BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 10-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
You are correct. He couldn't get off because of the long change. The first 2 goals they gave up were on a trip of Kuch that wasn't called and a really long shift by the Panthers that left the team gassed.

That said, Sustr was not good last night. There were a few turnovers that he made that could have gone in and made it a totally different game.

I wasn't nearly as upset with Johnson as Pete. I thought that line played some solid defense. I just don't understand why you would sign TJ to a long term deal at the money they did to waste him on a checking line. We have a great $9 million checking line. The problem is that we are (exaggerating) paying each of them $9 million and not $9 million collectively.
TJ wasn't even used as a shutdown guy. The Point line was actually matched up against the Barkov line, not TJ. TJ was also the only minus forward on the team last night.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:04 AM

Well, Killorn was also minus but the point of TJ playing like poop stands. Does anyone here like him in a role between Killorn and Callahan?
Old 10-07-2017, 10:36 AM

Whoops, skipped over him. I stand corrected.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Cooper's Law

Default Tj

TJ needs a sniper on his wing to be effective, he does not have that now. While Sustr was not very good again, I noticed that Girardi did keep up with the play most of the time and did not get out of position very often. That being said he will have trouble against fast teams and hope to see Slater and Dotchin tonight.

Last edited by aapbolt; 10-07-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:14 PM
Stephane Richer's Puckbunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Well, Killorn was also minus but the point of TJ playing like poop stands. Does anyone here like him in a role between Killorn and Callahan?
Nope.
I bet their locker room presence was awesome last night though.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:53 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
I just don't understand why you would sign TJ to a long term deal at the money they did to waste him on a checking line.
They didn't, but Gourde is showing the staff he's better on the forecheck and making better decisions in the offensive zone, IMO. There was a point in the Second Period, I think, where Killorn (I think) and the D-man backing him up made a strong play to hold the puck in the zone and squirt it to Johnson in space along the wall. He immediately tries a blind drop pass on his backhand into the circle and gets it picked so FLA gets numbers the other way and you waste the good work of your teammates.

Dude's got to show me he still wants to be an All-Star instead of living off plaudits from several years ago.

This message is hidden because WaiverWire is on your ignore list.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:03 PM

He's still one of my favorites. Still has the talent, just needs to use his gifts appropriately. I don't like line he's with though, I feel the lack of speed from his line mates limits his options a bit. Let's see how he adjusts over the next month, and ideally we see his ice time closer to 16 minutes.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:49 PM

Yup......Sustr was trying to get off but only got to the blue line due to the long change. We turned the puck over in the neutral zone and he turned back, as he should have done, and thus missed the exchange.

Don't think that was a trip on Kuch. It happened right in front of me and I saw the Florida player with his stick already down and then Kuch turned and skated right into the stick. We could not believe he chose that route when you could see that the player had closed it off way before Kuch fell.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:29 PM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

I honestly glad to hear Sustr was gassed on that play. He's normally not very good that just looked sad.

TJ has gotten off to a slow since games of any kind began. He had 0 points and was a -2 through 4 preseason games. Yes it's the preseason, but I believe that's how they got to the current lines. For some of those games, TJ was the 2nd line center between Palat and Point, while Gourde was the third line center. Didn't seem to make a difference.

Killorn is almost a 20 goal scorer and Cally has done it a couple of times. The opening night lines are exactly as I expected, because Point is the better offensive center. I don't expect the third line of TJ-Killer-Cally to be a threat every night, but I'd expect them to score more goals than any third line we've had before. If TJ gets out of this early season funk. It's definitely not the start you want to see after signing a big contract. That line is almost a collection of Yzerman's not so greatest decisions.