BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 06-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Steve Ludzik's Leisure Suit Vest

Default Something's missing: Qualifying offers?

Am I wrong in thinking the Lightning traditionally (under previous GM's) have started to tender qualifying offers to RFA's by this point?

I haven't seen news on this at all this off season, maybe it hasn't been passed on from the team to the media... But it just seems a little wierd at this point. I realize qualifying offers won't be made to everyone (the Bolts had so many serve on the roster this year...) but at the same time... Lundin? Smaby? Lashoff? Ramo?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

I don't really have time to go back & look at what we've done in the past, but just doing a quick search tells me that outside of a few re-signings, no team has announced a big whack of qualifying offers yet. We have a few weeks to go still, and I'd imagine things'll heat up some after the playoffs wrap up tonight.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
... maybe it hasn't been passed on from the team to the media... But it just seems a little wierd at this point. I realize qualifying offers won't be made to everyone (the Bolts had so many serve on the roster this year...) but at the same time... Lundin? Smaby? Lashoff? Ramo?
It could be that any news just hasn't hit the wires just yet, however with the recent news about Smitty, that may explain the delay with Ramo getting extended. Now that they are confident Smitty will be ready, that should get things moving along. With the rest, they may be staying put to see what shakes out via trade(s). Certainly you'd think Ramo, Matt & Matt would be at the forefront of priority though.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:38 PM
BP Staff

You typically don't hear about the Q-offers until after the draft the week before free agency. No worries.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Steve Ludzik's Leisure Suit Vest

Thanks guys. Paranoia like this from me is helped along with what happened with Jung/Ward not being offered contracts. Not the fact that happened, but the blink-and-you'll-miss-it reporting on it.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Cooper's Law

Isn't there a sort of gentleman's agreement between team GMs that no real major action takes place, player-wise, during the playoffs?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery86 View Post
Isn't there a sort of gentleman's agreement between team GMs that no real major action takes place, player-wise, during the playoffs?
Pretty much. The teams involved have their rosters frozen, so it'd be unfair to leave them out and/or steal their thunder while they're still playing for the Cup.

I think we're all just bored at the lack of Lightning news, but for better or worse it should pick up after tonight at which point we'll hear Vinny trade rumors non-stop until a)it happens or b)July 1

Speaking of July 1, does anyone remember if there was a lot of action last year or not? Trying to decide if I want to stay home that day.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

The deadline for tendering qualifying offers is June 25 -- a week before free agency begins. Teams generally wait until the June 25 deadline to tender qualifying offers -- at least officially in a press release.

For reference, here's a link to Chad's article on June 25, 2008 -- one year ago -- when Egener and Boutin were not qualified: http://www.boltprospects.com/node/3366
Old 06-12-2009, 02:23 PM
BP Staff

You don't remember Rolston/Vrbata-mania?
Old 06-12-2009, 03:17 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
For reference, here's a link to Chad's article on June 25, 2008 -- one year ago -- when Egener and Boutin were not qualified: http://www.boltprospects.com/node/3366
I don't trust the writer.

Last edited by chad; 06-12-2009 at 03:23 PM.