BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 08-15-2009, 07:18 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFANATIC View Post
Simply paraphrasing, you said we got two players for one..so two bad players for one means we won the deal? Some clarification is in order on your part.
how do we know all three players will be bad?

Yeah, i think getting two players for Arty is good. You got a player with more offensive upside and then an asset with that third pick..We got two assets for one that - at best - is a fourth-line banger. Im not sure why that's bad...???
Old 08-15-2009, 09:42 AM
BP Staff

I see Cromag's point and I stand behind him that TB has a need for more/better players in R2's category.

IMO, however, you have to fill your (I think) more important scoring spots first, then you can fill in with the easier to acquire/develop grinders.

That's why I said I'd rather be in ANA's position.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Default like many trades

Like many trades this is a wait and see proposition. I have not seen miller play that much so cannot make an informed estimate of his abilities. If he is a grinder with more offensive upside than R2, we win. We have all too an extent been tantalized with R2's physical attributes, unfortunately, the mental side of the game seems to be missing from him. I do like getting that 3rd though that is a real bonus.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLightning26 View Post

Yeah, i think getting two players for Arty is good. You got a player with more offensive upside and then an asset with that third pick..We got two assets for one that - at best - is a fourth-line banger. Im not sure why that's bad...???
It sounded different the way you said it the first time
Old 08-15-2009, 12:35 PM
Puppa Scoopah

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
the man had hands of stone and was a penalty magnet. i would rather have miller over r2. plus, can they afford r2 after this season?

konopka can do the same thing as R2.
151 pims = penalty magnet? Arty was 16th in the league in penalty minutes, so according to you, there are 15 other penalty magnets even worse than Artyukhin.

That's fine, you would rather have Miller over R2. I would rather have R2 over Miller.

And no, Konopka can't do the same thing as R2.

Quote:
If Arty ever scores 10 goals in a season I will be shocked...

Fighting, again, is irrelevant...They have a bunch of guys that will stand up for teammates...The problem guys in this league, who run around and cheap-shot people are all small..Ott, Avery, Hollweg, Tootoo, Cooke.
Fedoruk is a veteran guy who can handle what he needs to...
So, if he scores 4 more goals in a season you will be shocked? What if he scores 5 goals, but gets 35 assists?

No, fighting isn't irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery86 View Post
The difference is that it's your opinion, and not a fact.
Isn't that what all of this is, nothing but opinions?

Quote:

We don't know all 3 players will be bad. The 3rd is yet to be determined, and Miller and Artyukhin have both underperformed according to their old teams.

How do you know, at best, that Arty is just a 4th line banger? Yet, somehow you know that Miller is better than what he has shown so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
I see Cromag's point and I stand behind him that TB has a need for more/better players in R2's category.

IMO, however, you have to fill your (I think) more important scoring spots first, then you can fill in with the easier to acquire/develop grinders.

That's why I said I'd rather be in ANA's position.
I agree that we should be filling those scoring line spots, I just feel it should be with guys who will definitely make it. I don't think Miller really helps Lecavalier (hope I'm wrong) and if it comes down to having Arty or Drew on the 3rd line, I want Arty.

IMO, we traded one guy with question marks about his game for another guy with question marks about his game. However, the things we know we had with Arty were much more impressive then what we now have with Miller.

But again, I will have no problem with this deal IF we end up acquiring a good young "tough guy" for our lower lines.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

I find it funny that some are in such a hurry to be happy little slaves.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
151 pims = penalty magnet?
Do you really not know what he means by that?
Old 08-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Puppa Scoopah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
Do you really not know what he means by that?
Yes.

- George Mason

Old 08-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Yes.
He's in the ref's dog house with no sign of being let out of it. If anyone's worthy of being called a penalty magnet, it's Arty, whether it's his fault or not.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:28 PM

Yeah that's the thing. His reputation has totally destroyed his ability to play the game without ending up in the box for some total garbage reason. Maybe the refs out west won't know who he is and treat him better.

So penalty magnet applies, but I wouldn't use it in a manner critical of him. Just unfortunate.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:24 PM
Puppa Scoopah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
He's in the ref's dog house with no sign of being let out of it. If anyone's worthy of being called a penalty magnet, it's Arty, whether it's his fault or not.
By that definition, the actual number of penalty minutes still applies. My point was, there are quite a few guys in the penalty box more than Arty was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Yeah that's the thing. His reputation has totally destroyed his ability to play the game without ending up in the box for some total garbage reason. Maybe the refs out west won't know who he is and treat him better.

So penalty magnet applies, but I wouldn't use it in a manner critical of him. Just unfortunate.
I can understand your point, but IMO, that's not a worthy reason to trade him. There were plenty of times where he was actually allowed to play his game and he was quite effective(unlike some, I believe it was more than 10 games). Of course, there were many times he had bogus calls made against him, but as pointed out, it wasn't necessarily his fault so I choose not to hold that against him.

- George Mason