BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 10-07-2019, 06:40 AM
The Clymer-Olvestad Experiment

Reading Erlendsson's write-up after the game, Stamkos sounds a hell of a lot more like he understands the problem than Cooper does.

If they bring the same piss poor effort they brought in the final 2 frames against Toronto they are going to get demolished.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:25 AM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
Reading Erlendsson's write-up after the game, Stamkos sounds a hell of a lot more like he understands the problem than Cooper does.
I have to say, 3 games in, although frustrated, I wasn't really ready to be concerned. However, when the Captain calls out the team after 3 games, while not panicking, the protective cover has been raised off the panic button for quick access...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
We had 2 shots in 2+ periods, but the issue was the 4th line in the 5 minutes they played?
I don't think he was saying they were the problem, just pointing out the oddity, especially in a back to back situation when everyone is fatigued.

Last edited by Jester47; 10-07-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:39 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbolt View Post
jon cooper should have been gone 2-3 years ago and they won’t win anything until he is. The giant gum-chewing elephant in the room.
305 - 159

That’s the highest winning percentage of all active coaches.

I remember when everyone - and I mean everyone wanted to fire Frank Jean too. Haven’t heard so much about that lately.

Last edited by Donnie D; 10-07-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:46 AM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
His tweet was:

It’s three games.

I think everyone should remember that.
I get that and do agree however I will point out that he was also the one telling us not to panic in the play-offs last year... "it's one game... it's only two games... etc.)…
Old 10-07-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
305 - 159

I remember when everyone - and I mean everyone wanted to fire Frank Jean too. Haven’t heard so much about that lately.
That's great and all, but when you have one of the best rosters in the history of the sport, you have to produce championships or else you are rightfully going to be in the hotseat.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:58 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
305 - 159

Bruce Boudreau’s not far behind and I wouldn’t want him anywhere near my team. Regular season success doesn’t matter here anymore. Three games in and they’re already doing the same stuff that got them run out of the playoffs.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBolt View Post
Bruce Boudreau’s not far behind and I wouldn’t want him anywhere near my team. Regular season success doesn’t matter here anymore. Three games in and they’re already doing the same stuff that got them run out of the playoffs.
This. The regular season is irrelevant for anything other than playoff seeding. Get it done or hit the bricks, Coop.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
This. The regular season is irrelevant for anything other than playoff seeding. Get it done or hit the bricks, Coop.
Doesn't he have like a 1-5 record in games when facing elimination?
Old 10-07-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Irrelevant, except, of course, you want to fire him for being .500 in the first 3 regular season games of the year.

If your only measure of success is the Stanley Cup, you will be disappointed 97% of the time (on average).

Last edited by Donnie D; 10-07-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Irrelevant, except, of course, you want to fire him for being .500 in the first 3 regular season games of the year.

If your only measure of success is the Stanley Cup, you will be disappointed 97% of the time (on average).
Your deliberate obtuseness is tiring. No one is advocating his firing, at least not yet. And if anyone were, they wouldn't be basing it on being .500 in the first 3 regular season games. But you know that and are making a deliberately stupid argument to bolster your point.

If you have a roster capable of winning the Stanley Cup and you routinely fall short while exhibiting the same issues year after year, you shouldn't expect to keep your job.

Pittsburgh changed coaches and won the Cup under Bylsma and then again under Sullivan. Washington changed coaches and won the Cup under Trotz. New Jersey changed coaches and won the Cup under Larry Robinson (I think).

It's not unheard of, and it isn't beyond the pale to suggest.