BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 03-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Vinik said he want to resign Callahan
Reports are Vinik gave the green light to Yzerman weeks ago to spend to the cap max if necessary. I'm assuming that meant next season's max when the cap goes up.

I would not be surprised to see a 5 year $33M contract signed around May/June.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:07 PM
BP Staff

It was quietly announced yesterday the cap may only be $68M next season (instead of the previously projected $71M back in December) because the Canadian dollar is weak right now. With that in mind, I probably would not re-sign Callahan, because if the choice is between Callahan or acquiring a d-man, I choose the d-man.

Also, Sather said after last night's game that Callahan's camp would not back off their demand for a NMC.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:15 PM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
It was quietly announced yesterday the cap may only be $68M next season (instead of the previously projected $71M back in December) because the Canadian dollar is weak right now. With that in mind, I probably would not re-sign Callahan, because if the choice is between Callahan or acquiring a d-man, I choose the d-man.

Also, Sather said after last night's game that Callahan's camp would not back off their demand for a NMC.
Would the NMC be an issue with Yzerman though? He's given one to Filppula and a modified one to Salo, Carle and I believe Brewer.

If the cap is 68 million then the bolts will have just north of 21 million left in space. I figure 15 million of that will go to RFA's and Drouin meaning we would have 6 million in space and need two players. That is under the assumption that Malone isn't bought out and Purcell isn't traded and you can add Ohlund's salary to LTIR. If all that happened then we would have about 17 million for a top 4 dman and a resign of Callahan. So about 7 million for a top d man and 6 million for Callahan and we still have 4 million in the bank.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:18 PM
Enrico Ciccone's Blimpie Sub

Yzerman stated yesterday that Callhan's agent gave him permission to begin talks some time ago.

Yzerman plans on signing him 100%. Of course if all the wheels fall off before then...I can see the plan changing. But I think people will be surprised of what he will bring to this team. He is a skilled grit guy, and the fact that we are softer than a baby's bottom... you will see a lot different energy coming from his line.

I will be very happy if they can sign him for anything less the $6/million. We will have the scorers and playmakers....we need some grit. Hopefully save money with MSL off the books and taking Malone or Purcell's contract off will still leave room for a defenseman.

But I am saying right now that it is highly unlikely we let him walk come July. I believe several of the analysts on TSN and PB said he is worth around $6million/year.... i guess in other words, what the going rate for a player like him is.

before all is done, lets see what happens this season first.

EDIT:
sorry Tim, I didnt see your post before I wrote this.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

"At Thursday's morning skate, Callahan was on right wing with Filppula at center and Nikita Kucherov, though Cooper said he would be surprised if that line -- or any of the lines, in fact -- were intact by the end of the game with the Sabres as he tries to find the right combinations."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...t-time/2168864
Old 03-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Brad Richard's Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Vinik said he want to resign Callahan
Reports are Vinik gave the green light to Yzerman weeks ago to spend to the cap max if necessary. I'm assuming that meant next season's max when the cap goes up.

I would not be surprised to see a 5 year $33M contract signed around May/June.
A 5 year deal would be great, anything longer would make me worry.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:26 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
Would the NMC be an issue with Yzerman though? He's given one to Filppula and a modified one to Salo, Carle and I believe Brewer.

If the cap is 68 million then the bolts will have just north of 21 million left in space. I figure 15 million of that will go to RFA's and Drouin meaning we would have 6 million in space and need two players. That is under the assumption that Malone isn't bought out and Purcell isn't traded and you can add Ohlund's salary to LTIR. If all that happened then we would have about 17 million for a top 4 dman and a resign of Callahan. So about 7 million for a top d man and 6 million for Callahan and we still have 4 million in the bank.
Keep in mind Bishop comes up after next year, as will Kucherov, and Gudas, and probably Drouin the year after that. $6 mil just seems like a ton for an often injured probable 3rd liner to me. Hell, I'd rather get another dman with that $6 mil (though to be fair no idea who will be available this offseason).
Old 03-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
Keep in mind Bishop comes up after next year, as will Kucherov, and Gudas, and probably Drouin the year after that. $6 mil just seems like a ton for an often injured probable 3rd liner to me. Hell, I'd rather get another dman with that $6 mil (though to be fair no idea who will be available this offseason).
Druoin's 3 year contract hasn't even started yet -- entry-level slide.

http://boltprospects.com/contract-info
Old 03-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Druoin's 3 year contract hasn't even started yet -- entry-level slide.

http://boltprospects.com/contract-info
Right, if it starts next year (assuming it does), 17-18 would be what most I think assume is going to be a big time payday for him. Hedman as well. If we are in year 3 of a 5-6 year deal, things could get real tight real quick.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

I'm with Pete. Dman is a much higher priority. Sure we could use a gritty veteran leader at forward (who couldn't?), but I'm just against the principle of giving five or more years and $6 million or more per season to a tweener who consistently misses games due to injury. You could get a similar player for a lot less money. It'd be like extending Malone with his annual injuries and declining production. Speaking of whom, if the Bolts do re-sign Callahan then IMO there would be absolutely no reason to bring Malone back. He's on just as much of an audition as Cally right now.

That said, I cannot wait to enjoy those two warriors in this stretch and playoff run. We're cancer-free, so I'm excited about this team!

Last edited by Bolthed; 03-06-2014 at 01:39 PM.