BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Johnny Shortside

I would agree that just shutting off the announcers and micing the players would be great.

There would be a few hurdles, though:
1. Language. Anyone who watched DiPietro last year or has been on any sort of sports sideline/bench/etc. knows why. I think it would be really cool to get a simulcast on HBO that is completely uncensored and you get to hear all the good stuff (I actually think this would be more fun for a playoff game) but the NHL (and probably NHLPA too) would never allow it because it would make everyone look bad.
2. Who do you mic? Can't have everyone on at the same time, it would be madness. You could MAYBE get away with one whole team during an all star game or something when it's just for fun and the guys are just joking around, but any other game there would be too much going on at once and incomprehensible yelling.

I actually think it would be great if they did a normal Skills broadcast (with better production than Vs. had this year, obviously) and then did some sort of rebroadcast, showing the entire video part and selecting which player's mic audio to pair with each play, etc. Could be really entertaining, although probably way more effort editing together than it would be worth. Could really only conceivably happen in Canada, and even then it would have to be a labor of love.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBolt View Post
Stamkos apparently just scored in the YoungStars game, except Versus couldn't be bothered to show it live or on a replay. They've missed several goals, truly awful coverage.
Yeah, terrible. They missed a lot of live action to show replays, including Stamkos' second goal on a breakaway just before the end of the second.

Stammer looked good out there, especially on that sweet 3-way passing play that earned him his first goal. He's too good for the minors, and not ready for full-time in the NHL. Tough spot.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrice View Post
here's CBC's replay of Stammer's break away goal
Nice shot. Too bad almost nobody got to see it. I'm not sure what the deal with Price was though. Was he just trying not to exert himself and get hurt? He sucked.

Quote:
And who was the blonde at the beginning doing the music? I certainly hope that was not intended as a career defining moment for her. I think that's the first time I've ever heard filler audience appreciation playbacks during an All Star broadcast. "Bring 'em out, bring 'em out... AAAAAAAA-OOOOOO!" (queue crickets). I thought the organist was Sammy Hagar for a second, but it was just the "unmasked Phantom"
Oh man, that was awful. She sounded terrible, and the crowd couldn't care less about the whole thing. Let me hear you.... *crickets*.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Is it just me or were the accuracy shooting targets bigger than they have been? I don't understand how there could be four people who have ever gone 4-for-4 in 15 years, and then suddenly we have two in one year and then one of them almost does it again.

Marc Savard and Tim Thomas trying to rig up the elimination shootout was pretty funny.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
And who was the blonde at the beginning doing the music? I certainly hope that was not intended as a career defining moment for her. I think that's the first time I've ever heard filler audience appreciation playbacks during an All Star broadcast. "Bring 'em out, bring 'em out... AAAAAAAA-OOOOOO!" (queue crickets). I thought the organist was Sammy Hagar for a second, but it was just the "unmasked Phantom"
I was cracking up that entire time. The first 10 minutes to me felt like a really shitty acid trip
Old 01-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
If anyone is interested... I forgot to add the link in my last post but here's CBC's replay of Stammer's break away goal, although they missed it too in real time but at least they had the decency to show the replay (7 seconds worth). You'll have scroll to the very end to get it.
Anyone else notice that sign after the Stamkos goal? Hey Bob! (picture of Vinny) + (Habs logo) = (picture of Stanley Cup)

Yeah. It's really just that simple. Granted it was a kid holding it, but you gotta figure his mom/dad put that together.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

What also gets me is nobody seems to know that they are scratching Stammer for the program he is on. Yes, technically he is a healthy scratch, but DO YOUR HOMEWORK BOYS!!!!
Old 01-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLightning26 View Post
What also gets me is nobody seems to know that they are scratching Stammer for the program he is on. Yes, technically he is a healthy scratch, but DO YOUR HOMEWORK BOYS!!!!
He is being scratched as a result of his poor play and need to improve in various facets of the game. Call it whatever you choose, but a healthy scratch is a healthy scratch.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:07 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstop View Post
He is being scratched as a result of his poor play and need to improve in various facets of the game. Call it whatever you choose, but a healthy scratch is a healthy scratch.

Nope, you're wrong.
It's play three games, sit one, play three games, sit one for a while. It's a program he is on.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Old-Skool Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLightning26 View Post
Nope, you're wrong.
It's play three games, sit one, play three games, sit one for a while. It's a program he is on.
And it is a program he is on because of his play that led to this decision being made. A spade is a spade is a spade.

Why arent any of the others in his draft class that are currently in the NHL on this type of plan? Because their play doesnt warrant it.