BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-07-2012, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Default Early Roster Reflections

With BriseBois earlier in the week indicating he was pretty much done with the Syracuse roster, I found that a little hard to believe considering the lack of veteran depth for the blueline. So, I decided to break down the players under contract and predict where they slot in. Defense and Goaltending is pretty easy to predict, but there's a couple of open slots available for forward and a number of players competing.

Expect 13 roster slots for forwards, with 11 players written in ink IMO. That leaves 2 slots with about 6 players IMO fighting for those 2 wildcard spots. Connolly and Wyman have the upper hand given the number of NHL games both have already played, but Labrie, Wilson, Conacher, and Killorn will be among a competitive group vying for an NHL roster spot. All 6 players are on two-way contracts with Wyman, Labrie, and Wilson needing to clear waivers to be reassigned to Syracuse.

Tampa Bay

Forwards (13) : Stamkos, MSL, Purcell, Lecavalier, Malone, Pouliot, Thompson, Tyrell, Pyall, Hall, Brown, Connolly*, Wyman*

Defensemen (8) : Carle, Hedman, Brewer, Salo, Lee, Mikkelson, Bergeron, Aulie, Ohlund (IR)

Goalies (2) : Lindback, Garon

I find it really hard to believe that Yzerman/BriseBois is done with the Syracuse blueline. Taormina has plenty of offense, but struggles defensively. Just can't imagine going into the season with a third-pair of Landry and Nightingale.

Perhaps the organization is already not planning on sending back Milan and Sergeev to juniors, but I find that hard to believe as I think both those players need another year. Perhaps the organization is planning on re-signing Kevin Quick to another AHL/ECHL contract. I think there's one or two other depth signings, and I may I once again suggest Taylor Chorney who was not QO'd by EDM.

Syracuse

Forwards (15) : Conacher*, Killorn*, Labrie*, Wilson*, Angelidis, Panik, Palat, Johnson, Hutchings, Namestnikov, Gauthier, Devos, Langelier-Parent, Neilson

Defensemen (7) : Taormina, Oberg, Barberio, Gudas, Cote, Landry, Nightingale

Goalies (2) : Helenius, Tokarski

Elsewhere

Janus (not yet re-signed), Nagle, Milan*, Sergeev*
Old 07-07-2012, 08:00 PM
The Constrictor

You forgot JP Cote on D in Syracuse. I think he may qualify as that 3rd pairing D-man you mentioned they need. Although I think he's more of a 2nd pair guy.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:06 PM
BP Staff

You forget we also have J.P. Cote signed to Syracuse, which makes things quite a bit better.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Cooper's Law

Thanks for initiating the discussion. This is about all we are going to have to talk about for the next month and a half.

I'm not convinced that Connolly is going to be with the Lightning next year. For that matter, I'm not sure that Brown will be there either. So I think an opening is there for Conacher or Killorn.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Old-Skool Assassin

Not a Defenseman, but where's ?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:43 PM
BP Staff

Indeed. I'm very excited about how well Panik played in the last 3 rounds of the playoffs.

I still expect one more forward signing before the start of camp, personally.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Updated to include the Panik and Cote omissions. Thanks!
Old 07-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Thanks for initiating the discussion. This is about all we are going to have to talk about for the next month and a half.

I'm not convinced that Connolly is going to be with the Lightning next year. For that matter, I'm not sure that Brown will be there either. So I think an opening is there for Conacher or Killorn.
There is absolutely no way that you win a bidding war for Brown and as part of the offer to Brown was to let the remainder of the 2011-12 season count for the first of a two-year ELC -- and then you send him him to AHL for the only season you have to evaluate him before you have to re-sign.

There's no way Brown isn't on the NHL roster.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Indeed. I'm very excited about how well Panik played in the last 3 rounds of the playoffs.

I still expect one more forward signing before the start of camp, personally.
From your keyboard to SY's ears. Tell him to sign Eric Fehr.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:14 PM
BP Staff

On paper, it's a centerman that we need the most. There's still quite a few of those out there.

If you buy into Yzerman's philosophy on taking flyers on ex-first rounders and you also believe we need to replace some of Downie's lost grit, Gilbert Brule is still available.