BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 11-18-2009, 02:04 AM
Cooper's Law

Brunnstrom is an NHLer all the way. C'mon people, this is a kid who could put up 40-50 points on a scoring line right now. We don't have anyone like that. Maybe you don't like Fabian, but there aren't a whole lot of other options. Maybe trading for Petr Sykora or Chuck Kobasew from Minnesota.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:25 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Personally, I'm about done with trying to mess with guys who could put up 50 points on a scoring line but whose physical and defensive games are not suited to full-time play in the NHL (see my comments re: Filatov elsewhere).

It's being made to sound like the only way to get someone with offensive talent who is also not astronomically expensive is to take a flyer on a softie, though...
Old 11-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Cooper's Law

McKee is now out for two weeks, and Eaton left practice early.

The Penguins blueline is a wasteland right now. Krajicek as the calvary?
Old 11-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Gonchar is expected back tomorrow night...
Old 11-18-2009, 11:47 PM
The Constrictor

Send a message via AIM to Kowalski

I think the offense is starting to click. Too early to make any deals.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Cooper's Law

That's insane. It's never too early to upgrade talent. We've tried Downie, Veilleux, Wright and now Chewie. None of them truly fit the bill as a scoring-line forward.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
That's insane. It's never too early to upgrade talent. We've tried Downie, Veilleux, Wright and now Chewie. None of them truly fit the bill as a scoring-line forward.
Meh. Malone-Lecavalier-Szczechura and Tanguay-Stamkos-MSL is the closest thing we've had to two balanced scoring lines so far this season. Chewy's fast enough and smart enough to play with Malone and VL4. I'd like to see him play with them for a few more games to see where it goes.

I'm not too hip on dealing off any of our defensive minute eaters. I think we got a couple guys in the system that could be a Top 6 guy as early as next season like Carter Ashton and Dana Tyrell -- maybe even Johan Harju. Panik is a long shot for next season, but definitely has the upside. I'm not ready to sell off skill at other position just for a short-term fix. I especially think Carter Ashton has a decent chance and to step on NHL ice next season and contribute.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:26 PM
BP Staff

But you have to figure they have two top-6 spots to fill as Tanguay will be a UFA, and requiring a nice raise.

Bochenski coming back up is even a consideration at this point. At least he can pretend to be a scoring liner.

They're going to putz the season away with these experiments. IMO, Downie is the best fit so far, but he plays so well on the player formerly known as Jeff Halpern's line Tocc likes him there.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:57 PM
The Bulin Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
But you have to figure they have two top-6 spots to fill as Tanguay will be a UFA, and requiring a nice raise.
Better step up game if he wants any kind of raise.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Nothing says they can't sign another FA next summer for one of the spots and fill the other spot with a Ashton/Tyrell/Harju. If Tanguay wants too much, then find a cheaper alternative.

I have more confidence in Lawton to find better alternatives than the Karlssons/Ouellets/Alexeevs of the previous regime.

Quote:
They're going to putz the season away with these experiments.
I dunno. I think if you look around the league -- and especially at the small market teams -- you aren't going to find many teams with 6 "legit" scoring liners. Almost everyone is experimenting at one or two positions. That's just life in the cap world -- and even more so in small markets operating in a down economic cycle. I think its just something we are going live with, as is the case with fans of most NHL teams.

I'm certainly not going on record advocating dealing of Meszaros in order to get a sixth scoring liner. I like the fact that we have Mesz under a reasonable contract through 2014 (along with a few other key pieces), and I'm willing to let some of the gems in our system enhance our already strong core offensive pieces of the course of the next two years. That's obviously just my opinion though.