BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

The only goalies worth giving up a 1st rounder IMO is Schneider and Bernier. As I see it, I'm expecting SFY to be using his picks on players. Obviously things could change, but... Not counting on the young goalie of the future ATM
Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM
BP Staff

Maatta having a fantastic playoff right now for London.

I'm through the first period of watching Ceci's game from last Friday. Big, righty, good skater, point producer... though not impressed with is intensity right now. It's early.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Steve Ludzik's Leisure Suit Vest

I don't like drafting goalies in the first round it's simply to risky in my opinion and normally there are enough good goalies availible later...
Old 04-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Swedish Battle Tank

I do not see us trading a first unless It's for schneider. A package for luongo would probably include a high 2nd. That would leave us with both firsts and 3 second rounders. Since this draft is more defense-heavy, I think it would be wise to use Detroit's first on a forward, as the talent in forwards drops significantly the later you get. I'd love to take Girgensons with that Detroit pick. D-men like Severson, Ville Pokka, Calle Andersson and possibly Bystrom will still be there in the 2nd.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:49 PM
BP Staff

I agree with 56 about trading that second first. I still don't think Luongo will cost that much considering the length of his contract you're taking on. Now, if you're giving them the Ohlund contract, maybe that evens things out a little bit, but Ohlund on LTIR or retiring due to career-ending injury may have little cap penalty. I don't know about that.

I wouldn't mind taking a goalie with the second first. If that was our only first rounder and we only had one second rounder, then okay, but with all these options, why not role the dice - ONLY if they view one available as being head and shoulders above others. I would think that would just be Subban right now, but I haven't studied up on them very much yet.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

We've had success drafting goalies in the later rounds, I wouldn't draft one unless it was an obvious steal.

I wouldn't complain one bit if every one of our picks was used on D, or if we deal towards next years draft.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
Maatta having a fantastic playoff right now for London.

I'm through the first period of watching Ceci's game from last Friday. Big, righty, good skater, point producer... though not impressed with is intensity right now. It's early.
He's a perfect fit, 10 might be too early though. There are so many good young dmen, can't really go wrong just dealing down and picking up the left overs.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Cooper's Law

[quote=chad;130497]I agree with 56 about trading that second first. I still don't think Luongo will cost that much considering the length of his contract you're taking on. Now, if you're giving them the Ohlund contract, maybe that evens things out a little bit, but Ohlund on LTIR or retiring due to career-ending injury may have little cap penalty. I don't know about that. [\QUOTE]

We need to dump a long term contract to take on Luango. I've always thought that you would have to trade Vinny for that cap room. (not advocating, just reality) But Ohlund would be another option. If you give back a contract the number of hockey assets that you would need to give up gets larger. If you don't give back a contract, the trade is going to be a low pick and cap space.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 PM
BP Staff

Really I think it's all moot because Lu's contract is just too long to offer any kind of flexibility when his game goes in the toilet in 4 years. Bob McK even said he's got about 4 years left in him.

He's already on the decline.

Steer clear of him.

We desperately need quality GT depth though and we have a gaping hole in front of Tokarski. We did coming into this year and last year, too. We need someone around 25 who can grow with Hedman and Stamkos.

Ideally that player would have been Helenius, but while he may be the same projected skill level now, the route he's taken has eliminated how much you trust him.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Swedish Battle Tank

If neither schneider or luongo are options, who becomes the ideal fit? IMO bernier is not the answer and is way too much of a risk to throw assets at and have him as the go to guy. A promising young goalie with no experience as a starter is not what we need. There were rumblings last year that buffalo might trade Miller. Seems unlikely, but does he fit?