BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Old 06-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

I'm reading that some think that Campbell is one-and-done in Windsor.

Since Campbell won't technically be drafted "out of" the CHL (he'll be drafted out of the USNDT), he shouldn't be restricted by the 20-year age limit imposed by a contract between the AHL and CHL. (I think he is subject to same rules as players drafted out of college or players drafted out of Europe that later play in the CHL).

So... this time next year, you can hand Campbell an ELC and he could be sitting in a Norfolk Admirals uniform by the start of the 2011-2012 season.

(Worse case scenario is that I'm wrong and he turns 20 on Jan 9, 2012 and you got him in Norfolk by just after mid-season).
Old 06-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

I'd rather pass on Campbell and pick up a forward. In the third round, Kent Simpson could be available.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
I'd rather pass on Campbell and pick up a forward. In the third round, Kent Simpson could be available.
For the record, I'd rather find someone in love with Campbell that has two 1st round picks (like ATL, PHX, ANA) and trade the #6 for two 1st round picks. You can get a decent forward with the first pick, and then have an extra late 1st rounder. We don't have a 2nd rounder this year, so IMO getting back that Top 40 pick is important.

ATL: #8 and #24.
ANA: #12 and #29
PHX: #13 and #22

Regardless of all that... Yzerman has said numerous times that he's taking the BPA with the #6 and the player will likely be several years out from the roster. That smells so much like Jack Campbell to me. Could be talking about Johansen, but he won't be the BPA at #6 (now Johansen could be the BPA at #8/12/13 if Yzerman trades down!)
Old 06-21-2010, 09:36 PM
WaiverWire

Tim, the same people that told me a year and a half ago about Campbell are also telling me he will only be with the Sting for one year. They did not say why, but maybe you are onto what I was not told.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
Tim, the same people that told me a year and a half ago about Campbell are also telling me he will only be with the Sting for one year. They did not say why, but maybe you are onto what I was not told.
I'm just putting myself into Rick Dudley's hairpiece... I'm looking at the wasteland of goalie prospects in my system... Because Campbell's not subject to the 20 year old AHL/CHL rule, and I can have Jack in a Chicago Wolves uniform a year from now, and in a Thrashers uniform 2 years from now? And, seeing as how I love to trade my picks on draft day and Yzerman spouting about how he's taking the BPA with the #6...

... what's the chances of Dudley offering Steve Y the #8 overall and the #24 overall? Pretty good IMO.

Stevie Y then can select some safe like Johansen (or Nino or Granlund) with the #8 and then swing for the fences with a guy like Kabanov with the #24. And then he has two 3rd rounders in case he wants to move up into the 2nd round.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:53 PM
WaiverWire

That could be a good move. I know his aunt, who lives in Atlanta, would be happy.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 PM
BP Staff

Dudley would have to be pretty stupid to do that deal with a division rival...

Throw Koshechkin in and maybe it's a deal

If I was picking at 24, I'd be hoping to get Justin Faulk. He's committed to go to Minnesota-Duluth, so I'd imagine he gets good IT there, but Tri-City of the WHL owns his draft rights. He's a smallish, mobile, righty shot, with arguably biggest slapshot in this draft.

I'm imagining a guy who fits nicely in the 1-3-1 AND gives you a replacement for Foster as your righty point shot down the road. Perfect fit. He'd be really nice to get, and RLR called him one of the nicest things you can call a player, calling him a "competitive bastard." They also said he "plays angry." Some of that reminds me of Dan Boyle. He played with a huge chip on his shoulder when he was here. That chip is missed in Tampa Bay. When the Lightning thought it was them against the world, they were unbeatable.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Dudley would have to be pretty stupid to do that deal with a division rival...

Throw Koshechkin in and maybe it's a deal

If I was picking at 24, I'd be hoping to get Justin Faulk. He's committed to go to Minnesota-Duluth, so I'd imagine he gets good IT there, but Tri-City of the WHL owns his draft rights. He's a smallish, mobile, righty shot, with arguably biggest slapshot in this draft.
Problem is if Dudley wants to move up, he's got a 50-50 shot of having to do it with a division rival: FLA, TAM, CAR all sit above him. Beside, he'll get tons of press about what a smooth draft day guru he is snagging Jack Campbell.

I'd be damn giddy happy logging off Friday night having added Ryan Johansen + Justin Faulk to the site's prospects list. Justin Faulk would be a fine pick with Dudley's #24.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:08 PM
BP Staff

Or, how about the dream scenario: Tarasenko drops like a rock because, OMG he's Russian, and falls into your lap at #24? I don't think he gets past Pittsburgh, though.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Or, how about the dream scenario: Tarasenko drops like a rock because, OMG he's Russian, and falls into your lap at #24? I don't think he gets past Pittsburgh, though.
Nino/Skinner and Tarasenko at #8 and #24 respectively?
I smell draft dream come true.