BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 06-29-2014, 11:50 PM
Rick Dudley's Hairpiece

I feel like we've made room for better players to be in the NHL than what we gave up, however we now become razer thin in NHL ready forward depth. Namestnikov is perhaps the only NHL ready forward left on the farm. I also, wonder if maybe that 4th line spot is open for Erne, maybe learning to bang at the NHL level if the Lightning feel he has little to gain by returning to Jr.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:51 PM
Old-Skool Assassin

Woa. Cold blooded.
Just about every veteran who didn't show up for the playoffs is gone. It's like he did almost my entire off-season wish list in three days.

I wonder if Yzerman is thinking about a Panik/Paquette/Erne line? We need a fourth line full of cannonballs, and Panik could make the fourth line nasty if he's got his head on straight.

I guess a fourth liner is probably now a possibility along with backup goalie and high end defenseman.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:51 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

I see what you're saying, but we don't want to be the Edmonton Oilers. Gotta have at least one grizzled veteran on the fourth line, and IMO we absolutely have to have someone who can drop the gloves, too. I always hated Shawn Thornton, so I'm pretty sure I'd like to have him on my team. Anyway, he's just the first guy to cross my mind. I'm sure there are others, and I'm sure Yzerman is going to sign at least one player none of us are thinking about.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:58 PM
Johnny Shortside

Yeah it's not in the bolts playbook to play a rookie 8-10 minutes when he can play 20+ in juniors.

I wouldn't mind Thornton but I think if they grab someone like that it'll be Tanner Glass. We just lost 2 penalty kill guys in Thompson and Crombeen so if they add toughness I'd imagine that the guy would need to play some PK.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:11 AM
Old-Skool Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
I see what you're saying, but we don't want to be the Edmonton Oilers. Gotta have at least one grizzled veteran on the fourth line, and IMO we absolutely have to have someone who can drop the gloves, too. I always hated Shawn Thornton, so I'm pretty sure I'd like to have him on my team. Anyway, he's just the first guy to cross my mind. I'm sure there are others, and I'm sure Yzerman is going to sign at least one player none of us are thinking about.
Good point. This move does the leave the lower lines light on vet presence, and somebody to watch Drouin's back. I just have a hunch Erne is going to make Yzerman's call sending him back to junior a tough one. He was a standout in camp last year and may be the most gleefully physical player in the organization. Plus I think he's a Cooper type player. Maybe just wishful thinking after Yzerman's run over the last couple of days.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:24 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Cleary the organization was ready to turn the page on last year's playoff-swept team. Cleanin' house. Stamkos' phone must have been blowin' up tonight.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:39 AM
Snoozin' Zyuzin (aka Suddenly Susan)

Send a message via AIM to Sean

Quote:
Renaud Lavoie
@renlavoietva
Follow
Le lightning a libéré beaucoup d'espace ce soir pour faire place à un défenseur de premier plan. C'est du moins l'objectif #tvasports
Google translator says that means the Lightning cleared space with the goal of finding another defender.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:29 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Pretty surprised over this one. Thompson is exactly the type of guy you need on the fourth line, hopefully the money saved is worth it.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:16 AM
Cooper's Law

The wife is really disappointed as Nate was her favorite player. Now my friend who saw Nate and his dog at the dog park every day said that his dog was really going to miss playing with Nate's dog. So there is even sadness in the puppy community.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:33 AM
John Tortorella's Doghouse

First off Ill say signing Thorton would be great for the fans and younger Bolt players- BUT, very very unlikely knowing how SFY operates now. Going to have to be a Steve Ottish type guy, who kills penalties and such. That said, this team got better by subtraction last night. IMO our worst puck possession guys in the four playoff games were in no particular order, Filpula, Thompson, and Purcell. Now two of those three are gone- coincidence? Not hardly. I like Thompson, always plays with a lot of heart, but his play fell off considerably as the season wore on, add to that a weak playoff showing (Again, IMO)... the writing was on the wall. Wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Paquette take over that role Thompson had, with considerably more physicality... perhaps even Erne gets a look... a long look if he shows up ready to bang. Cooper likes a physical team with a push-back mindset. The Bolts really didn't embrace that philosophy last season, nor did they put up much of a fight to Montreal in the Playoffs. That four game sweep left a bad taste in management's mouth for sure.