BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 01-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Default Early line combo questions

Will Bouch keep the Purcell-Stamkos-St.Louis line together after they did so well last season?

Who is our No. 6 forward? Pouliot or can a kid like Conacher stick?

Seems like plenty of options with the lower lines, but who's got real potential to actually chip in goals or consistent energy or handle the tough sledding (vs. who's just going to skate laps)? I'm very curious to see how our little ones, Conacher and Tyler Johnson, show out. If there's anyone to learn from it's Marty.

I'm afraid I don't see the makings of a real formidable offense (more like a one-line team that's not so hard to defend ... just like last season), so the coaching staff sure as hell better fix the power play if they even want to compete.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Apparently Conacher is skating regularly with Vinny, and looking pretty good to boot.

I wouldn't mind seeing how that works out, give Vinny that kick in the butt that gets him going.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpin View Post
Apparently Conacher is skating regularly with Vinny, and looking pretty good to boot.

I wouldn't mind seeing how that works out, give Vinny that kick in the butt that gets him going.
Apparently the requirement for that to happen is to pair him with someone under 5'9.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
Apparently the requirement for that to happen is to pair him with someone under 5'9.
I'm not one to judge a man on what turns him on....

Bad choice of words?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Steve F**king Yzerman

How is Conacher's shot? I think the thing with Vinny is he has become a very big "Team first" type guy. What I mean by that is he seems more concerned with making a pass than firing off a shot (Marty has also developed that). So I think you need someone Vinny can set up at this point (unless he changes from the last year or two).
Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpin View Post
I'm not one to judge a man on what turns him on....

Bad choice of words?
I dunno...he did say pair him with, not mate him with...

Guess all defensive pairings are suspect now
Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
Vinny...seems more concerned with making a pass than firing off a shot (Marty has also developed that).
Good point...that menality needs to be pounded out of them by the coaching staff. If you think "Shoot first, unless I have a clear lane TO A GUY WHO'S IN BETTER SCORING POSITION THAN I AM" (huge point right there for Marty and Vinny to get through their thick helmets),...only good things end up as an overall result. You could score, create a rebound or tip-in, get the G and D on their heels scrambling and subsequently set up a goal or scoring chance, etc. If you think pass first, you may never get that lane, or the guy has skated beyond scoring position, or it goes off the mark or gets blocked, odd-man breakout goes the other way, no shot on goal, and no scoring results. No thanks. Overpassing also totally ruins the PP, emboldening the other team to play more aggressively...if they get a penalty they know you won't shoot, just endlessly cycle and pass around the perimeter. And all the fans in unison chant: "Shoooooooooooot!"

Best advice to young players: You miss 100% of the shots you never take. (--Gretzky) So grip it & rip it. Quickly and on goal.

Marty & Vinny, we'll see plenty of the fancy passes from them...preferably when we're up by 2 or 3 goals with under a minute to play
Old 01-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Vinny's great strength in my opinion is his versatility. He's been a solid setup man when he's had goal-scoring wingers (although I think many of his creative dance moves no longer work in today's tight-checking NHL). And he has proven to be a finisher when he's had a consistent playmaker on his wing. But I can't recall anyone other than Marty filling that role. I thought Vinny's career was trending toward him becoming more of a goal-scoring power forward, but last year he didn't really do much of anything consistently.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Purcell-Stamkos-St.Louis
Malone-VL-Connolly
Pouliot-Pyatt-Thompson
Crombeen-Hall-Tyrell

Hedman-Brewer
Carle-Salo
MAB-Lee

Lindback
Helenius/Tokarski

I doubt any forward prospects make the team unless you call Connolly a prospect. Our 7th D will come down to Mikkelson and Aulie. Lord knows what the backup situation is going to look like.

Last edited by RSchmitz; 01-16-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Cooper's Law

Connolly won't be in Tampa this year unless it's an injury call-up.