BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Old 05-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Steve Ludzik's Leisure Suit Vest

Default Drafting a netminder

Was doing a search on google news for some Lightning news and a story that ran earlier today in the Miami Herald piqued my interest...

They pointed to Jack Campbell, who has a commitment to play for the Spitfires next season. They said if the Islanders pass on Campbell in the draft, the Lightning or St. Louis Blues may select him...

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/2...-deep-nhl.html

Personally, I don't see it. But I'm not the guru here....
Old 05-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Mighty Mite

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Was doing a search on google news for some Lightning news and a story that ran earlier today in the Miami Herald piqued my interest...

They pointed to Jack Campbell, who has a commitment to play for the Spitfires next season. They said if the Islanders pass on Campbell in the draft, the Lightning or St. Louis Blues may select him...

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/2...-deep-nhl.html

Personally, I don't see it. But I'm not the guru here....
I'd imagine it depends on how sold they are on Tokarski/Janus, and who is left at the 6 spot, and perhaps if the guy they want is gone at 6, if someone wants to move up a few spots and we can slip down to take him.

Personally I really, really like the kid. Two gold medals in the world juniors in two different age brackets, and i'm just overall infatuated with his playstyle. Hes very calm and composed.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Puppa Scoopah

I think goalie is the position of prospect strength (if such a thing exists for the Lightning), so I don't take a goalie unless he is by far the best player available.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

I find it funny that some are in such a hurry to be happy little slaves.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I can certainly see St. Louis or Colorado moving up to take him..

St. Louis has got Jake Allen coming, so we'll see..
Old 05-24-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I think goalie is the position of prospect strength (if such a thing exists for the Lightning), so I don't take a goalie unless he is by far the best player available.
Sort of my thoguht as well. Plus I want to see a sound scheme in front of the Lightning net. 2008-09 was horrible and 2009-10 was a disjointed effort. That doesn't help goaltending, when your defenseman moonlight as matadors.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Cooper's Law

If he's BPA, go for it. An embarrassment of riches is definitely something nice to have in terms of trades.

I don't want the team to go out of their way to take him way too high, though.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:06 PM
BP Staff

If you believe he's an elite goaltender in the making, sure. It's rare that guys come out and have that kind of clear ability at age 17-18, though.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:46 AM
BP Staff

I don't really trust the Miami Herald for hockey news, but...

That'd be quite a jump for Campbell, who a month ago was thought to be a late first rounder.

As Pete said, if you think he's ELITE, then sure...

... but a lot will depend on how much Yzerman thinks of the current farm/organization. I'd say GT prospects are the strongest we've had right now, but... if an outsider like Yzerman sees that TB is weak in net and weak on defense - he drafts based on his perception of need. I can't imagine him being that "shallow" about it, though. You never know the respect level of what's been left for the new guy, though.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:56 PM

Chris Botta has a post up, which grants a "sneak peak at a scout's draft board"

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/06/21/a...s-draft-board/

Campbell is listed ahead of Seguin to this guy...
Old 06-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Jack Campbell, G, U.S. Development Program -- "Might be a surprise for some, but I have no doubt. Right after Hall, Campbell (pictured) is the biggest high-end talent in the draft. A franchise goalie. A winner -- look at his international play. After one year in Windsor (OHL), he could step right into the NHL. I know he probably won't go in the top five. But in five years, it wouldn't surprise me if he was the biggest name from this draft."

Brett Connolly, RW, Prince George (WHL) -- "The hip injury doesn't bother me. Some team is going to get very lucky he dropped to them. Connolly will be a 35-goal scorer and he'll give you a lot of leadership."
I know we are deep in net, but no one has ever made statements about Janus or Tokarski being a franchise goalie. They're good. They'll probably play in the NHL. They may even do well. But if Campbell can be that good career-wise and he falls out of the Top 5, how can you really pass him up?

The scouts' comments on Connolly remind me of the same things that Marty St. Louis bring to the Lightning. He's (hopefully) getting ready to sign his final contract with Tampa, and if truly healthy, wouldn't Connolly be a good kid for Marty to pass on the mantle?

Quote:
Brandon Gormley, D, Moncton (QMJHL) -- "Very smart, skilled defenseman. He'll play in the league a long time. I see him as a No. 2 defenseman who, with a big push and good coaching, has a chance to be something more."

Jeff Skinner, C, Kitchener (OHL) -- "You hope he fills out over the next couple of years. I just can't ignore 50 regular season goals and another 20 in 20 games in the playoffs. He has some flaws, but there are times when the stats say everything you need to know."
Interesting that Pete has remarked some of the same things this scout says about Gormley -- specifically, that he'd be a #2 to Victor Hedman at Tampa.

Love the comment about Skinner -- "there are times when the stats say everything you need to know"

---

I think I've finally decided to throw my lot in with the Jack Campbell camp. If Campbell's available at #6, I say you gotta take him. You might get a good trade offer for the pick, be able to fill a hole with a roster player or pick up some extra Top 60 picks, and still get a player like Skinner, Connolly, Johanson, or El Nino.