BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Default Lightning Sign Stralman 5 years 22.5 million (4.5 AAV)

Hedman - Stralman
Carle - Garrison
Brewer - Gudas
Barberio/Sustr

Brewer leaves next year in favor of Koekkoek. Looks like that's the plan
Old 07-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Default Rather

I like the top pair, but would rather see Garrison pairs with Gudas and Carle paired with Brewer.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:03 PM
Brad Richard's Contract

Yep. Garrison and Carle would be terrible together. Both don't play good enough defense to make up for the other.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

But you gotta admitt, it's a hell of a top 6!
Old 07-01-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
Yep. Garrison and Carle would be terrible together. Both don't play good enough defense to make up for the other.
Not true. Garrison is a defensive guy first and has the size and strength to cover for Carle. Not sure who the pairings will be
Old 07-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Brad Richard's Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Not true. Garrison is a defensive guy first and has the size and strength to cover for Carle. Not sure who the pairings will be
Jason Garrison? He was constantly getting pushed around in Vancouver and a lot of their fans complained about his defense. He's much more of an offensive defenseman.

But I'll add that he is much better defensively then what we got from Salo last year so IDK...It'll be interesting what pairings look like in camp

Last edited by Derek28; 07-01-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:10 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Let's get back to our new top-pair dman that we signed for just $4.5M AAV.

He worked his way up to this elite level after being a 7th-round pick of the Leafs in 2005. Traded from the Leafs to the Flames to the Blue Jackets (for a 3rd-round pick) in 2009, he then had some success with Columbus and registered his best offensive season with 6 goals and 28 points in 2009-10 (also had a minus-17). But he fell off in 2011 and wasn't qualified. He even got released from a training camp invite by the Devils before catching on with the Rangers in a very under-the-radar signing. He earned a 2-year deal from New York after the 2011-12 season ended, and then worked his way into a prominent role after Tortorella left.

#FancyStats loves Stralman. His relative Corsi (which compares even-strength puck possession metrics) ranked 7th overall among NHL dmen.

Here are a couple of stories to get familiar ...

Rangers defenseman Stralman quietly gets job done

Getting to know Anton Stralman, the Rangers' unsung hero on defense

FORECASTER/HOCKEY NEWS PROFILE

Assets:
Has plenty of offensive and puck-moving skills. Owns decent size. Is good on the power play point, mainly due to a hard, accurate shot.

Flaws: Struggles to defend against big forwards in the NHL. Doesn't play a physical game at all, which limits his overall defensive effectiveness.

Career Potential: Offensive depth defenseman with a little upside.

That was clearly written before last season because Stralman showed he can defend with positioning, anticipation and more toughness than you might expect at his size. He's not a people-mover in front of the crease, but he's good at diffusing and preventing long, drawn-out possessions in front of his own goal.

Obviously I think he was the perfect fit to pair with Hedman for a nice, long time.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
Jason Garrison? He was constantly getting pushed around in Vancouver and a lot of their fans complained about his defense. He's much more of an offensive defenseman.

But I'll add that he is much better defensively then what we got from Salo last year so IDK...It'll be interesting what pairings look like in camp
The Nucks were such a mess last season I wouldn't pay too much mind to how players performed there. Not to mention it was Torts defensive system which seems to reinforce my point
Old 07-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Let's get back to our new top-pair dman that we signed for just $4.5M AAV.
Best use of that emote yet.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
#FancyStats loves Stralman. His relative Corsi (which compares even-strength puck possession metrics) ranked 7th overall among NHL dmen.
I like the pick up, I don't like the trendy use of the Corsi stat. 143 defensemen played 62+ games. Stralman ranked 127th in terms of personal fenwick as a percentage of on ice fenwick and 115th shots + missed per 60.

I'm not saying Stralman is a bottom quartile defenseman, but there were a lot of outside factors which influenced his high Corsi #'s.