BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 08-03-2020, 06:40 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Eric Furlatt has always had it out for the Lightning, and always will. Given the way the rest of the games have been called (lots of penalties) I can't see this as a coincidence.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:01 PM

Punch to the back of the head - no penalty.

Scrum - penalty on us.

I had no idea that Washington could play as clean as Boston.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:20 PM
BP Staff

Cooper said it in his press conference: you know going in you might get screwed over, and they did today. It was only an issue because Vasiy gifted them two softies and the Lightning skaters didn’t push out to a three goal lead when they had chances.

I’ll deal you in on another harsh reality: if the Lightning win this tournament (seems a long shot after today, but we’ll see) the northern hockey media will act like it doesn’t count as a real Stanley Cup. Not saying that to curb your enthusiasm for the tournament. Just saying it to prepare you in advance. If Boston or Toronto win it they’ll actually pretend it was the hardest Cup in history to win and pretend it counts double. If the Lightning win it they’ll act like the Lightning have to win a second Cup just to validate it.

Just the trash nature of the league and the hockey media. Crap officiating. Crap national coverage. Crap all around.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:32 PM

Need to send those garbage refs home they aren't playoff quality.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:25 PM
Cooper's Law

Default Call

Mr. Vinik should be calling Bettman and ask how much the crapitols paid the refs to ignore their penalties. Those guys should not be allowed to ref another game.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:37 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapbolt View Post
Mr. Vinik should be calling Bettman and ask how much the crapitols paid the refs to ignore their penalties. Those guys should not be allowed to ref another game.
You honestly think Bettman doesn’t approve of the refs putting their fingers on the scales on behalf of Ovechkin’s team? How many years/dollars has the NHL thrown at promoting Ovechkin and Crosby?

The Lightning can’t just be the best team, they have to be miles better, and they were only miles better for about 37 minutes today.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:12 AM
Cooper's Law

Default I know

Pete I understand how much the league has spent promoting Ovechkin and the craps but times have to change and the league needs to foster a better group of refs and better PR for all the stars in the league. This has been a complaint ever since Marty was in the league. Mr. Vinik is one of the few who could help move the league into a better direction by promoting all the stars not just Obie and Crosby. They don’t do it which helps to slow the growth of the sport.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:54 AM
Captain Poke Check

Pete you are absolutely correct. The league has promoted certain teams like the caps the Bruins Toronto and more recently the blues. However there is no excuse for the bad goals that Vasy gave up yesterday. It was the typical lightning game of playing for 30 minutes and thinking that you’ve got it in the bag, but as is the norm we quickly found out that we are still a soft team mentally and that goes right back to coaching and leadership. It would be nice if the coach would go find a bail bondsman to find a freaking soul for this team somewhere someplace with some balls to say and do what is required to get them over the hump. We have been waiting for the past 6/7 years to play like a championship team. For me we have become the sharks of the east always in the dance but just a bridesmaid wondering what happened to those glorious years with all that talent wasted. There is still time for them to figure this out but it is fleeting and your mention of the blue jackets from last year is not that remote a possibility based on what we saw yesterday. I hope not as a fan and long time season ticket holder. My wish and hope is that we get the Stanley Cup once more in my lifetime. Go Bolts!

Last edited by goldenbolt; 08-04-2020 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:44 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapbolt View Post
Pete I understand how much the league has spent promoting Ovechkin and the craps but times have to change and the league needs to foster a better group of refs and better PR for all the stars in the league. This has been a complaint ever since Marty was in the league. Mr. Vinik is one of the few who could help move the league into a better direction by promoting all the stars not just Obie and Crosby. They don’t do it which helps to slow the growth of the sport.
The league doesn't care that the refs are biased. It's not a bug, it's a feature. They're always going to show preference to their preferred markets (Montreal, Toronto, Boston) and to the teams with their glamour stars (Pittsburgh, Washington). It's baked into the cake and it's not going to change.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:50 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

LMFAO.
This board sometimes.

I guess I missed where Vasi stopped what, 5 shots cold from breakaways or Caps players that got loose for 1:1s in the paint? Yeah, he was just not nearly good enough, lol, whatever. Considering he made the first stop on both of the goals against, they just wasn't able to fully control and Washington got two greasy goals. At least one of which there were no Lightning D men around. Caps could say Holtby should have been better against the two goals we got in regulation. But then again, he only allowed one in during the skills competition. But yeah, he did everything he could to throw the game. Fuck outta here with that noise.

Beginning of the game yeah, we were running roughshod, totally dominating. And yeah, the last half we didn't do that as much. You guys are aware that Washington is a Cup winning team from two years ago, that is still really damn good, right? That had an almost identical winning percentage as us, right?

If you expect 60 minutes of domination against an AT WORST, top 6 team in the NHL, brother, I got news.

I think there is FAR too much being read into the first real game action after 5 months. FAR too much.

What I took away? Lightning looked VERY sharp at points, Defensively, looked much better than I expected. McDonagh in particular looked very good, as did Hedman. Bogo made some pretty savvy plays, although he's slower than dirt. Cernak was fine. Yeah Hagelin made some of our D look pretty slow, but Hagelin does that to, oh, 99.9% of the rest of the league.

The top line of Point/Kucherov/Palat(etc) looked really good, really dangerous, for about half of the game. I'll note this is more than the Caps top line BTW. I guess I missed where Backstrom and Ovechkin were dominating. Oh that must be because our shut down forwards shut them the fuck down. You know what wins championships? That. That wins championships.

And we did this without #1, our best goal scorer, as Stamkos was out (cue GP suggesting we trade him for 4th line grit), and with the Refs refusing to call the Caps on anything, or biggest overall weapon, #2 our Power Play.

The past is unchangeable. I'm not yet concerned about anything I've seen from the Bolts in the ONE GAME they've played for realsies.

By the way. We fucking won the game, chicken littles.