BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Old 01-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

It'll be a disappointing season if we pick high enough to get Fowler.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:04 AM
BP Staff

I think this may be the draft where the Lightning start preparing for the sobering reality that one day Vincent Lecavalier won't be here. We had Lecavalier/Richards and Lecavalier/Stamkos for so long there's been no depth developed at the position. I think this is the year they may start to address it.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Johnny Shortside

Bit premature isnt it? I mean he has another 10 years to go on his contract, and I imagine he will be a major scoring threat (or assist threat at the least ) for another 6 years as a minimum.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I think this may be the draft where the Lightning start preparing for the sobering reality that one day Vincent Lecavalier won't be here. We had Lecavalier/Richards and Lecavalier/Stamkos for so long there's been no depth developed at the position. I think this is the year they may start to address it.
Yeah I think a center with size and skating ability would be good to have coming through the system in the next few years to have as either a replacement (size wise) for Vinny or a third-line center or a trading chip..

Jones has a little size, but I don't think i would be happy with him as a second-line centre..Chewy, Fadden, and Hutchings are all on the small side and Wright, Craig and Konopka aren't really consistent top-six forwards..
Old 01-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLightning26 View Post
Yeah I think a center with size and skating ability would be good to have coming through the system in the next few years to have as either a replacement (size wise) for Vinny or a third-line center or a trading chip..

Jones has a little size, but I don't think i would be happy with him as a second-line centre..Chewy, Fadden, and Hutchings are all on the small side and Wright, Craig and Konopka aren't really consistent top-six forwards..
I'm not opposed to drafting another center with the 1st rounder provided he has size and Top 6 upside, but it's not like the system is devoid in that area. Beyond Szczechura and Jones (who IMO don't have Top 6 upside), we do have Johan Harju and Alex Killorn who do have Top 6 upside, naturally play the pivot position, and have some size to them. Tyrell can also play center, although he doesn't have prototypical size.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:02 PM
Cooper's Law

Didn't Chris Lawrence play center in junior? (Not that he has Top 6 upside.)
Old 01-12-2010, 02:29 PM
BP Staff

He was originally a center, but the Soo started him out on wing (like Jeff Carter - his supposed clone) with the thought of moving back to center. If he did move back to center, it was very late in his junior career. I don't think he did, but I can't confirm it.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
I'm not opposed to drafting another center with the 1st rounder provided he has size and Top 6 upside, but it's not like the system is devoid in that area. Beyond Szczechura and Jones (who IMO don't have Top 6 upside), we do have Johan Harju and Alex Killorn who do have Top 6 upside, naturally play the pivot position, and have some size to them. Tyrell can also play center, although he doesn't have prototypical size.
It think it benefits the long term plan of the organization to draft a center in the first round this coming draft. You're right Tim, it must be one with top 6 upside and size, (extra grit a plus).

I'm still worried that Harju will not be coming over to NA anytime soon (not to mention still needs signed- hopefully this summer). Killorn I'm not expecting to see for at least 3 yrs. No doubt I'm secretly hoping he throws his hands up and leaves early (he too will need to be signed) but realistically though... does anyone have the stones to walk away from a 4 yr degree when youre halfway there? From Harvard no less?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:25 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I'm not sure I agree with repeating past mistakes by spending early picks on centers when we already have two good ones. This team needs to groom legitimate scoring talent on the wings for once in its history. Stamkos and Lecavalier are going no where, St.Louis, Tanguay, etc. are. Has Tyrell completely lost the third line center of the future tag?

W>D>C>G IMO
Old 01-12-2010, 07:55 PM
BP Staff

None of those guys are sure things though, Tim, and I suspect Harju would be better served playing wing in the NHL.