BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Old 06-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Snoozin' Zyuzin (aka Suddenly Susan)

Send a message via AIM to Sean

Yeah. I don't see the Leafs picking Grigorenko. If Galchenyuk is off the board when #5 rolls around, I could totally see them taking Trouba. Good call Pete.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:30 PM
BP Staff

I wouldn't say Grigorenko has the iron clad reputation you ascribe to him. Here's a little taste of what RLR has to say:

Quote:
"... his compete level is utterly lacking and downright embarrassing at times, including an outright refusal to battle for loose pucks. Rarely plays a forceful physical game to drive the net and lacks fire and intensity. Shows very little effort when the puck is not on his stick. Typical enigmatic Russian...

Projection: Skilled, lazy 1st liner with no compete level.
Style compares to: Alex Kovalev"
There's a reason this guy is falling like a stone.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Default Grigs

Hopefully the Canes take him and leave us with Reilly or Reinhart to choose from.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I wouldn't say Grigorenko has the iron clad reputation you ascribe to him. Here's a little taste of what RLR has to say:

Surround him with the right players and staff that can get him to want to be better and you have a sure-fire steal. Panik had compete issues but look at how he exploded during the second half of the season
Old 06-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post

First time I've read that. Does change my opinion a bit.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 PM
BP Staff

Folks, believe me, guys like Grigorenko can become cancers who can cripple your organization. There's no reason to gamble on a guy like this. There are other teams in the lottery who don't have a franchise player and maybe need to risk on someone like Grigorenko. Not us. We have Stamkos, and we have plenty of pieces at forward to put around him like Connolly, Brown, Killorn, Panik, and on and on and on.

Like I said, you can't swing a cat without hitting a really good defenseman prospect, and Lord knows we need a few. It's not the flashy move, but loading up on guys like Lindholm or Pouliot or Maattta and the like is really the way to get to another Cup. Playing Russian roulette (pun intended) isn't.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSpace View Post
Surround him with the right players and staff that can get him to want to be better and you have a sure-fire steal. Panik had compete issues but look at how he exploded during the second half of the season
We also got Panik in the second round, look at how he fell. Its a tough call, would all depend on how he handled himself during interviews and at the combine and talking to his coaches.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
First time I've read that. Does change my opinion a bit.
I've had this discussion with Chad: a lot of people take shots at RLR and Woodlief for being as blunt as they are about players, but put 2+2 together. There's a reason Grigorenko has plummeted to 12 in TSN's rankings. Why do you think that is? The fact is the guy's work ethic imploded down the stretch and in the playoffs.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
We also got Panik in the second round
Exactly.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSpace View Post
But Panik was selected in the 2nd, not 10th overall.