BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 08-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Mighty Mite

They gave us Miller and a third because with the departure of Pronger, Moen, etc they don't have anyone who can take the body exceptionally well and giving up a pick plus a decent defensive forward who was considered a "long term project" because of size and nothing else wasn't that big of a deal, not to mention he was probably tossed in because we had no pressing need to move Arty.

If Millers only knock is his size, I know a big ass, brand new gym in the forum and a guy named Gary Roberts he needs to be spending all his waking time with.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFan View Post
Don't think anyone said that Miller was so great. But at the same time, you wont find too many people who will refuse a 3rd rounder for Artyukhin straight up. I personally don't think that Miller makes this team out of camp this year but he is on a 2 way deal which is where the value is.
If this is true, than I don't have any arguments. None of my complaints have been with this trade...at all. My complaints have been with the Miller versus R2 comparisons. I thought this was an excellent trade because of the pick gained and the salary space saved, its when people are comparing Miller directly with R2 that I have a problem....because 1 for 1 R2 is more valuable IMO; and some people have stated otherwise for reasons that I do not agree with.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Miller's a project because of his lack of size, just like Artyukhin was a project because of his lack of hockey IQ and puck-handling skills.

Miller's upside includes a Kris Draper-esque shutdown PK'er, but obviously he's not quite there yet. Likewise, Artyukhin has tremendous upside because of his size and skating, but he obviously isn't there either.

This trade isn't hard to analyze. Both players have exhausted their chances with the current team and are looking for a fresh start elsewhere. Chances are Artyukhin's back in Russia within a year or so, and Miller is in the Karsums bucket as RFA's with a lot to prove. Chances are its a wash -- the Lightning save some salary -- and get an extra Top 90 pick that they possible package with their other 3rd rounder and move up to get back their 2nd rounder.

The big thing in play here for Artyukhin is he's one of those non-star "fan-favs" players that elicit a cult following, and when those guys are moved, there's a predictable outcry. Folks don't like seeing their favs traded away (and criticized in the process), and that's completely legimate and expected.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:28 PM
BP Staff

It's not like Miller's a shrimp, he's 6-2. He just needs to eat some ho-ho's. He can bring some offense - that's the key.

I do think, however, that come January, when Fedoruk is on the shelf (and maybe even if he's not), we're going to be looking for someone who can impact a game physically on the bottom line.

But again, that's a 5-8 minute player. Miller and his type can give you twice that.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
He just needs to eat some ho-ho's.
All he has to do is ask and I'll pop over to the Hostess Outlet in Lenexa and send him boxes full. It's that easy.

Come on, Drew. Make it so.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:46 PM

ho-hos sounds really good right now
Old 08-17-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFANATIC View Post
ho-hos sounds really good right now
I know... Geez...

Heck, we can all spring for a daily trip to Hooters or WingHouse for Drew...Not sure they have many in East Lansing, Portland or Iowa...

He'll be 210 in no time..
Old 08-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Mighty Mite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
It's not like Miller's a shrimp, he's 6-2. He just needs to eat some ho-ho's. He can bring some offense - that's the key.

I do think, however, that come January, when Fedoruk is on the shelf (and maybe even if he's not), we're going to be looking for someone who can impact a game physically on the bottom line.

But again, that's a 5-8 minute player. Miller and his type can give you twice that.
Frankly, hes got great new facilities to put on this size and if he knows whats good for him and his career, he better start trying to jump in on Stamkos/Roberts workouts. If theres one good thing you can say about Gary, its that he'll run you into the dirt and make you a physical specimen.