BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Talk

Old 08-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2min4cc View Post
As a female working in the professional world, I had to respond to this. From my perspective, it's definitely a "man's world." Women generally have to be twice as smart in order to be selected for a position over a male candidate and even then we are not paid as much. I'm not necessarily saying its right for a woman to use her physical attributes to gain advantage, just thought you might be interested in an alternative reality.
Although I am not naive enough to deny that woman are discriminated against, I seriously disagree with this. Working woman in cities are payed more then men now, it significantly drops off when you get into the rural areas where woman are more inclined to stay home and men are depended on more to provide for the family.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFANATIC View Post
Working woman in cities are payed more then men now
Really!? Source?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Alex Kharitonov's Balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick9911 View Post
Education isn't as attractive as it used to be.
Andrews does have a degree from UF so it's not like she's an idiot. She's a pretty face and it helps her out, but she also has an education and work ethic to go along with it. Believe me, I've met my fair share of airheads in the business...she isn't one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Really!? Source?
I'd like to know. Every study I've seen on the subject says the exact opposite.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:24 PM
WaiverWire

In every walk of life many get help from a relative, family friend or a friend. It happens all the time.

What matters is what you do with the opportunity. I think that she has done very well and handles herself very professionally when doing the job. Those that supported her from the start should be proud that they were able to assist her.

Last edited by WaiverWire; 08-05-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via AIM to Maverick9911

Quote:
Andrews does have a degree from UF so it's not like she's an idiot. She's a pretty face and it helps her out, but she also has an education and work ethic to go along with it. Believe me, I've met my fair share of airheads in the business...she isn't one of them.
Never said she was and I added she likely works hard at what she does now. My comment about education not being what it used to be is drawn from years of conversations, interviews and dealings with people in the industry (collegiate and otherwise) who told me similar, even though I didn't agree. Let's just say that when you're being interviewed by a guy who can barely form complete sentences (yet has a posh radio gig) and he tells you you're overeducated and a MA will only keep you out of the loop (since it gives the impression you would have to be paid more), it isn't a nice thing to have to swallow.

I don't care if they look like Charley Steiner or Rachel Nichols...if they can do their job well, give them the gig for that alone.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Chris Gratton's Ruby Slippers

Quote:
Working woman in cities are payed more then men now
I know for a fact that I am paid less than the male I replaced and whose exact job I am now doing.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Really!? Source?
Seen it on the news a couple of times. CNN and ABC. Don't have a lot of time to look up sources but here is one I quick searched.

http://business.scotsman.com/womenan...men.3313399.jp
Old 08-05-2008, 10:04 PM
WaiverWire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2min4cc View Post
I know for a fact that I am paid less than the male I replaced and whose exact job I am now doing.

Most times when you take over for someone and they had more time on than you, you start at a lower rate until you have some time on and show you can do the job.

Example.........If the person you replaced had held the job for 3 years then why should you start at the same rate of pay on your first day ?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFANATIC View Post
Seen it on the news a couple of times. CNN and ABC. Don't have a lot of time to look up sources but here is one I quick searched.

http://business.scotsman.com/womenan...men.3313399.jp
And that article explains a lot about the reasons for the change (like there being more female college graduates in those particular areas) AND it only says this is in a few urban areas. This is not some widespread phenomenon.

Anyway, speak of the devil, I saw this reprinted in the TBT today:

Don't blame the women for ESPN hiring practices
Old 08-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via AIM to Maverick9911

Quote:
But if you check the all-time ESPN roster you'll see it's dominated by the likes of Bonnie Bernstein, Jill Arrington, Melissa Stark, Tina Dixon, Sage Steele and Karie Ross. They could just as easily pass for Bond Girls as SportsCenter anchors.
Oh God, Sage Steele on ABC 28 used to make the Boom Goes the Dynamite kid look like Al Michaels.