-in goals, in consecutive games? The guy has let in one goal in his last two wins that wasn't a totally preventable, bonehead gaffe, so he's playing pretty damn good....well enough for a shutout vs. PHI. We just don't need the goal in the first 30 seconds, or the Mike Smith puckhandling derby-a-rama back there. Play your position big guy, you have a WHOLE LOT to prove yet without getting into the fancy dancing with the puck

Last edited by Top Shelf; 01-30-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSpace View Post
I think they gave him an unsportsmanlike because Crombeen and Jovanovski had squared off and then Ellerby just straight up jumped in.

I remember Downie and Ovie dropping the gloves once before someone jumped in for Ovie, the player that jumped in was given an unsportsmanlike
I understand when that happens, but that's a "third man in" penalty. This should have been an "instigating a fight with a visor on" penalty, like the one Ryan O'Byrne of Colorado received when he went after Brad Stuart of San Jose.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
I understand when that happens, but that's a "third man in" penalty. This should have been an "instigating a fight with a visor on" penalty, like the one Ryan O'Byrne of Colorado received when he went after Brad Stuart of San Jose.
Here is the way they called it(this is from the NHL rule book).

Quote:
A player who is deemed to be both the instigator and aggressor of an altercation shall be assessed an instigating minor penalty, a major penalty for fighting, a ten-minute misconduct (instigator) and a game misconduct penalty (aggressor).
I missed the start of the fight, but from how it was described, Jovo and Crombeen were getting ready to go, and then Crombeen got grabbed. To me, thrid man is when two guys are already engaged in a fight. Seems like using this aggressor rule is just a way to say you stepped into someone elses fight, but the gloves weren't dropped so we don't think you should be kicked out (or something like that).
Old 01-30-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
Here is the way they called it(this is from the NHL rule book).

I missed the start of the fight, but from how it was described, Jovo and Crombeen were getting ready to go, and then Crombeen got grabbed. To me, thrid man is when two guys are already engaged in a fight. Seems like using this aggressor rule is just a way to say you stepped into someone elses fight, but the gloves weren't dropped so we don't think you should be kicked out (or something like that).
But they covered that with the instigator penalty. He should have also received an "instigating with a visor" penalty. I guess it's just how the ref calls it. Though they should get their shit together and make one specific call.

Rule 46 - Fighting

46.1 Fighting A fight shall be deemed to have occurred when at least one player (or goalkeeper) punches or attempts to punch an opponent repeatedly or when two players wrestle in such a manner as to make it difficult for the Linesmen to intervene and separate the combatants.

The Referees are provided very wide latitude in the penalties with which they may impose under this rule. This is done intentionally to enable them to differentiate between the obvious degrees of responsibility of the participants either for starting the fighting or persisting in continuing the fighting. The discretion provided should be exercised realistically.

46.2 Aggressor The aggressor in an altercation shall be the player who continues to throw punches in an attempt to inflict punishment on his opponent who is in a defenseless position or who is an unwilling combatant.

A player must be deemed the aggressor when he has clearly won the fight but he continues throwing and landing punches in a further attempt to inflict punishment and/or injury on his opponent who is no longer in a position to defend himself.

A player who is deemed to be the aggressor of an altercation shall be assessed a major penalty for fighting and a game misconduct.

A player who is deemed to be the aggressor of an altercation will have this recorded as an aggressor of an altercation for statistical and suspension purposes.

A player who is deemed to be both the instigator and aggressor of an altercation shall be assessed an instigating minor penalty, a major penalty for fighting, a ten-minute misconduct (instigator) and a game misconduct penalty (aggressor).

46.6 Face Protection - If a player penalized as an instigator of an altercation is wearing a face shield (including a goalkeeper), he shall be assessed an additional unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Should the player (including a goalkeeper) who instigates the fight be wearing a face shield, but removes it before instigating the altercation, the additional unsportsmanlike conduct penalty shall not apply.

46.11 Instigator - An instigator of an altercation shall be a player who by his actions or demeanor demonstrates any/some of the following criteria: distance traveled; gloves off first; first punch thrown; menacing attitude or posture; verbal instigation or threats; conduct in retaliation to a prior game (or season) incident; obvious retribution for a previous incident in the game or season.

A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation shall be assessed an instigating minor penalty, a major penalty for fighting and a ten-minute misconduct.

If the same player or goalkeeper is deemed to be the instigator of a second altercation in the same game, he shall be assessed an instigating minor penalty, a major penalty for fighting and a game misconduct.

When a player receives his third instigator penalty in one Regular season, he is automatically given a game misconduct following that third violation.

46.14 Major Penalty A major penalty shall be imposed on any player who fights.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Eh, so they got the minutes right but messed up the calls, it's NHL refs, the worst at any level of any sport.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Larry Hirsch's Travel Agent

Im going to go against all here and say I have been fine with the officiating thus far. Im not saying it has been spot on but compared to the hosing we have gotten in the past this year hasnt been so bad.

my rant: The whole nhl, ESPN, TSN, aka every news outlet.
What is it with the infatuation of washington sucking and ovechkin finally getting a goal, and all the "should be top teams" that are struggling. My point is, what do we have to do to get some attention. I have been on ESPN, NHL, etc every day for each of our last wins and we have yet to make it in one of the 5 front picture news headlines. Its just dissapointing. We are arguably the best team in the east and the top 4 in the NHL. All of our home games have been sell outs and we still get no recognition.
/RANT
That is all. at least we have yzerman and Vinik.

and one last statement...
DEATH, TAXES, CONCACHER!!!