BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 12-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts_26 View Post
I saw the huge debate over the "Happy holidays" Vs. "Merry Christmas" and I don't really get the big deal. I work a job dealing with many people so I just go with "Happy Holidays" as they may celebrate something other then Christmas.
It sure is easier, since it covers 'em all in only five syllables. Friendly greetings are just that, a way of being friendly--the heck with people wanting to take issue. If it's July 4th, I'm not worried that somebody could find independence scary and instead prefer a strong dictatorship, or maybe they believe we should have stayed in England rather than challenging anyone for a piece of the new world; I say Happy Independence Day. They're "free" to take it as intended.

Get this one: Even saying 'Happy Holidays' could offend any touchy Jehovah's Witness, which is a person who doesn't believe in ANY holidays. To them, no "true Christian" even celebrates Christmas!
Oops: “Observations do not show rising temperatures throughout the tropical troposphere unless you accept one single study...and discount a wealth of others. This is just downright dangerous. We need to communicate the uncertainty and be honest." --Peter Thorne, U.K. Met Office

Thorne in another e-mail: “I also think the science is being manipulated to put a political spin on it.”
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybel...eir-science/2/
Old 12-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

My attitude is the more holidays the better so if someone wants me to be a part of theirs by wishing me a happy one even if it's not my culture or religion then hooray!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Cooper's Law

My daughter watched a clerk brought to tears by a customer after wishing them "Happy Holidays." How pathetic and contrary to the spirit that she was trying to foster.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Someone is trying to wish me a good holiday, whether it be Christmas or generic. Can't people just look past the actual words and read the intention? Yeesh. Some people just make a big deal out of what should be nothing, for sure.

I started being a little more conscious of it when I started attending the holiday parties of the practice my gf works for. All assistants are Christian-based, all doctors are Jewish.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Send a message via AIM to Maverick9911

Quote:
My daughter watched a clerk brought to tears by a customer after wishing them "Happy Holidays." How pathetic and contrary to the spirit that she was trying to foster.
I went to Catholic school all through grade 12 and we were always forced to wear buttons/pins/sweatshirts that read "Jesus is the reason for the season", and the nuns actively told us to argue with anyone who doubted or believed otherwise. In college, when I was a RA and put up a holiday board discussing the history and traditions of Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and Ramadan, I was reprimanded for including the latter half and semi-frowned upon for putting up the second holiday.

Hell, even looking at the Facebook update for Chick-Fil-A yesterday when they mentioned the word "holiday", commenters were getting livid and threatening to boycott (I guess the Summer of Love is but a distant memory).

I say "Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays" - a split second longer but all encompassing
Old 12-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Someone is trying to wish me a good holiday, whether it be Christmas or generic. Can't people just look past the actual words and read the intention? Yeesh. Some people just make a big deal out of what should be nothing, for sure.
Agreed. I guess people have nothing else to worry about that when someone is trying to be nice they get bent out of shape by the choice of words when the intent in the first place is all that matters (rather all that should matter).

Maybe we should all meet in the middle and say Merry Holidays
Old 12-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

{This whole thread}
Oops: “Observations do not show rising temperatures throughout the tropical troposphere unless you accept one single study...and discount a wealth of others. This is just downright dangerous. We need to communicate the uncertainty and be honest." --Peter Thorne, U.K. Met Office

Thorne in another e-mail: “I also think the science is being manipulated to put a political spin on it.”
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybel...eir-science/2/