BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 02-20-2019, 10:07 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
You really think a Tweet from Markos Moulitsas and a short post by The Hill in February mean a thing?

I mean, put it another way, in 2003 Joe Lieberman was leading at this stage of the game in most polls and he was DOA in about two seconds once the actual debates started.
Again, citing Huckabee and Lieberman aren't fair comparisons if you leave out the 600k volunteers, $6m in 24hours and $600k / month in "subscriptions" to his campaign.

Of course, if you leave out the context and try to make that comparison, it does say something about your narrative.

The money raised and volunteers signed up only serve to show that there is an actual movement behind one of the declared candidates. Now, if any old blue will do for you, and all you really care about is defeating Trump, but not really addressing the issues facing the country; then a movement isn't really necessary.

Biden could beat Trump. Harris can likely beat him as well(if he actually makes it that far). Neither of those candidates can be trusted to carry the country to where it needs to be to be more just economically or environmentally. But hey, it's not just me tooting Sanders' horn because he was for these policy positions before they were popular(Hipster Progressive). 250k donors and 600k volunteers just voted with their wallets to demonstrate one candidate has a movement pushing him along.

Also, if you don't want a political revolution and are fine with Third Way Neo-Liberal corporatism, that's a valid desire and a reason not to vote for a progressive. I disagree with you, but it's a valid position to "not want a revolution(politically)." Some folks are conservative. It's what it is.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox

Last edited by ZeykShade; 02-20-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:49 PM
BP Staff

An internet straw poll. In February. And every new candidate to announce has gotten a big bounce the week they got in, which should tell you how elastic and not worth mentioning it is. Elizabeth Warren crushed that straw poll the week she jumped in. If Beto gets in, he'll win it that week too, I'm sure.

It's way too damned early to get this bent out of shape about stuff that's going to be beyond meaningless in a few months.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:22 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post

An internet straw poll. In February. And every new candidate to announce has gotten a big bounce the week they got in, which should tell you how elastic and not worth mentioning it is. Elizabeth Warren crushed that straw poll the week she jumped in. If Beto gets in, he'll win it that week too, I'm sure.

It's way too damned early to get this bent out of shape about stuff that's going to be beyond meaningless in a few months.
Hey man, I cited a poll that gets cited when new people enter the race. You and Donnie shit on it with poor comparisons that left out the context that would have illustrated how poor they were. I didn't claim Sanders is now the front runner. Let's remember, John Edwards and Dick Gephardt.

Of course a dumbass DailyKos strawpoll this early means nothing. But, the reaction of folks when presented with that poll are telling. The Bloomberg and WSJ articles telling me that Sanders is a one-hit wonder are telling.

What doesn't mean nothing? 225k donors in 24 hours. 4x Kamala Harris 24hour total raised. 600k volunteers signed up. 5-600k / month in "subscription" fees to the campaign. Another nice stat, the graph on this page tracking donors since 2012 for the potential and declared candidates for POTUS 2012: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/20/u...ndraising.html

You can add up the donors from the other candidates, still fall short to those to Bernie.

Like I said, all indications of one candidate having a real grassroots movement. Now if he couples that with a real organization with professionals running it from the jump instead of what was done in 2015-16, he may become the front-runner.

Either way, he's not a one-hit wonder as some journalists and organizations would like us to believe. The problem he faces is that his own success in moving the conversation to the left in 2016 has made it so almost all of the potential candidates and those declared already are co-opting his policy points. The joke was that Kamala Harris didn't have any policy positions on her site yet because she was waiting to copy and paste them from Bernie's site once he announced.

He's going to have to sell the fact that he's one of the few legislators who can be trusted to actually believe in the policy positions everyone claims they believe now, because he has the lifes long history of fighting for them, whereas the other are simply putting on a new coat because it's in fashion.

We'll see.

Some more op-ed headlines in MSM outlets: https://twitter.com/MattBinder/statu...12385558237185
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox

Last edited by ZeykShade; 02-20-2019 at 11:33 PM.