BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 02-04-2009, 06:59 AM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47
Post 2/4 Lightning at Penguins

Stuff You Should Know

Puck Drops at 7:30 pm

TV:RIS, SUN (HD/CI Feed), FSN-P (HD)

Game Previews: NHL.com, Yahoo!
Old 02-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

This ought to go real well.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Johnny Shortside

I think we have won 7 of the last 8 games in Pittsburgh. I love it when we beat them, Cindy and Malkin getting humbled by "lowly" Tampa. I just hope this comment wont jinx them
Old 02-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

EE reporting lots of stuff going down...

Smith placed on retroactive IR; Roberts off IR and in the PIT game tonight. Smith could/likely to play Sat nite.

Jokinen left the PIT arena; reported on waivers with another team interested in picking him up.

McKenna gets the start tonight.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Old-Skool Assassin

oh dear god, please get Roberts out of the lineup via waivers or trade asap. Complete waste of space and a smoke or jones would be preferred to his sorry play
Old 02-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwf82 View Post
oh dear god, please get Roberts out of the lineup via waivers or trade asap. Complete waste of space and a smoke or jones would be preferred to his sorry play
I think you might have to deal with Roberts in the lineup for a period of time. It's in the organization's best interest to demonstrate that he can play so that a team *will* acquire him. No one's going to take him off our hands unless they see him play.

The CBA has strict rules on what you can do with old guys like Roberts (remember Andreychuk's last season). You can't just cut the guy or send him to the minors.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice

Maybe (hopefully) Roberts' insertion into the lineup is an open audition for a late pick at the deadline.

I find it kinda odd, if true, that mgmt placing Jokinen on waivers now vs. working the phones for at least a pick. Seems strange to me that no one would at least part with a pick but waiting in the weeds on the waiverwire. Or do other organizations know how to play this mgmt? i.e. no need to offer picks when we can just wait for him to hit the wires and just absorb salary.

EDIT: Sorry Tim, saw we posted the same time and essentially the same thing. My bad.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Per DC: Both Craig and Pettinger are scratched (along with Jokinen obviously). Pettinger's ankle was taped while he rode the stationery bike today, so his scratching might be due to injury.

Wonder what the bottom two lines will be?

Roberts-Stamkos-Downie
Koci-Hall-Artyukhin

??

Also... Lawton says Jokinen will *not* be part of the Lightning after noon on Thursday -- he'll either have been claimed by the interested other team, or sent to Norfolk.

Good luck, Jussi... you lasted longer than I thought.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Johnny Shortside

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
I think you might have to deal with Roberts in the lineup for a period of time. It's in the organization's best interest to demonstrate that he can play so that a team *will* acquire him. No one's going to take him off our hands unless they see him play.

The CBA has strict rules on what you can do with old guys like Roberts (remember Andreychuk's last season). You can't just cut the guy or send him to the minors.
They did send Andy to the minors... just didn't make him report. I believe they could have if they wanted to, though.

Long term injury exception would be another option to get him off the cap, but only if Roberts is willing to cooperate. I'm guessing he wants to be paid, so he won't retire (which would take away salary obligation)
Old 02-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Again going by memory. I thought Roberts received a significant portion of his salary for each game played. If so his cap hit has been reduced by sitting.

Jussi was warned a couple of times to play harder. The first time he said it was his wake up call and actually performed well. Guess he went nighty night again.