BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Old 05-07-2009, 09:31 AM
BP Staff

Default 2009 Draft Strategy

TBL.com article

Some interesting info coming out of this that we haven't known before (or at least talked about - and some odd stuff too):

Quote:
“I think now you’re starting to see the draft really coming up to what its true value is in the league,” said Lawton. “It’s the wave of the future.”
Good teams have drafted well for years.

Quote:
It has been a concerted effort from east to west, with added emphasis in the areas where there are more prospects. Lawton said he thinks it’s important to move some scouts from region to region so they are not pigeon-holed in a particular league.

“We’re trying to have a very lean, but mean staff,” Lawton said.
Lean and mean? Really? I don't have a problem with the strategy, just the terminology there.

Quote:
Jim Hammett, the Lightning’s Director of Player Personnel, is Lawton’s point man for this deep draft.

Hammett started out as a junior coach in British Columbia, worked as a scout for the Canadian National Team and was Head Scout for the Colorado Avalanche for eight years, including 2001 when they won the Stanley Cup. He spent the 2007-08 season as Head Amateur Scout for the New York Rangers.

“He’s got a great track record,” Lawton said. “This is an enormous time for him and his staff to shine.”
Seems like a good choice.

Now the good stuff... With Dudley, it was size and speed and Russian ... with Feaster it was character and grit with a nod toward big dmen who could skate... - then almost reluctantly, they switched to swinging for the fences combined with some "safe" picks like James Wright.

Quote:
Lawton said the Lightning are looking for players with more than speed, skill and size.

“With our scouts, hockey IQ is the No. 1 trait we’re looking for in players,”
Lawton said. “We’re looking for players that will do whatever it takes to win, that understand the game and are interchangeable in their abilities. We’re not just looking for big guys, not just looking for fast little guys, we’re looking for intelligent hockey players.”

Lightning assistant GM Claude Loiselle said the players will be evaluated for their emotional stability, maturity level, overall intelligence and awareness.

You try and gauge their ability to learn, develop and adapt,” Loiselle said. “It’s hard to do in a small environment, but add it all together and you can get a book on a kid.

“Throughout the year, we ask our scouts to really dig in to the kids – talk to their coaches, find out how they behave outside the hockey realm to make sure we get great kids like Steven Stamkos.”
Finally. This means less busts. This could also be a backhanded swipe at players like Mihalik who have all the tools but can't figure it all out.

I think NHL GMs should really take a look at what College Football coaches (at least the good ones) are doing. What has been described here is what Urban Meyer preaches. I was reading the other day how he said that players from good families have - and have had - a better support system and are less likely to bust. You can mold, shape, and develop them easier.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Default Sounds Good

I can't disagree with any of what Lawton said. It seems to me to be a very solid plan of action, which if followed could pay good dividends at draft time.

While a very good plan, the key is sticking to it. You start deviating from it, it's not worth the paper it's written on.

I hope they stick to it.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Encouraging stuff. Seems like they're determined to start getting things right. All I ask is for an honest effort. Hopefully this strategy translates into some draftees we can feel excited about.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Puppa Scoopah

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
TBL.com article
Lean and mean? Really? I don't have a problem with the strategy, just the terminology there.
You don't have a problem with that?

In my opinion it's just a more political way of saying, "We are trying to save every penny we can so the scouting department is getting cut".
Old 05-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
You don't have a problem with that?

In my opinion it's just a more political way of saying, "We are trying to save every penny we can so the scouting department is getting cut".
nah, probably just stream-lining opinions. Other teams probably have more part-time scouts.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:31 PM
BP Staff

I agree with cromag. He's telling you they're going to minimize the size of the scouting department.

The hopeful thing, and this goes beyond the draft, is that they're talking about adding Jacques Lemaire to the team as a consultant. Lord knows these guys need an adult on board if they're going to right this thing.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/...onsultant.html
Old 05-08-2009, 07:46 AM
BP Staff

I really don't care how many scouts it takes, just get some decent return. Dudley poured money into scouting and his drafts were awful. Feaster cut way back and his were mediocre with a couple bright spots.

I don't favor either ... logic would say using more scouts would net better returns ... but really all I care is that there's a clear direction AND a priority placed on the draft.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

At this point I'd like to see a priority put on *signing* our picks.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
At this point I'd like to see a priority put on *signing* our picks.
time is ticking down on Fadden
Old 05-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Cooper's Law

Alright, so how might this new insight affect who we pick this year? Any revised predictions?