BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 11:40 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
DePaoli of inside Pittsburgh sports mentioned trading James Neal. His first scenario has him and Despres going for Connolly, Purcell and a first round pick. Seems like a lot to me. Here is the link
Where do I sign?
Old 06-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Dirt Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow01 View Post
DePaoli of inside Pittsburgh sports mentioned trading James Neal. His first scenario has him and Despres going for Connolly, Purcell and a first round pick. Seems like a lot to me. Here is the link

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/st...enarios/65246/
I would take this in a heart beat. Solves many issues all at one...

1) don't have to deal with Purcell's overpaid contract (although many believe he will be back to par this year)
2) Connolly getting deperate change of scenery
3) Neal can be serviced as well as getting some size if Despres can break out
Old 06-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Alex Kharitonov's Balls

Yeah, I take that deal and run.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:00 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Default Well

I would rather take Ollie Maata instead of Despres, not give up the 1st but give them a 2nd instead. Although if memory serves didn't SFY nix the idea of trading any choices in the top 60.
Congrats to Palat for earning a very good contract!
Old 06-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapbolt View Post
I would rather take Ollie Maata instead of Despres, not give up the 1st but give them a 2nd instead. Although if memory serves didn't SFY nix the idea of trading any choices in the top 60.
Congrats to Palat for earning a very good contract!
The original deal is good. What your suggesting skews the trade horribly in our favor, Maata is as untouchable in Pittsburgh as Palat is here.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:21 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Default Upside

Who has the better upside Despres or Maata? My personal opinion was that the 1st might be an overpay, in particular,because Neals immature behavior will get him twice the number of penalties playing for us as the Pens, so we are taking a real chance there, although they could be saying the same about BC or Purcell. On paper Despres looks good and he has good size but he is a lefty, which bothers me a bit. Maybe I am just being cranky and I do know you have to give value for value...probably a fantasy trade anyway.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Old-Skool Assassin

I'd be much more inclined to give up NYR's 1st than our 1st.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Wow, where do I sign? I don't even hesitate. That's a good deal. I'd prefer to only give up the NYR 1st, or preferably a 2nd, but I'd still ok it as posted.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Phil Esposito's Soninlawov

I question this report simply b/c the author referred to Teddy as a "more complete player with excellent size who adds in other areas." What other areas does Teddy add to? Please enlighten me. The author did state that Teddy is a lesser scorer than Neal but otherwise they are both fairly one-dimensional players, not to mention Teddy only has 2 years left while Neal has 4 years left.

For the price listed I see no reason to make this move as we would be doing Pitt a big favor by taking Neal off their hands for Teddy, which would leave the deal as a 1st and BC for Despres who doesn't really fill the hole we are trying to fill. We have young d-man who can slot in, so if we are going to make a deal it needs to be a guy who improves our top 4. Not a young d-man who we get to watch make the normal young d-man mistakes b/c if that's the route we are going to take we may as well let Sustr and Gudas take care of that
Old 06-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapbolt View Post
Who has the better upside Despres or Maata? My personal opinion was that the 1st might be an overpay, in particular,because Neals immature behavior will get him twice the number of penalties playing for us as the Pens, so we are taking a real chance there, although they could be saying the same about BC or Purcell. On paper Despres looks good and he has good size but he is a lefty, which bothers me a bit. Maybe I am just being cranky and I do know you have to give value for value...probably a fantasy trade anyway.
Maata has raised his ceiling this year. He played excellent in a top 4 role and looks to be a potential top pairing guy. If he applied himself physically he has the looks of a #1 defenseman. Despres tops out as a shut down guy because he lacks offense.

I consider Despres a small piece in the original deal, Maata is a massive piece and a perfect fit, but simply untouchable.

Neal is the type of forward that would thrive next to a playmaker like Flippula, rumored locker presence be damned
Closed Thread