BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Old 08-21-2008, 09:22 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post

Face it, if the Bucs had picked Tom Brady in the first round, all of the "experts" would have said that the Bucs had a lousy draft because they reached for a player when in reality, he was the best player in the draft.
True, but the Tom Brady and Nik Khabibulin and Terrell Davis references are few and far between to say the least.

(Put in the same category as Dmitry Afanasenkov turn-arounds and Martin St. Louis free agent signings)

There are more cases of Sam Bowie or Jacquez Green (sad - I loved watching him with UF) then there are Bradys.

Immediate post-draft grades are fine, and everyone takes them with a grain of salt. The "2003 Draft in Review" articles that come out every summer looking at drafts from 5 years ago are the real ones to pay attention to. But in the meantime, I don't think judging a draft based on what a players draft value was at the time of the event is bad.

To the casual draft observer, I agree - who really cares if TB gets a B or A or C. But to those of us who (have no lives?) study these pre-draft and learn their value - then see who gets bypassed - it's interesting. Half the fun post-draft is looking for the Barberios who seem like steals, or harping on the guys taken too early (Mark Tobin).
Old 08-21-2008, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
Half the fun post-draft is looking for the Barberios who seem like steals, or harping on the guys taken too early (Mark Tobin).
Or sobbing over the ones that should never have been drafted (Brandon Elliott and Raimonds Danilics).
Old 08-21-2008, 10:09 AM
BP Staff

I asked Feaster about Elliott (whom they picked with 1 of 2 picks acquired by trading a future earlier pick to Philly) and he gave me a confident reason of finding a legitimate heavyweight... but he could have been taken 2-3 rounds later (if not as an undrafted FA).

There was a media guy in Mississauga who told me Elliott had no business being drafted. He was baffled.

Dainilicis falls into the Smolianinov, Solarev category. Guys that were never heard of before the draft for a reason.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:42 PM
BP Staff

Lets not forget the immortal Karri Akkanen. What a lazy POS that young man turned out to be.

I think the team deserved a solid B for their draft this year. There was a player or two on the board that I think could've really helped this organization a lot more than Wright when they traded down from the third round. And, trading Gratton for the 31st overall pick was a monumnetal screw up.

However, I'm really happy with Tokarski and Barberio, and a guy like Sointu you can't sleep on either.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
However, I'm really happy with Tokarski and Barberio, and a guy like Sointu you can't sleep on either.
The word from the Finns that watch prospects is that Sointu had maybe the best wheels of any Finn in the draft, but very suspect if he's an NHL'er. Definitely a project, especially considering his size, but one to watch because of his speed.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:05 AM
BP Staff

Yeah, he's got a ton of work to do to build himself an NHL body. But, he has speed and he has hands. You can't teach speed and you can't teach hands, and you usually don't find those qualities that late in the draft.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Sointu made the Finnish roster for a U20 tourney against Russia, Sweden, and the Czech Republic. Source included on the story over on the main site at http://boltprospects.com/content/soi...nd-u20-tourney