BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #291  
Old 09-03-2019, 03:48 PM
Flycoon Flycoon is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,979
Default

Carnival Row on Prime was turrible. Last two episodes were exceptionally hideous.
Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old 12-09-2019, 02:26 PM
gphockey's Avatar
gphockey gphockey is offline
Brad Richard's Contract
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,582
Default

Watched Season 2, now watching Season 1 of Alone.

Pretty knarley circumstances in a tough place to survive with 10 items.
and you are alone.
I think they get a medical check once a week but not positive.

Its a good watch, all guys the first season, a few women in the the group of 10 the second season and one in particular does extremely well.
Very good but a bit of drama like all reality shows. I like the day to day nuts and bolts of actual survival skills demonstrated/used by these talented and determined folks.
You have to film, and are supplied with a satillite phone so you can tap out. There are no shortage of bears, cougars and wolves.

https://www.history.com/shows/alone

Last edited by gphockey; 12-09-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 12-09-2019, 02:30 PM
jdhebner's Avatar
jdhebner jdhebner is online now
Crispy's Notepad
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ridgecrest
Posts: 1,096
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphockey View Post
Watched Season 2, now watching Season 1 of Alone.

Pretty knarley circumstances in a tough place to survive with 10 items.
and you are alone.
I think they get a medical check once a week but not positive.

Its a good watch, all guys the first season, a few women in the the group of 10 the second season and one in particular does extremely well.
Very good but a bit of drama like all reality shows. I like the day to day nuts and bolts of actual survival skills demonstrated/used by these talented and determined folks.
You have to film, and are supplied with a satillite phone so you can tap out. There are no shortage of bears, cougars and wolves.

https://www.history.com/shows/alone

Meh. Most survival shows are fake with manufactured drama and danger. The only exception was les stroud survivor man.
__________________
"To Serve Man" It's a Cookbook!
Reply With Quote
  #294  
Old 12-09-2019, 06:03 PM
the_narrow_way's Avatar
the_narrow_way the_narrow_way is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 5,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhebner View Post
Meh. Most survival shows are fake with manufactured drama and danger. The only exception was les stroud survivor man.
That's the only one I've ever watched more than an episode of. He always seemed legit unlike obvious fakes like Grylls.
Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old 12-09-2019, 07:09 PM
dannybolt's Avatar
dannybolt dannybolt is offline
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 2,035
Default

The Mandalorian is legit. Favreau is doing a great job capturing the feel of the original trilogy that the prequels and sequel trilogy haven't captured. That ramshackle, busted up world building where all the buildings and ships look like they've been there for a long, long time.

I'd like it to have a bit more scope, and some of it feels a little too TVish to really be Star Wars, but that's minor criticism.

Story wise, it's doing a great western in space episodic deal (like Firefly did long ago), and if they are going to go the Lone Wolf and Cub route with the Baby Yoda, brother, I'm all in.
__________________
Bullshit Centrist and Ondrej Palat fan club member
Reply With Quote
  #296  
Old 12-10-2019, 11:44 AM
gphockey's Avatar
gphockey gphockey is offline
Brad Richard's Contract
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhebner View Post
Meh. Most survival shows are fake with manufactured drama and danger. The only exception was les stroud survivor man.
Agreed with Les Stroud, he was awesome and to this point has not been beat.

But, watch a few episodes of Alone and weigh back in, looks pretty legit to me.
Dropped off with 10 items of your choice...maybe from a list, not sure, but hungry is hungry and they are filming bears and cougars in their camps.
Reply With Quote
  #297  
Old 01-23-2020, 09:39 PM
pete's Avatar
pete pete is offline
BP Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,391
Default

Alright... Star Trek Picard is here. I just finished the first episode and without giving away spoilers:

1.) Remember those JJ Countdown graphic novels and how they were supposed to be canon? Nah.

2.) It's visually stunning. Discovery had already upped the production value of Star Trek to contemporary levels, but to shoot in such beautiful terrestrial locations just added a new level to things.

3.) The weakest link of the episode for me was I thought Patrick Stewart overacted like a mofo. Who is this Charminy-soft emotional creature in Captain Picard's body? This isn't the way Roddenberry wrote that character or that Stewart played him in TNG or the movies. I get that something traumatic has happened to the man, but people don't change THAT much. But if Patrick Stewart's acting is really your weak point, well, that's indicative of how good everything else is, right?

4.) I feel like Star Trek Picard starts from a bad place in that it's attempting to rehab the worst Star Trek movie (Nemesis) and a not great one (JJ's reboot) by picking up where those movies left off. I'm glad that the show is going to give the TNG cast a better send off than that horrible Nemesis movie (it was soooooo bad). They deserved something classy like ST VI for a final moment. But it's a monumental task to build from the foundation left by that wet molten turd of a movie (Nemesis). Have I mentioned ST Nemesis was bad?

5.) Knee jerk ranking of Star Trek pilot episodes:

1- DS9 Emissary - I'll cut anyone who says different.
2- TOS The Cage - The OG. Just great sci-fi writing. Like a lot of the first two seasons of Star Trek, it basically laid the foundational tenets of 90% of sci-fi to follow.
3- Picard Remembrance
4- ENT Broken Bow - It's grown on me over the years, even if Scott Bakula still comes off as a whiny bitch.
4- VOY Caretaker - The Mendoza Line of pilots. Voyager put the me(h) in mediocrity.
5- Discovery The Vulcan Salute - Ambitious in scope and scale, but maddening lack of explanation of why the central character acts the fool and starts a war.
6- TNG Farpoint Station - So bad. Not Nemesis bad, mind you, but bad.
__________________
S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2019-2020: 29
Reply With Quote
  #298  
Old 02-23-2020, 09:29 PM
pete's Avatar
pete pete is offline
BP Staff
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,391
Default

So, we're now half the season (I believe?) into Season One of Star Trek: Picard.

This past week featured the gratuitous torture and mercy killing of a Star Trek Voyager character. Ordinarily that would give me cheer (Voyager is the stupid Star Trek fan's Star Trek, IMO), except it was in service of a dark story arc where Seven of Nine grew up to be some kind of angry vigilante anti-hero. Mind you, if they'd off'ed Neelix I'd still have celebrated, but alas, no.

I'm still not loving that Patrick Stewart is playing Picard like some kind of overly-sentimental, soft old man. That's not J.L. Picard, who was as stoic a captain as we've ever seen in the franchise.

Storylines are a spaghetti ball of individual character's background/origin stories and flashbacks that are all, allegedly, pointing toward something shrouded and secretive, I guess, involving Romulans, Borg, androids, Data, and a bunch of other things that have fuck all to do with where I'd have taken this show if I'd have been running it (but they're trying to polish the turd that was Nemesis, after all). It's very convoluted and unlike DS9 or Discovery, I don't feel there's really an episode-to-episode cohesiveness to the overall story arc. I think most Star Trek fans don't care and are still delighted by the lovingly prepared string of Easter eggs that have been carefully placed throughout each episode, but I honestly expected more.

Surprisingly fun has been the weirdly sexy incestuous double secret Tal Sh'iar but worse Romulan double agent played by Peyton List. Scrumptious... and honestly, she's an American playing with a fake British accent on a show with Patrick Stewart as a producer, so hat tip to her for having the sack to try to pull that off. I'd feel like a fool.
__________________
S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-Stammermeter 2019-2020: 29
Reply With Quote
  #299  
Old 02-24-2020, 08:39 PM
WaiverWire's Avatar
WaiverWire WaiverWire is offline
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Tampa
Posts: 7,333
Default

Hunters on Prime is great.
Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 02-26-2020, 06:57 PM
jdhebner's Avatar
jdhebner jdhebner is online now
Crispy's Notepad
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ridgecrest
Posts: 1,096
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
So, we're now half the season (I believe?) into Season One of Star Trek: Picard.

This past week featured the gratuitous torture and mercy killing of a Star Trek Voyager character. Ordinarily that would give me cheer (Voyager is the stupid Star Trek fan's Star Trek, IMO), except it was in service of a dark story arc where Seven of Nine grew up to be some kind of angry vigilante anti-hero. Mind you, if they'd off'ed Neelix I'd still have celebrated, but alas, no.

I'm still not loving that Patrick Stewart is playing Picard like some kind of overly-sentimental, soft old man. That's not J.L. Picard, who was as stoic a captain as we've ever seen in the franchise.

Storylines are a spaghetti ball of individual character's background/origin stories and flashbacks that are all, allegedly, pointing toward something shrouded and secretive, I guess, involving Romulans, Borg, androids, Data, and a bunch of other things that have fuck all to do with where I'd have taken this show if I'd have been running it (but they're trying to polish the turd that was Nemesis, after all). It's very convoluted and unlike DS9 or Discovery, I don't feel there's really an episode-to-episode cohesiveness to the overall story arc. I think most Star Trek fans don't care and are still delighted by the lovingly prepared string of Easter eggs that have been carefully placed throughout each episode, but I honestly expected more.

Surprisingly fun has been the weirdly sexy incestuous double secret Tal Sh'iar but worse Romulan double agent played by Peyton List. Scrumptious... and honestly, she's an American playing with a fake British accent on a show with Patrick Stewart as a producer, so hat tip to her for having the sack to try to pull that off. I'd feel like a fool.
So the burning question is: Who’s behind it all? I really hope they don’t blow it. The Romulan commander that Spock boned in TOS? Her offspring?
__________________
"To Serve Man" It's a Cookbook!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2008, BoltProspects.com. All Rights Reserved.