BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 09-09-2019, 09:09 PM
Cooper's Law

Default Rick

I will miss seeing and hearing him. What a superb professional who always did the game the right way. I was always impressed with how prepared he was and how unflappable he was on air. He will be missed by all of us. Best wishes Rick and Vicki, have fun and enjoy.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:04 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Eric Blankenship leaves Lightning to become the Chief Marketing Officer for The Heights District, Armature Works and BE1 Concepts.

Blankenship recently tweeted that he hosted an Elizabeth Warren event complete with a picture. Sammon has been tweeting anti Trump items.
“Trump is ignorant of government, of history, of science, of philosophy, of art, incapable of expressing or recognizing subtlety or nuance, destitute of all decency, and wielding a vocabulary of seventy-seven words that is better called Jerkish than English.” Philip Roth
Old 09-11-2019, 06:57 AM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Would Mishkin be a candidate to replace him on the TV side or is he too over the top for TV consumption?
Old 09-11-2019, 07:37 AM

Definitely way too over the top. He could tone it down for TV I suppose, but then I feel the radio broadcast will lose something with him gone from that. I feel like they will go with someone that has national experience like they did with Engblom.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:44 AM
Jimmie Olvestad's Dimensional Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Eric Blankenship leaves Lightning to become the Chief Marketing Officer for The Heights District, Armature Works and BE1 Concepts.

Blankenship recently tweeted that he hosted an Elizabeth Warren event complete with a picture. Sammon has been tweeting anti Trump items.
No interest in either of them now that they aren't affiliated with the Lightning.

I don't know if marketing was in charge of promotional items but they have gone to crap in the last few years. I remember when I started as an STM there were nice promotional giveaways at games (sometimes even bobble heads), especially in the playoffs. Now you are a lucky if you get a rally towel the size of a handkerchief or some cheap blow up thundersticks that break after using them for 5 minutes.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Phil Esposito's Fax Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
I don't blame him for wanting to retire, but he will be dearly missed. He will certainly leave some big shoes to fill. Pekham is one of the top play-by-play announcers in the NHL. He's been the only TV play by play announcer we've ever had, so he really is the voice of the Lightning broadcasts.
Actually John Kelly who now is the St. Louis Blues TV announcer and son of the legendary Bob Kelly was the first Tampa Bay Lightning TV announcer.
Never a fan of Matt Sammon especially his postgame radio show. Loved to hear himself talk. Big Dog did great job when he had postgame show RIP.
Filling Peckham’s shoes will be tough. Wonder if they will get Dan D’Uva.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutznboltz View Post
Would Mishkin be a candidate to replace him on the TV side or is he too over the top for TV consumption?
Mishkin is a perfect radio broadcaster. I know it's less exposure, but being the radio guy is much harder and he does an amazing job of it.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
No interest in either of them now that they aren't affiliated with the Lightning.

I don't know if marketing was in charge of promotional items but they have gone to crap in the last few years. I remember when I started as an STM there were nice promotional giveaways at games (sometimes even bobble heads), especially in the playoffs. Now you are a lucky if you get a rally towel the size of a handkerchief or some cheap blow up thundersticks that break after using them for 5 minutes.
Giveaways are pretty much all junk that no one really wants or needs. I'm glad they basically did away with all of them (though I do have one of every old bobblehead). They were nothing but a hassle with STMs insisting theirs be bigger, better & first. Don't miss them.

It'll be weird to have someone new calling our games. I'll miss Rick & his golf whispers. Man, first no Chief, now no Rick. Again, it'll just be weird.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:00 PM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
Giveaways are pretty much all junk that no one really wants or needs. I'm glad they basically did away with all of them (though I do have one of every old bobblehead). They were nothing but a hassle with STMs insisting theirs be bigger, better & first. Don't miss them.

It'll be weird to have someone new calling our games. I'll miss Rick & his golf whispers. Man, first no Chief, now no Rick. Again, it'll just be weird.
Not to worry, PK will still be there to ask rambling, 2 minute long non-question questions in intermission.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:08 PM
Jimmie Olvestad's Dimensional Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post

So they are junk that nobody wants expect all the ones you still have, got it.