BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 06-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Enrico Ciccone's Blimpie Sub

when does the Nov 26th game go on sale??

Old 06-23-2014, 11:26 AM
John Tortorella's Binky

http://hockeygearhq.com/nhl-super-sc...iles-team-4989

Seriously guys, we really need to stop with the persecutionist and paranoid mentality. The fact is we are around the middle of the league in miles to be traveled this year and it is about 6,000 less than either of the last 2 full seasons and is 11,000 less than the Stanley Cup holding Kings did last year. And frankly the west travels way more than the east yet kick the Easts ass so that is no excuse.

On the back to backs. We have 12. The least is 9. By my count 24 teams have either as many or more than us. According to the chart not a single team has had fewer back to backs than the Lightning (combining next year with last 2 full seasons). If anything we are among the lucky on that metric too.

Even if we were getting short shrift on this who cares some team is going to have the toughest schedule. One thing I hate is when teams and fans try to fabricate excuses. We had a coach in Guy Boucher that during his last 2 seasons after every loss and many wins always talked about overcoming adversity and during his last season it became a popular thing for the players to talk about. This is not how high performing teams and organizations work. If they are not focused 1st 2nd and 3rd on results and outcomes they are wasting valuable mental cycle time on worthless crap.

After losing a game in the playoffs Daryl Sutters message to the team was, to paraphrase, the plane leaves at 11. He has no time for BS and excuses and that is why his team is self policing. I think Coop does a good job with this and I think the players and fans would do well to do the same. It's how a winning culture is nurtured.

I teach my kids that if they "excel at excuses they will excel at absolutely nothing else in their lives".
Old 06-23-2014, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Preach it.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:06 PM
Old-Skool Assassin

Barlow hits the nail on the head.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:26 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Old 06-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Yeah I thought our schedule last year was actually a bit generous with the home games at the end, so can't complain much now.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:13 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow01 View Post
I teach my kids that if they "excel at excuses they will excel at absolutely nothing else in their lives".
Good stuff. I've often heard the corollaries:

You can have excuses or you can have success, but you can't have both

and

An excuse is the skin of a reason, stuffed with a lie

Count me among those who got tired of hearing about overcoming adversity. We get it, but after a while it got old. Doesn't every team have to overcome injuries, schedule problems, travel, personal issues, etc.? Every team that makes the Cup Final also has to overcome the adversity of being forced to play two additional months of hockey without any salary, just some nominal bonuses.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:36 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ts-in-2014-15/
Old 06-24-2014, 06:14 AM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfgreg View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyseason.htm?team=tbl

Open with a three game home stand and then 9 of the last 14 at home.

NYR come to town Wed Nov 26, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow01 View Post
12 back to back (13 if the MTL game is moved back one day) tells me one thing. We need a 2nd goalie that can give us better than a .891 sv%. I still like the thought of Reimer on a one year prove it deal.
No, we need a defense that can help that backup goalie. I still think people expect way to much out of a backup. If the guy was good enough to be a starter, he would be. They key is a defense who is going to clear out the rebounds, clear the crease, and give the guy a chance.

As for the schedule, eh, every team thinks they got screwed by the league.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:44 AM
Brad Richard's Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
No, we need a defense that can help that backup goalie. I still think people expect way to much out of a backup. If the guy was good enough to be a starter, he would be. They key is a defense who is going to clear out the rebounds, clear the crease, and give the guy a chance.

As for the schedule, eh, every team thinks they got screwed by the league.
Yes we do need a defenseman. I do not think anyone would agree with you on that. We can find a decent back up much cheaper than 2.2 million. Use that money and what we were paying Salo to find that guy.

The one thing I worry about is that we will no find that player and thus will turn once again to Salo, who I do not think has announced his retirement, as that stopgap for one more year.