BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Farm

Old 01-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSpace View Post
Another thing to remember, with the buyouts and the extreme shortness at which teams have to get ready for the season you could see some teams get antsy and look to buy some players after they buyout some bad contracts.

I can actually see MAB getting bought out. No point in keeping him when he's practically useless since Marty can play his position on powerplays. Salo can also replace him as well.

If teams are buying I can see them being interested in Malone, salary is less than caphit and he's decent for his role. He fills a spot here but if we get a good deal involving a good D prospect or some good draft picks I can see him being moved and letting some of the younger guys fight for that top-6 spot.
I'd be surprised if we did anything with Bugsy this season. Cap space is not an issue as the prorated cap stayed at the pre lockout level. This offseason is a different story given the cap reduction to $64M. Also with the short camp we can't give the young guys a full camp to evaluate whether they fit in that top 6 role much less whether they are ready.

I think Bergeron's contract expires after this year so if that is the case the chances of him returning are somewhere between slim and not a chance in hell
Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Phil Esposito's Soninlawov

Send a message via AIM to nhljohnson

Malone has a NMC in effect through July 1, I believe, so he's in the driver's seat if the Lightning had any interest in trading him. After July 1, the NMC modifies to a limited NTC that allows Malone to designate (probably upon request) a list of 12 teams that he would be willing to accept a trade to.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:04 PM
XO Sniper

Agreed. Malone is here to stay until at least July 1.. Doesn't make sense trading him now even if we could.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:03 PM
The Constrictor

The compliance buyouts are not until this summer. I assume thats what is being discussed. Otherwise, i dont see yzerman tying up valuable capspace for 2+ years with a buyout this season.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Brett Connolly's Gum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalskate View Post
I'm not sold on Bergeron and Lee as definite for Tampa (though Bergeron probably has a spot by default..). I'd say Mikkelson is a legit 5 or 6 Dman, but NOT a top four, where he was miscast last season. If Barberio, Aulie and Gudas get a shot to out play those cats, they just might. BUT...The Bolts are going to want Gudas to play every night, so if he won't be a top 6 here, he will stay in Syracuse. Is there any room for more than 1 forward from Cuse to move up? (assuming connolly makes the team) Connolly might be a legit third liner for the Bolts, maybe with Pyatt and Killorn or Conacher - or even Panik? The bolts might actually get some scoring from the third line with those guys penciled in...Will Crombeen play on the fourth line with Hall and Thompson? I don't know where BJ fits, but I do know this team was SORELY lacking in the grit/ sandpaper department last season-
I think Lee will make the team for sure and is actually probably ahead of Mikkelson on the depth chart. I say there is no doubt Lee starts the season in Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSpace View Post
Another thing to remember, with the buyouts and the extreme shortness at which teams have to get ready for the season you could see some teams get antsy and look to buy some players after they buyout some bad contracts.

I can actually see MAB getting bought out. No point in keeping him when he's practically useless since Marty can play his position on powerplays. Salo can also replace him as well.

If teams are buying I can see them being interested in Malone, salary is less than caphit and he's decent for his role. He fills a spot here but if we get a good deal involving a good D prospect or some good draft picks I can see him being moved and letting some of the younger guys fight for that top-6 spot.
I really don't see the point in buying out Bergeron.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:03 AM
John Tortorella's Doghouse

Quote:
I think Lee will make the team for sure and is actually probably ahead of Mikkelson on the depth chart. I say there is no doubt Lee starts the season in Tampa.
Really? What brings you to that conclusion? As I recall, Lee was WAY overmatched often times last season- at the end he was looking pretty sloppy in our own zone I thought- Mikkelson appears to me to be a lot more polished all around- I guess we'll find out soon enough!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Steve Ludzik's Leisure Suit Vest

Well if we don't make the playoffs I could see Malone traded on Trade deadline, he is 33 now and if he wants a Stanley Cup badly, he could very well say okay to a trade to the right team.
And I expact Salo on the block in this senario as well.

And then Sy would give some young guns a chance.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Phil Esposito's Soninlawov

Send a message via AIM to nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalskate View Post
Really? What brings you to that conclusion? As I recall, Lee was WAY overmatched often times last season- at the end he was looking pretty sloppy in our own zone I thought- Mikkelson appears to me to be a lot more polished all around- I guess we'll find out soon enough!
The organization traded for Lee and re-signed him to a one-way ticket for 2-years. That right there should tell you all you need to know. Despite your opinion of his play at the tail end of last season, his combination of size, mobility, two-way ability appeals to the current regime. He should be a lock for bottom-pairing minutes perhaps supplemented with occasional looks on the power play and perhaps stints, as needed, in the top-4.

Pretty much the same can be said for Mikkelson, though he'll need to be re-signed after the season if he's part of the Lightning's future plans. Which is a possibility (if not already, then to develop) but something I wouldn't count on.

Last edited by nhljohnson; 01-11-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM
BP Staff

Tonight's lineup for Syracuse will probably be the one that gives us a flavor of who is going to Tampa. Keep an eye out to see if and when Hutchings and Landry are called to Syracuse, too.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Cooper's Law

Don't understand. The Crunch have said that no one will be sent to Tampa until after Saturdays game.