BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #10121  
Old 10-15-2017, 09:44 PM
the_narrow_way's Avatar
the_narrow_way the_narrow_way is offline
Cooper's Law
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 4,356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
I read this one the other day. It was a good reminder of how bad we the people are getting screwed for the benefit of the very few. The MIC is in the way of our entire nation being provided with cheap/free higher education and healthcare.
Reply With Quote
  #10122  
Old 10-16-2017, 02:19 PM
gphockey's Avatar
gphockey gphockey is offline
The Bulin Wall
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
I am a strong supporter of military. But...no question we can and should do better.
Very poor judgement on the part of many in DC.

Is it time to rethink HOW we do business in DC.
For instance, are budgets/projects like defense too big for elected officials to make an intelligent decision?

Last edited by gphockey; 10-16-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10123  
Old 10-16-2017, 02:34 PM
ZeykShade's Avatar
ZeykShade ZeykShade is online now
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphockey View Post
I am a strong supporter of military. But...no question we can and should do better.
Very poor judgement on the part of many in DC.

Is it time to rethink HOW we do business in DC.
For instance, are budgets/projects like defense too big for elected officials to make an intelligent decision?
I reject the premise that they're "elected". For the most part, they are selected by the very beneficiaries of massive government contracts to do exactly what they do. We're merely given the illusion of choice with our votes.
Reply With Quote
  #10124  
Old 10-16-2017, 04:04 PM
RSchmitz's Avatar
RSchmitz RSchmitz is online now
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,788
Default

Zeyk do you still fully support Kaepernick after recent news?
Reply With Quote
  #10125  
Old 10-16-2017, 04:26 PM
ZeykShade's Avatar
ZeykShade ZeykShade is online now
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Zeyk do you still fully support Kaepernick after recent news?
What's the recent news? You mean him filing a union grievance against the NFL?

If so, how would that change anything about his protesting of police brutality and systemic inequality?

Last edited by ZeykShade; 10-16-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10126  
Old 10-16-2017, 05:01 PM
RSchmitz's Avatar
RSchmitz RSchmitz is online now
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
What's the recent news? You mean him filing a union grievance against the NFL?

If so, how would that change anything about his protesting of police brutality and systemic inequality?
You said he was acting selflessly. So, do you still believe his decision was a thoughtful and altruistic one?

Last week he retreated from his kneeling position to entertain contract offers, and he's now filing a grievance against owners who very publicly supported players rights to kneel.
Reply With Quote
  #10127  
Old 10-16-2017, 06:24 PM
ZeykShade's Avatar
ZeykShade ZeykShade is online now
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
You said he was acting selflessly. So, do you still believe his decision was a thoughtful and altruistic one?

Last week he retreated from his kneeling position to entertain contract offers, and he's now filing a grievance against owners who very publicly supported players rights to kneel.
You're making very little sense.

If your contention is that he wasn't acting selflessly in putting his professional career at jeopardy to use his platform as a public figure to shed light on issues that are far too often kept in the dark, then it is up to you to demonstrate his personal gain in pausing his career. Show me how he has benefited monetarily and professionally from his protest. Demonstrate, with evidence, that he had a profitable ulterior motive to saying, "Inequality and Police Brutality are wrong."

I'll reconsider what he's doing if you show me he's made out like a bandit from doing this and he intended to do so all along. He's not Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson.
Reply With Quote
  #10128  
Old 10-16-2017, 07:40 PM
RSchmitz's Avatar
RSchmitz RSchmitz is online now
Steven Stamkos' One Timer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,788
Default

We've already had these arguments, you don't need to posture as if I'm lining up to make a new point. You can just say no, you still believe he was acting selfless. Proving one way or another is as likely as Kaepernick proving collusion within the NFL, virtually impossible. That is why we have opinions.
Reply With Quote
  #10129  
Old 10-16-2017, 08:30 PM
ZeykShade's Avatar
ZeykShade ZeykShade is online now
Guy Boucher's One-Three-One
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
We've already had these arguments, you don't need to posture as if I'm lining up to make a new point. You can just say no, you still believe he was acting selfless. Proving one way or another is as likely as Kaepernick proving collusion within the NFL, virtually impossible. That is why we have opinions.
He has 90days from the time he may have found evidence of collusion to file the grievance according to their CBA I think.

I don't think you've expressed your opinion in any logical fashion. What did Kaepernick personally "gain" from kneeling? In order for it to be selfish, he'd have to benefit in some way, right? If you have an opinion that Kaepernick is selfish and his motives are selfish, it should be pretty easy to back that opinion up with evidence. You don't have to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt, just a preponderance of the evidence. Incidentally, this is very nearly the same evidentiary standard for Kaepernick in his grievance filing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2008, BoltProspects.com. All Rights Reserved.