BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 03-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Again, it is a reason. It's just not as big a factor as people think.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Wish we could have flipped him for defensive help at the deadline. No way we come close to his asking price. I think you nailed would I would deem acceptable, 5 million per year. At the same time, with so many forward prospects, signing him just complicates the situation.

I think we'll see him walk for nothing this offseason
Old 03-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Again, it is a reason. It's just not as big a factor as people think.
But I do agree that the figure Duemig gave is very far off. As best as I can tell most players maybe save 5-10 percent of an overall salary.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
But I do agree that the figure Duemig gave is very far off. As best as I can tell most players maybe save 5-10 percent of an overall salary.
Should be pretty easy I think. Don't players get paid for a per game basis (hence they say a player loses X amount of dollars when they are suspended). So, you figure half of his salary will be 12% less in taxes (the number of home games). Lets say you play 2 games in Tampa (under their taxes). So now you have 39/82 games with the difference (47.6%). 12% of the 47.6% of games would be around 5.7% of the total salary if my math is correct. That would mean to keep at the $6mil mark, we would need to offer $5.7mil.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:42 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
More like 3 - 5%.

The impact is on endorsement money and other ancillary revenues they receive.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
Should be pretty easy I think. Don't players get paid for a per game basis (hence they say a player loses X amount of dollars when they are suspended). So, you figure half of his salary will be 12% less in taxes (the number of home games). Lets say you play 2 games in Tampa (under their taxes). So now you have 39/82 games with the difference (47.6%). 12% of the 47.6% of games would be around 5.7% of the total salary if my math is correct. That would mean to keep at the $6mil mark, we would need to offer $5.7mil.
Yeah I think that's more realistic. It's hard to break down all the way because you have to figure in all the games in Florida (bolts and panthers) the games against Dallas and Nashville (the other teams whose states have no income taxes on athlete salaries).

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxe...e.aspx#slide=1

Pretty good article about business aspects and taxes of Pro Athletes.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:53 PM
Brad Richard's Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSpace View Post
MSL's caphit was $5.625million and he is a far better player than Cally. If Cally is resigned for a caphit equal to or higher than MSL's I will be upset with the deal.
Too be fair Callahan and Marty are two different types of players. He is the type that if you gave Stamkos a feeder and/or finisher he can open the ice up for them. Marty could not do this.

The down side is that many in the media business of hockey say he can not last 6 years at the level he plays. They say this is why the Rangers were reluctant to offer this long of a term on his contract.

I think that the tax rate is much higher than one would think. At the salary he commands and if he lived in NYC his combined tax rate of city, county and federal taxes could be as high as 55% of his salary. Take into account that less than 50% of his games are outside of the State of New York giving him a rate I would think would be around the 40%-45% rate which would be worse than the top federal tax rate he would pay in Florida.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Puppa Scoopah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
I seriously question the high end of what you'd be willing to offer — five years at $5.5M per. I'd have strong reservations about that impacting our future salary structure, and I'd just hope Yzerman is careful about that.
Well to quote a wise man when we signed Val (these may sound familiar to you)
"Yes, the price and term are high, but that's free agency" and
"I was hoping to get him a little cheaper, like 4 years @ $4.5M per, because he had such an unproductive season in 2012-13" and
"One thing we need to be aware of after this signing, however, is the need for size and toughness. It's plain to see that Yzerman cares more about skill, but I'm not going to want to get rid of Malone now unless we get a similar player to replace him."

I get wanting to keep the spend down but here is a guy that actually brings a lot of what Malone does (although not a fighter) is a known leader and terrific big game player. Some times it's worth it to stretch a bit. If we get him for 5.5 and buy out Malone at 4.5 (cap hit) it effectively trades up from Malone to Callahan for 1 million. I'd take that.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Yeah I think that's more realistic. It's hard to break down all the way because you have to figure in all the games in Florida (bolts and panthers) the games against Dallas and Nashville (the other teams whose states have no income taxes on athlete salaries).

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxe...e.aspx#slide=1

Pretty good article about business aspects and taxes of Pro Athletes.
Nah, you don't have to. You only need to factor in the difference (unless you play the team more). You were going to play one game in Dallas and Nashville no matter which team you were on, so that doesn't factor into the away games. Florida should (forgot about that), so you would factor in say three games (as you were already playing 2 or so anyways). That comes down to , 44%, so it drops it down to around 5.2%. No, not exact (to get exact you would need to figure taxes from each state etc.etc.), but as a quick back of hand estimate, a 5% difference would be a good rough guess.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:57 PM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
Too be fair Callahan and Marty are two different types of players. He is the type that if you gave Stamkos a feeder and/or finisher he can open the ice up for them. Marty could not do this.

The down side is that many in the media business of hockey say he can not last 6 years at the level he plays. They say this is why the Rangers were reluctant to offer this long of a term on his contract.

I think that the tax rate is much higher than one would think. At the salary he commands and if he lived in NYC his combined tax rate of city, county and federal taxes could be as high as 55% of his salary. Take into account that less than 50% of his games are outside of the State of New York giving him a rate I would think would be around the 40%-45% rate which would be worse than the top federal tax rate he would pay in Florida.
I think that's why most New York based athletes live in Connecticut an New Jersey. Not much cheaper but at the size of some of these guy's contracts, you could be talking a bout a 50K-100K dollar gain by moving out of NYC