BP Staff

Default Niskala Re-Signed

1 year deal, per sportsnet. No numbers.

TBL release
Old 07-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Johnny Shortside

Default Niskala signed

Quote:
TAMPA BAY – The Tampa Bay Lightning have signed defenseman Janne Niskala (YAH-nee NIHS-kah-lah) to a one-year contract, it was announced by owners Oren Koules and Len Barrie. Niskala was acquired from the Philadelphia Flyers on Monday in exchange for a sixth-round draft choice in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
http://lightning.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=367525

I think this pretty much guarentees we will be seeing some trading of defensemen going on.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

so... I'm guessing he didn't have an RSL deal, or he had an NHL out.

Good job by these guys on getting Niskala and Craig under contract.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:52 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
http://lightning.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=367525

I think this pretty much guarentees we will be seeing some trading of defensemen going on.
They were going to re-sign him anyway. OK says in it he hopes he can make the team, so NF is involved here.

Their comments about lowering their cap number is more indicative of dmen moving.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
They were going to re-sign him anyway. OK says in it he hopes he can make the team, so NF is involved here.

Their comments about lowering their cap number is more indicative of dmen moving.
I suppose as the only big contracts we have in the forwards we want to keep. Think this means we get a really young d though as the young dmen we have are really cheap at the minute so only Kuba Boyle and Lukowich likely to go. Or I reckon so anyway.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

EE is reporting that Niskala's deal is a one-way contract paying 600k whether he plays in the NHL or AHL. I'd say he just lept above Smaby and Lundin on the depth chart.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Cooper's Law

Kuba should be dealt for a second or third. Luk should be given a chance to bounce back under a new system and provide some veteran guidance and leadership, while sitting in the pressbox on occasion (he could certainly be dealt later in the season). Niskala has enticing potential. I'd love to see what Lundin could do with some confidence and seasoning in the AHL (add some strengthy, bulk and offense to his already poised game). Smaby has value with his physical style. I could see him possibly making the team as a No.6/7.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Kuba should be dealt for a second or third. Luk should be given a chance to bounce back under a new system and provide some veteran guidance and leadership, while sitting in the pressbox on occasion (he could certainly be dealt later in the season). Niskala has enticing potential. I'd love to see what Lundin could do with some confidence and seasoning in the AHL (add some strengthy, bulk and offense to his already poised game). Smaby has value with his physical style. I could see him possibly making the team as a No.6/7.
Lundin is a Rafalski in waiting....his upside is large, given he came from college hockey with a limited schedule and limited competition. This guy has all the tools and smarts to become a 1-2 D man. Won't be this year, but I believe the potential is there..
Old 07-02-2008, 07:33 PM
WaiverWire

He will be in the thick of things come camp as he will battle for a slot.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Keefamania!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
Lundin is a Rafalski in waiting....his upside is large, given he came from college hockey with a limited schedule and limited competition. This guy has all the tools and smarts to become a 1-2 D man. Won't be this year, but I believe the potential is there..
I got to see Lundin in a college tournament a couple of years ago in Fort Myers. He was a joy to watch and you could tell he had a good head on his shoulders. He played smart when he did and did not have the puck.