BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
I'd rather they kept Jokinen over Ouellet. More skill and versatility. And he's money in the shootout.
Skill is relative....Jokinen has speed, but Ouellet isn't afraid to get in front of the net on the powerplay to deflect shots. As for shoot-outs, lets hope the goalies have a better say in the games this year and not so many go to them

Also, Ouellet is $500K less, though now that I look at it, he's an UNrestricted FA after this season, whereas Jokinen is a RESTRICTED FA. That may have the most to do with who goes where.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Captain Poke Check

The Gratton signing is not that strange but it does kind of show how things are going to look next season.

First off, while I don't like all of the FA signings trading one of them would be bad form. IMO, what FA would sign with the Lightning next season if they thought they could be traded before the season ever starts. So expecting them to trade one is unrealistic.

Now how would the lines look, while it might be wiser to not try until the Bolts go a week without a FA signing or trade, at the rate OK is going that might be never. So looking at the signing and player to see who stay and who goes.

Forwards
1: Prospal -Lecavalier - St. Louis
2: Malone - Stamkos – Vrbata
3: Reechi - Hall - Roberts
4: Artyukhin - Gratton - Tarnasky

Scratches: Craig - Ward
LTIR: Halpren

Traded
Jussi Jokinen
Michel Ouellet

Norfolk
Wyatt Smith

Defensemen
1: Carle - ??
2: Paul Ranger - Shane O’Brien
3: Picard - Niskala

Probable Trade
Filip Kuba

Trade
Mike Lundin
Matt Smaby

Norfolk
Ty Wishart - New

Goalies
Olaf Kolzig
Mike Smith
Old 07-11-2008, 08:18 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Defensemen

Probable Trade
Filip Kuba
Tavares here we come then.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I like Gratton, glad he is back in the mix of things. Great signing for a player who could rebound and be a solid contributer. I want to see him on a line with R2 and Nasty.

But, once again, where do you put him? His signing amazingly puts a little more clarity on the situation on who is staying and who is going, where as many were only speculating that he might stay due to him rooming with Stamkos.

This now makes 26 players under one way contracts not including Lundin. So the Lightning will either have to waive/trade/or pay them NHL money for playing in the AHL.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Popcorn Server

I don't understand the hate to lundin, his position play makes him one of the better defensive defenseman the lightning have under contract. Sure he isn't a huge hitter, but he is still growing into the pro game. I expect his size to be larger coming into camp due to his work ethic. So i wouldn't go ruling him out so early. Plus you don't trade off your depth defense, as that can lead to calling up a ahl defender and having him lost on waivers either up or down (depending on elegibility). I think they will be stuck with carrying 2 extra d and 1 forward through the season.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:35 PM
BP Staff

It's not hate, it's a question of having to carry a player on the NHL roster who isn't necessarily ready to handle more than a dozen minutes a night of ice time. He's probably not ready to be a full time NHLer but he got forced into the position last season.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorBolt View Post
The Gratton signing is not that strange but it does kind of show how things are going to look next season.

First off, while I don't like all of the FA signings trading one of them would be bad form. IMO, what FA would sign with the Lightning next season if they thought they could be traded before the season ever starts. So expecting them to trade one is unrealistic.

Now how would the lines look, while it might be wiser to not try until the Bolts go a week without a FA signing or trade, at the rate OK is going that might be never. So looking at the signing and player to see who stay and who goes.

Forwards
1: Prospal -Lecavalier - St. Louis
2: Malone - Stamkos – Vrbata
3: Reechi - Hall - Roberts
4: Artyukhin - Gratton - Tarnasky

Scratches: Craig - Ward
LTIR: Halpren

Traded
Jussi Jokinen
Michel Ouellet

Norfolk
Wyatt Smith

Defensemen

Probable Trade
Filip Kuba

Trade
Mike Lundin
Matt Smaby

Norfolk
Ty Wishart - New

Goalies
Olaf Kolzig
Mike Smith
There is no way they are trading Kuba. Why can't Smaby play for Norfolk?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:51 PM

The Lightning need to dump 1 defenseman and 3 forwards before the start of the season. Ward/Tarnasky/Craig/Ouellet/Jokinen at the forward position, Lundin/Picard/Kuba on defense. They should make at least one deal before the start of training camp.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
Why can't Smaby play for Norfolk?
99.9% chance that he does
Old 07-11-2008, 10:06 PM

Here is an interesting scenario. If you are approached by another team and they offer you a veteran defenseman (Regehr?) and a pick, but they want two of the young roster defensemen, do you take the deal? I would make that trade