BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Old 03-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

All I'm saying is maybe moving down 4-5 spots and picking up another pick that's all...You can get much more moving down in the first round than lower of course.....I'm only advocating this if you like a guy just as much or more than the guys that will likely be picked in the spot you're leaving.
It's an option...The way the draft looks...it's top 4-5, then a lot of guys seem the same..

Last year it was the top three, then there were 7-8 really good players next..It doesn't appear that second level of guys is as good this year. But time will tell..
Old 03-18-2010, 10:35 AM
The Constrictor

Jeff Skinner would be a good pick in the 8-13 range also.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:01 PM
The Constrictor

Send a message via AIM to Kowalski

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLightning26 View Post
All I'm saying is maybe moving down 4-5 spots and picking up another pick that's all...You can get much more moving down in the first round than lower of course.....I'm only advocating this if you like a guy just as much or more than the guys that will likely be picked in the spot you're leaving.
It's an option...The way the draft looks...it's top 4-5, then a lot of guys seem the same..

Last year it was the top three, then there were 7-8 really good players next..It doesn't appear that second level of guys is as good this year. But time will tell..
I agree. Unless we end up a lottery pick again and somehow end up with one of the top 3 picks again, the player we draft more than likely won't be playing here next year. Why not get a good player in the 12-18 range AND an extra pick in the later rounds that we can hopefully use to solidify our depth? With 3 picks in the 3rd round, you'd have to think a couple of those could be used to pick up another good player in the 2nd round. Look at our 2nd rounders of the last 2 drafts: Tyrell and Panik. These are 2 players that are more than likely going to be NHL players sooner rather than later. Not to mention Panik may someday be a real impact player.

I really think the 1st rounder needs to be a skilled winger or a shut-down type defenseman with good size. We have to start preparing for Ohlund's departure some day. If one thing is GLARINGLY obvious since Ohlund has been hurt, we don't have a #1 shutdown defenseman behind him yet. Someday it will be Hedman, but not quite yet. The fact that Lundin has been our best defenseman as of late doesn't say much. I like the goaltending depth, I think we have quite a few mid-pair type defenseman in Wishart and some depth forwards too, not to mention Hutchings who is a potential 2nd-3rd line center some day, but I think we need to load up on the wings and top type defenseman.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Johnny Shortside

Granlund and Gudbranson seem to fit the 2 needs there Kowalski, sorry big fan of both
Old 03-18-2010, 11:10 PM

I think I'd rather have a puck mover than a shutdown guy.

Not sure Barberio can be more than an AHL guy
Quick has struggled
and Lashoff is in a holding pattern

Plus, i would expect Ranger is gone..
Old 03-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Mighty Mite

Kabanov looks fantastic, plays on the left side, and is a RH shot. I like it.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLightning26 View Post
I think I'd rather have a puck mover than a shutdown guy.

Not sure Barberio can be more than an AHL guy
Quick has struggled
and Lashoff is in a holding pattern

Plus, i would expect Ranger is gone..
Lashoff showed life under Johnson .. but too bad that's over.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:13 PM
The Constrictor

Send a message via AIM to Kowalski

I liked what I saw of Barberio. He's a couple years in the minors at least, but he seems to get the offensive side of the game pretty well. Should be interesting to see how he develops.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalski View Post
I liked what I saw of Barberio. He's a couple years in the minors at least, but he seems to get the offensive side of the game pretty well. Should be interesting to see how he develops.
Struggled mightily in drills at rookie camp last July....but hopefully he will improve...
Old 03-20-2010, 11:24 AM
BP Staff

The book on Barberio has always been that his hockey sense is high and his skating is funky. The question is whether the former will trump the latter or vice versa.

Being a QMJHL DOY candidate certainly doesn't guarantee anything (see O'Brien, Doug), but he definitely deserves a contract and I know he can definitely help the Admirals.

Matt Lashoff is one good offseason of humbling himself, training hard, and being prepared for camp from being an NHL d-man. It's the six inches between his ears. Honestly, you could probably say the same for Kevin Quick, too.