BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 06-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpin View Post
Anybody see us moving Garon? With two quality goaltenders in the AHL, you don't go get Riku AND sign an iffy #1. We are one player heavy, somebody is hitting the highway.

I don't know, if you were going to spend those picks like that, I would have rather Yzerman got us a few d men. Not overspend on a "meh" goalie.
Possibly, but I think it would be done during training camp at the earliest. Garon is the most reliable thing we have in net.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Phil Esposito's Soninlawov

Send a message via AIM to nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
You'd think Yzerman would be more gunshy on acquiring a Nashville goalie after how Ellis did here.
I think it speaks to how much they like Lindback's athleticism and mechanics that they don't think he'll be Ellis 2.0.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:16 AM
John Grahame's Designated Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
To me the plan seems pretty obvious. Lindback and Garon this year. Riku and Tic in Norfolk. Janus plays with the Everblades.

Next year, Garon is gone and one of Riku or Tic comes up. If it's Tic, Riku is traded or goes back to Europe. If its Riku then Tic gets one more year in the minors.

The following year Tic is there in case one of them doesn't perform as planned.

I'm sure Pang had some input into this deal. Remember, when SFY was hired, Pang discussed that he and SFY talked about Pang coming to work for the Bolts at some point.
Maybe Garon is already on the blocks. If you go after this kid then you are expecting him to be he 'GUY'. You give him a shot and hope he doesn't turn into the next Marc Denis. The scary thing for me is he played behind one of the best defensive teams in the league and we are the worst. Do you think that 2.5 does not turn into another year of 3.8 GA's?

SY must get two top defenders in front of the net and have an actual defensive coach to teach these boys how to play something other than the Hokey Pokey dance of the wiffle ball at the blue line.

If this is the cost for a maybe goalie can't imagine what they were asking for the other goalies.

We shall see how this works out but it is IMHO a roll of the dice let's hope it's not snake eyes.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 AM
Steve Ludzik's Leisure Suit Vest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts_26 View Post
So, If Pang is correct, we're going to roll Lindback and Garon. Then why the hell did we get Riku?.. So Janus can play in the ECHL?

You'd think SFY would go after Helenius only if Lindback/Bernier were not available. Or, perhaps Helenius just wanted to come back to NA?
2012-13: Garon/Lindback
2013-14: Lindback/Helenius

With Helenius (starting the season) in the AHL next season (remember the first year of the contract he's on a two-way deal), one of Tokarski and Janus could be part of a package in a trade for a top-4 defenseman and/or a top-9 forward. Or maybe Janus wants to try his luck in Europe like Helenius did.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Cooper's Law

As Donnie hinted earlier, if SFY wanted to win a Cup immediately (or were tied to the time-honored philosophy of Build From the Net Out), he'd have gone after Luongo. He's willing to gamble in net because "serviceable" goalies are more plentiful than top-tier, elite stud Dmen, and his model sez the goalie isn't necessarily the cornerstone of the team in front of him. He'll use the #1s to solidify the blue line so the goalie choice will look OK
Old 06-16-2012, 08:26 AM

ECHL would be a total waste of Janus and an undeserved step back.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:39 AM

You don't want all 3 sharing time in Norfo, um, Syracuse, so 1 has to go somewhere else.

It is pretty clear that Riku is going to be in North America in Syracuse.

I'll throw out another idea, not one that I personally like. Perhaps the Lindback / Riku is seen by Yzerman as the tandem of the future and that Tic, because of his height, isn't seen as a future NHL goalie. Tic's stock is pretty high right now. Maybe they package him in a deal. That way Riku gets 80% of the starts in Syracuse with Janus as the backup. If you don't move him, they are going to be sharing starts - not the best for either player.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goboltz56 View Post
I just can't see Yzerman going into another season with a question mark in net. This guy has played 38 nhl games...c'mon
Man, and L.A. is so mad now they gave a third-round pick the job a few years ago. Had NO experience....
Old 06-16-2012, 09:29 AM
WaiverWire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
You don't want all 3 sharing time in Norfo, um, Syracuse, so 1 has to go somewhere else.

It is pretty clear that Riku is going to be in North America in Syracuse.

I'll throw out another idea, not one that I personally like. Perhaps the Lindback / Riku is seen by Yzerman as the tandem of the future and that Tic, because of his height, isn't seen as a future NHL goalie. Tic's stock is pretty high right now. Maybe they package him in a deal. That way Riku gets 80% of the starts in Syracuse with Janus as the backup. If you don't move him, they are going to be sharing starts - not the best for either player.
Which is why I think he will use one of the #1's on a goalie.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
Which is why I think he will use one of the #1's on a goalie.
We still have our second. Its likely that all three of the top end goalies drop to that spot, but at the very least one of them will.