BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 04-04-2014, 10:54 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Seriously. If Hedman is entering 50+ points territory and we all know he's just coming into his own ... look out. I dare say he's the smoothest skating big man the NHL has ever seen. And he's just 23. He could easily become a perennial Norris contender.
I harken back to his draft season... when RLR ranked him the #1 prospect in that draft and said he was a better prospect, in their opinion, than even Stamkos. He's not perfect, but his potential is almost limitless.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

There's an awful lot of keystrokes on this site devoted to critiquing Hedman's stick-whiffing and wand-waving and not using his imposing size for him to be discussed as a Norris candidate, isn't there? Or does this get back to the Norris trophy maybe being more about point-scoring and offense than playing defense-first hockey?

There seems to be room beside the Norris for a separate trophy to the Dman who plays the best defense--the guy who will play the man not the puck, use his physicality every shift, check hard, force you outside, rub you out, lift your stick, strip you clean, clog lanes and block shots, protect his goalie and other teammates with an ill humor, etc. All while not neglecting offense, at least in terms of first passes, breakouts, zone clearing without icing or going over the glass, and the all-important keeps at the point...whether those things happen to end up on the score sheet as G and A or not. A defense-first player who still contributes to 5-man offense...same as the Lady Byng is for sportsmanship and not being a prick while still contributing at an extremely high level of competitive play
Old 04-05-2014, 07:42 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Hedman has the ability on the offensive side to do it, and if Subban has taught us anything it's that you do not need to be able to play in your own zone to win it. That said, I admit I forget how young he still is, so he still has time to develop in his own end. He has a ways to go in the turnover/bonehead play department, but I could see him getting there.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

I wish he took the body more often and waved the stick less, but he clearly gets results. I worry about his concussions though...