BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
On paper, it's a centerman that we need the most. There's still quite a few of those out there.

If you buy into Yzerman's philosophy on taking flyers on ex-first rounders and you also believe we need to replace some of Downie's lost grit, Gilbert Brule is still available.
I'd be OK with Brule. Or Cal O'Reilly. Or Namestnikov...
Old 07-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

LOL Tim.. But yeah I'm still interested in what we'll do about 3rd line center.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:58 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
There is absolutely no way that you win a bidding war for Brown and as part of the offer to Brown was to let the remainder of the 2011-12 season count for the first of a two-year ELC -- and then you send him him to AHL for the only season you have to evaluate him before you have to re-sign.

There's no way Brown isn't on the NHL roster.
Isn't he an RFA at the end of the year? He would be no different than Tic or any of the other RFAs that are playing in Syracuse - you still would have his rights. If you can send Connolly down, why not Brown?
Old 07-08-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
On paper, it's a centerman that we need the most. There's still quite a few of those out there.

If you buy into Yzerman's philosophy on taking flyers on ex-first rounders and you also believe we need to replace some of Downie's lost grit, Gilbert Brule is still available.
Brule and Salo were two guys who stood out to me before free agency started.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Isn't he an RFA at the end of the year? He would be no different than Tic or any of the other RFAs that are playing in Syracuse - you still would have his rights. If you can send Connolly down, why not Brown?
He's RFA. But still have to give him another contract, and so he's gonna get evaluated in the role he was signed for. And given the way he played at the end of the season, he's just not going to start off in the A. Now, if he falls flat the few months, I'm not saying its impossible for him to end up in NY, but he won't start there.

Re: Connolly, he's already had a year audition in Tampa. You know where he is with respect to NHL competition. Is he out of place? No. Does he impact the game consistently? Not yet.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Cooper's Law

I understand your thinking, but I look at the former Norfolk team and think it's going to be real discouraging to those players to think that no one from that team is worthy of being promoted to the Bolts.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:50 AM

Brown trying to make a good camp impression

Quote:
"We want to get him in, see what kind of shape he is in and just kind of check up on him and make sure he's headed in the right direction and having a good offseason,'' Yzerman said. " And for him it's going to be very important because he's got some strong competition for a roster spot with Connolly and Conacher, who are all good guys right around the same age as J.T. But we like him and glad that he is here. He's got some NHL experience under him so it's a very important off-season to train and, just like the other young guys, put a foot forward at training camp if they want to have an opportunity to make the team.''
Maybe it's just standard camp talk trying to make him not take it for granted but who knows.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Administrator

No way he can tank the summer. My opinion is assuming he doesn't. Brown is a superior skater to both Conacher and Killorn, which is yet another advantage.

If you look at my first post again, I have Brown inked as part of the 11 forwards, leaving two open slots for Norfolk guys. IMO Conacher and Killorn is fighting with Wilson Labrie and Connolly for those two spots. Not with Brown.

But Brown can't take anything for granted. And for all I know, the org might have Connolly inked too, and there is only one slot open.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

I agree with just about everything that is being tossed about here. I like J.T. Brown. He shoots the damn puck. I think our top six looks good, our 8 dmen are set and we still need offense from our third line. I would hate to go into this season without a replacement for Dominic Moore. He did a lot of little things right (leadership, defense, getting under opponents' skin) AND could pop 35-40 points. What other centers are available?

Just please, please don't be suckered by Gilbert "Creme" Brule! He shows up once every three years to fool GMs into thinking he belongs in the NHL. He's a classic tweener who has never proven he can produce in a third-line role and isn't consistent enough in ANY role. I'd rather the Bolts address third-line center from within and sign a big, productive, tough power forward like Jeff Fehr than waste our time with Brule.

I also like the idea of one of the AHL kids giving Connolly a run for a roster spot. I'm just not sold on Connolly (still smarting over Jeff Skinner) and would like to see him pushed.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Administrator

I'd love to promote 3rd line center from within. However, I don't think Killorn has the foot speed this season to step into center at NHL. And Conacher didn't play much center last year so I think his chances of stepping into that role is low.

That leaves guys like Wyman and Pyatt and Kyle Wilson who have all pulled NHL shifts as a lower liner center, with Wilson having perhaps the best offensive acumen. But are any of those guys Dom Moore replacements? Hard to say. Nate Thompson is still the front runner if you ask me. Labrie and Connolly and Conacher all vying for a winger slot.

I'm probably gonna get dismissed for this comment, but barring another FA signing, I think the door is open for Namestnikov to have a fabulous camp and grab the "open" 3rd line center role. He's a fantastic two-way center -- very responsible in his own zone -- and I think is a dark horse to sneak in a win that spot.

Can't wait til camp