BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 06-20-2019, 04:42 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Default Callahan put on Long Term IR

@CaleyChelios

BREAKING NEWS: Julien BriseBois stated today that forward Ryan Callahan has been diagnosed with degenerative back disease and recommended that he no longer play professional hockey.

What does that mean for the organization and the cap situation? BriseBois, “The likeliest scenario now is that we are going to put him on long term injury exemption and that is how we're going to manage his cap hit going forward."

Problem solved I guess. I feel bad for Cally though.

Official now.

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/l...ve/c-307939048
Old 06-20-2019, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Please just start a new thread for stories

I'll move this one
Old 06-20-2019, 04:48 PM
Cooper's Law

Default Ltir

The team announced that Cally was going on LTIR. I feel bad for him but glad for the team. At the same time he must know that any injury at this point could have real negative ramifications on his health. Best Wishes Cally and thanks for all you have done for the Bolts and our community.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:48 PM
Eric Perrin's Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
@CaleyChelios

BREAKING NEWS: Julien BriseBois stated today that forward Ryan Callahan has been diagnosed with degenerative back disease and recommended that he no longer play professional hockey.

What does that mean for the organization and the cap situation? BriseBois, “The likeliest scenario now is that we are going to put him on long term injury exemption and that is how we're going to manage his cap hit going forward."

Problem solved I guess. I feel bad for Cally though.

Official now.

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/l...ve/c-307939048
Fans of other teams(jealous teams) crying that it is convenient this happened. I doubt it is some sort of made up thing for a guy as competitive as Callahan. If he could play, he would. But how much playing has he done lately? It is pretty obvious there is something wrong there. Give him a spot in the front office and let him collect some paychecks and stay in the game that way.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:50 PM

Wow, I had heard it was bad, but never thought this bad.

Time for him to sit back and enjoy his beautiful family. I really hope we can find a spot for him long term with the organization. He gave it his all when he played and it is time to reward him.

Last edited by WaiverWire; 06-20-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:22 PM

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/r...ry/c-307941612

Sounds like he straight up couldn't play most nights.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:51 PM

This doesn’t eliminate the problem. Players on LTIR still count against the cap, you just get relief after the season begins.

I did a rather lengthy narrative on this earlier that I stole from others. I did this when we thought Callahan could play.

A player can be placed on the LTIR if the team's physician determines the player is unable to play for a minimum of 24 days and 10 games. The league can challenge that decision in which case the player is examined by a physician selected by the league and union.

A player on the LTIR stays on the cap. However, the team can exceed the cap by, approximately, the amount of the player's cap hit. Why is that important? Because it appears that you still have to account for the player when rosters are established So let's pretend that we want to subvert the cap by putting Callahan on LTIR. (As Hoek accurately stated, he can play). If the cap is $80 million, Callahan's $6 million cap hit is there at the beginning of the season. After rosters are initially established, you place him on LTIR and you could exceed the cap by that amount. So any benefit would not occur until after the rosters are established. It won't help the Lightning with their current cap situation.

Chicago traded Hossa to get cap space that they could use over the summer to put together their team. Phoenix didn't care because they need salary to meet the cap minimum (and they got other players that could help them). The Horton deal was different. Toronto traded Clarkson (an equally bad contract) to Columbus. Columbus got a player instead of an injured player for the same cap hit, and Toronto took on the same cap hit, but had the ability to add players during the season.

Last edited by Donnie D; 06-20-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:04 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

It's a shame that Cally is done, and this is how it is going to end. While I didn't think he was a fit for our roster anymore at his salary level, I had hoped he could wind up on someone else's. This also helps explain what happened to him over the past three years where he kind of fell off of a cliff production-wise.

No one can dispute his heart. The guy was just immense when it came to heart, grit, and all the intangibles you want in a hockey player. I hope he gets to stay in the organization if he wants to.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:01 PM
Jimmie Olvestad's Dimensional Speed

Always expected Callahan would go on LTIR and still believe he will eventually be a part of the organization in some capacity. LTIR is quite convoluted but will help Lightning’s salary structure.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:25 AM
Jimmie Olvestad's Dimensional Speed

If I have it right, there are really only 2 options. He retires or they buy him out. I'm not seeing this as good news for the cap situation. Dont see Cally retiring if he loses anything on the deal. So, buyout it is. right?

Seem to remember some player that was stuck to us for like 6 years who had an injury. Name started with an O....we paid that guy forever. Was signed by the previous owners.

Was hoping Cally would get a chance to play for a team that had a chance to make some noise. Whatever you want to say about him as a player is fine, but seems like a great guy overall.